Time to remake the OT?

Filthy Jawa

I think you can remake them without remaking given how classic the building blocks are. Get some tantasy adventure eleme ts, cross it with some samurai takes, set it in space, boom. Good to go.

I think this is what the trilogies that the GOT creators and Rian Johnson are developingbasically are.

You can be original, be inherently Star Wars and not have to tie into or rework elements of the OT.

Disney has been slow to realize this.

I think you can remake them without remaking given how classic the building blocks are. Get some tantasy adventure eleme ts, cross it with some samurai takes, set it in space, boom. Good to go.

I think this is what the trilogies that the GOT creators and Rian Johnson are developingbasically are.

You can be original, be inherently Star Wars and not have to tie into or rework elements of the OT.

Disney has been slow to realize this.

They are kinda doing this with the ST I think. I look at the ST almost as it's own thing which falls back and uses the OT when it wants to help it out.

• 4 weeks later...

I was actually interested in that, seeing as how it was simply the original Trilogy retold in animation. But as I've just heard, they reimagined Leia as a stuck-up bitch who is ungrateful to her rescuers, kicks them around, and is basically portrayed as someone who did not need rescuing, all in the name of "empowerment." This grossly alters Leia's character as she was an empowered character to begin with, albeit one that did indeed need rescuing at that moment. For that, I have no interest.

She has to be rescued in every episode of the OT. And she was potrayed as bitchy in ANH and ESB. There was room for improvement.

One of the few things I liked about the Thrawn trilogy was that she was finally given some nuance and agency.

Padme set the bar even lower.

Obi-Wan rescued Luke from the sand people.

The dudes rescued Leia from the Death Star.

R2 and 3PO rescued the big three* from the trash compactor.

Han rescued Luke on Hoth.

Luke goes to rescue Han, Leia and the dudes on Bespin.

Lando provides the escape.

Leia rescued Luke.

Han is rescued by Luke (or the group, or the plan???), technically Leia is rescued as well and I guess Chewie and the droids as well.

*sorry Chewie, I forgot you there, but you didnt get a medal at the end so... ;-)

I was going to mention the animated version. With its changes I wonder if that's how they plan to handle it.

I've started to lose interest after the rebels ending and having maul appear in solo makes it to multimedia for me. I like to imagine the shows are their own thing.

I would love it if they remade the OT using the actors from the PT and Disney prequels. Hayden as Vader and unmasked Anakin. Ewan as Obi Wan. The two actors who played Owen and Beru. The actor who played Tarkin briefly in the scene with Vader and Palpatine at the end of ROTS. The actress who played Mothma in R1. And of course, Alden and Glover reprising their roles as Han and Lando along with the actor who played Chewie in Solo. Heck even the bit parts, like the actor who played Dr Evazan in R1, have him reprise the role for his famous cantina scene in ANH. Bring back Ian McDiarmad as Palpatine.

And then, I would tweak the OT just a little bit to match up with the PT and Rebels. In ANH rather than Obi Wan’s line about “your father wanted you to have this” when giving Luke the lightsaber, change it to Obi Wan not giving it to Luke until after Owen and Beru are killed and Luke decides to go with him to Alderaan. Then he can say something like, “I’ve been holding onto this for you. I wanted to give it to you as soon as you were old enough but your uncle wouldn’t allow it…” In ROTJ, Obi Wan can say, “When I first met him as a child, he already showed tremendous Force abilities. When my master was killed, I took it upon myself to train him as a Jedi.”

In ROTJ when Luke asks Leia about their real mother, instead of Leia saying she remembers her, she can say something like, “I never met her. But I remember having vivid dreams about her, almost like I did once know her.” And then she goes on to describe her to Luke.

Add the Rebels characters to the films, like Rex in the ground battle and Hera and the Ghost crew in the space battle of Endor.

I would love to see all this and then watch fandom explode with the heresy of the PT being used as a guide for a new OT. :D

You know, I was just thinking: I hope they do remake the original Trilogy, therefore rendering the old Trilogy and the prequels non-canon. They could even label them "Legends." That way we old canonists can pride ourselves on having George Lucas' original Star Wars saga as officially part of our universe only, while the new canon disowns it. :D

"The original films will no longer be of any concern to us. I've just received word that Kathleen Kennedy has rebooted the films completely. The last remnants of the old canon have been swept away."

End troll post.

You know, I was just thinking: I hope they do remake the original Trilogy, therefore rendering the old Trilogy and the prequels non-canon. They could even label them "Legends." That way we old canonists can pride ourselves on having George Lucas' original Star Wars saga as officially part of our universe only, while the new canon disowns it. :D

"The original films will no longer be of any concern to us. I've just received word that Kathleen Kennedy has rebooted the films completely. The last remnants of the old canon have been swept away."

End troll post.

Honestly woth the direction they are taking the story, part of me would be ok with that.

This begs the question...if Disney remade the OT, would you want it to be a straight shot-for-shot, line-for-line remake similar to how Van Sant remade Psycho back in the 90's? He went to great lengths to make it exactly as the original, even going so far as timing how long it took the actors to say their lines to make sure it matched the original's. Or would you be ok with changes to the trilogy similarly to how so many other remakes go nowadays with updates or tweaks?

I agree with you 100%. But it's ironic isn't it? With many remakes, people complain about the changes that are made. They changed this scene or they changed what the character did here...this or that. So then we got a remake that was exactly like the original, people got upset over that too! Why did he remake it the same? Why not change stuff around if you are going to bother remaking the movie?

Remakes are tricky. You end up with either the same film done with worse actors, or you end up with something so different that it doesn’t reflect the original. There are remakes that work, but typically they can’t manage. That’s why the reboot has become more common than the remake.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.