Stumbled onto this on youtube

Odine

Disney and the rest of their companies are in the legal right, sure. I stand by my previous post

What you're basically saying is that companies aren't allowed to actually protect their intellectual property. Outrage mobs will prevent it. And if they "felt threatened" by this lousy film, then they could have just taken it down. This whole thing is literally just him getting angry because they stuck ads at the beginning of it. That's all. He wasn't being hurt. Anyone could still watch the thing. No legal actions were being threatened.

Weirdly, I think it would have been less a story if they'd gone nuclear on him and just took the whole thing down.

The world is a strange backwards place these days.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Disney and the rest of their companies are in the legal right, sure. I stand by my previous post

What you're basically saying is that companies aren't allowed to actually protect their intellectual property. Outrage mobs will prevent it. And if they "felt threatened" by this lousy film, then they could have just taken it down. This whole thing is literally just him getting angry because they stuck ads at the beginning of it. That's all. He wasn't being hurt. Anyone could still watch the thing. No legal actions were being threatened.

Weirdly, I think it would have been less a story if they'd gone nuclear on him and just took the whole thing down.

The world is a strange backwards place these days.

Twisting peoples words as usual. Reread my previous post because I refuse to engage with you further on this matter. I said Disney was in the legal right, and they have the right to protect themselves. But just because one has the legal right doesn't always mean it should be done.

But it is all moot as Dark Wader clarified this for me. Warner Chapell is the one at fault I suppose. Confusing how Warner Chapell has (or had) rights to Star Wars music.

In fact, I think I am done with nightly, as well as star wars. Posters like you make it a chore to come here. I have enough stress in life, and this site is supposed to be an escape from that. Farewell nightly, I am done.

Because not all humans think in the same, uniform way and some of us have thicker and thinner skin than others that is always influenced by the real world. Like Chalup said... He comes here for escape from the real world and its supposed to be fun. Argumentative and obstinate people can chip away at said fun.

But it is all moot as Dark Wader clarified this for me. Warner Chapell is the one at fault I suppose. Confusing how Warner Chapell has (or had) rights to Star Wars music.

It confuses me too - I haven't watched the film but is it made up of compositions from the OT & PT? Thought it might be related to how the rights are handled with 20th Century Fox, but then if that's the case I don't understand how Disney can remove their copyright claim.

The short version is that Warner/Chappell owns the rights to (at least) older 20th Century Fox music, which includes Star Wars. They decided to monetize the video through their copyright, saying that the new music violated copyright laws. YouTube agreed, either because they actually agreed or because they cave to all copyright claims immediately to avoid further issues.

After that, everyone got mad at Disney, even though the company that apparently had the issue is completely separate from Disney and Lucasfilm. After the controversy, LFL did something to get things resolved because they were getting bad publicity for something that didn't involve them.

Who is he?

Not a person, a publishing company. There's this really weird thing in the recording industry where there's only a few companies that handle publishing rights. You register songs with one of these companies, they publish it worldwide securing the copyright and setting it up for licensing.

But they get their cut/fee of course off of any licensed use of said song. These companies have bots that crawl youtube to find their music and check to see if the user has licensed the song. So when they get a hit, the publishing company immediately files a claim.

So this was the publishing company that licenses Star Wars movie music, (which was probably set up back in the 80s), not Disney or Lucasfilm.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I know it's resolved now, but it is just a weird world we live in that a company outside Disney or LFL (the current owners of Star Wars) that didn't create a song, and actually doesn't own the song itself but just the distribution rights of it, can monetize a fan film from youtube, and try to take the profits from said film. Good call on Disney. They don't need the PR backlash.

I mean if John Williams filed a plagiarism claim on that theme, it would be one thing. But to be honest, I really didn't think the Shards of the Past theme sounded all that close to John Williams' works. It sounded Star Warsy, and for a fan theme song it sounded great, but much like the themes from say, I don't know, Rogue One or TLJ, they didn't have that emotional spirit or impact like the OT did. The themes from both the movies, as well as this fan film were fine, and I have nothing bad to say about them, but didn't sound like John Williams.

I thought Williams did do a pretty good job of capturing the overall SW spirit in the both the TFA & TLJ scores actually...the music when Kylo ran at Luke to cut him down was one of his best pieces he has done for SW in my opinion. But I also think Williams is the only one involved in the entire SW franchise to maintain consistency...I'd even go as far to say his work on the prequels is the best work his done overall for Star Wars.

But totally agree on your other points. In essence I think lawyers just suck.

Crazy truth- most of the time movie composers don't have the rights to their music. They are considered work-for-hire. Anything John Williams wrote for a Star Wars movie is owned by Lucasfilm/Disney in terms of IP. Again, it's not that Warner/Chapelle "owns" the music, it's that are the music publishers and it must be licensed through them, so any illegal use is likely to be their purview first.

I'm sure somebody with William's weight and reputation is paid very well and likely gets back end points, and credit obviously. But most composers are basically just freelancers and don't own the music they write.

Even most bands don't own their own music, the record companies tend to own the master recordings.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I thought Williams did do a pretty good job of capturing the overall SW spirit in the both the TFA & TLJ scores actually...the music when Kylo ran at Luke to cut him down was one of his best pieces he has done for SW in my opinion. But I also think Williams is the only one involved in the entire SW franchise to maintain consistency...I'd even go as far to say his work on the prequels is the best work his done overall for Star Wars.

But totally agree on your other points. In essence I think lawyers just suck.

Don't get me wrong, I do like the themes from those movies, and you have a good example from TLJ. But, my understanding is that John Williams and William Ross co-wrote TLJ. Is that incorrect?

In any event, you got my main point.

Even most bands don't own their own music, the record companies tend to own the master recordings.

True, I guess the most famous example of that is Michael Jackson buying the rights to The Beatles catalogue and pissing off Paul by letting companies using the music in TV commercials.

Don't get me wrong, I do like the themes from those movies, and you have a good example from TLJ. But, my understanding is that John Williams and William Ross co-wrote TLJ. Is that incorrect?

To be honest I did't know that - might be my own ignorance but I thought Williams did it all himself.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Well, I don't know for sure either, so it may be my ignorance. I know both worked on the themes, but how much each one was involved? I don't know.

But there is an important distinction to make. Bands/musicians hold the intellectual property rights to the "song". Meaning they own the song per se, but because the label pays for the recording process the label owns the specific recordings of those songs, and can liscence the recordings to whomever they please depending obviously on the contract with the artist

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.