Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Democratic Presidential Campaigns for 2020

288 replies to this topic

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

Monster of Mass Destruction

• Supporters
  • 8,709 posts

How come all the accusations against Trump havent worked, then? I mean I know the man is bulletproof, but if anything was gonna work itd be that, right?

It's not for a lack of trying (remember the accusations of infidelity and watching women pee on each other?), but the #Metoo movement didn't hit its stride until after he was president, and when we get closer to the 2020 election, we may yet see additional accusations.  Whether they work or not is anyone's guess.  But here are a few possible reasons why I think #Me too hasn't worked on Trump, yet:

1. Trump's base is loyal, and will vote for him no matter what.  Also, they do not trust the press.  To them, everything they say are lies anyway
  2. The vagina hat protesters back in 2016 shot themselves in the foot, and damaged the argument they were trying to advance that Trump was a woman abuser by looking and acting like childish idiots.
  3. Trump is a billionaire.  Why force a woman to do something when he can pay her to do it?  
  4. Stormy Daniels looking for a payday (or at least the perception of it) tainted any valid accusations from other women that may be out there against Trump.
  5. For the last couple years, people have been more focused on the Russia collusion investigation.

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

• Supporters
  • 8,709 posts

The funny thing is that he's being accurately accused. He did these things and there are hundreds of pictures to show he routinely does it. The thing is how much do you care. I don't think a lot of people do. Some do because a lot of people don't like being touched like that if at all. A lot I think do wonder why come out now about it. That she's a Beto supporter looks suspicious. The Dems that are further to the left are going after this. The ones that are more moderate aren't.

That hits the nail on the head, doesn't it? Maybe Biden is touchy feely, and maybe it was awkward but there is no proof he sexually abused anyone, and I question why it has taken years to come forward, on the eve of Biden jumping into the 2020 race. All the pictures you speak of may be awkward, but don't indicate anything illegal. If Biden has been touchy feely since he entered politics, why is it a big deal, now?   The answer is that #MeToo has transitioned from being about helping actual victims find justice, to becoming a political weapon to assassinate the character of political or business rivals, or even just people that aren't likable. Or, in Biden's case, either being in the way of Trump's re-election or other democratic rivals to run against Trump.  If Biden did something that was so terrible, there are literally hundreds of times, including his 8 years as VP, and the 2 other attempts to run for president that could have been made public, if he really did do something wrong. 

Metropolis

Metropolis

• 14,465 posts
Conservative media made fun of it almost all throughout his vice presidency. Which is part of why I don't see the GOP even caring about this. 1) it's not a serious enough offense to use with Trump as your candidate. Maybe it's he was caught slamming an ass or cupping a boob maybe. 2) the Dems are already doing it to him. Why waste the energy?

I don't want to be contrarian, but I don't think #meToo was ever about standing up for women. I think it was always a tool to beat down whoever they movement felt needed to be beat down. They've been awfully selective about who they go after.
  • Justus +1 this

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

• Supporters
  • 8,709 posts

Conservative media made fun of it almost all throughout his vice presidency. Which is part of why I don't see the GOP even caring about this. 1) it's not a serious enough offense to use with Trump as your candidate. Maybe it's he was caught slamming an ass or cupping a boob maybe. 2) the Dems are already doing it to him. Why waste the energy?

Well political enemies can just as easily be part of your own party, but I think it is not beyond the GOP to slam Biden. 

I don't want to be contrarian, but I don't think #meToo was ever about standing up for women. I think it was always a tool to beat down whoever they movement felt needed to be beat down. They've been awfully selective about who they go after.

In recent years, it certainly seems like EVERY movement, both on the left and the right, is a tool to beat someone down.  I think it is up for debate when exactly #MeToo became a political weapon, but I think it did start off with good intentions, and when it was seen to be an effective movement, it was then coopted.   What I have the problem the most with #MeToo, or any other political or social movement used to accuse people of wrong doing is the lack of due process, lack of proof, and the fact that simply making an accusation is taken as truth where the accused has to prove their innocence, rather than the accuser proving the guilt.  

Metropolis

Metropolis

• 14,465 posts
Apparently one of the accusers framed a photograph of the incident in question. And now you're complaining? Gotta love it. I always wonder if there is some sort of monetary gain for those that come forward with these accusations.

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

• Supporters
  • 8,709 posts

Apparently one of the accusers framed a photograph of the incident in question. And now your complaining? Gotta love it. I always wonder if there is some sort of monetary gain for those that come forward with these accusations.

Sort of like auctioning off a DNA-stained blue dress.  Then complaining you became a big nothing in life 20 years after your 15 minutes of fame.

• Ms. Spam +1 this

Ms. Spam

Ms. Spam

MS.

• 17,439 posts

After what the DNC pulled on Bernie back in the 2016 elections, I wouldn't be surprised if this was some kind of social shaming designed to get a certain candidate that would lead people to change their minds about voting for a particular person. While no collusion with Russia was proved besides what people were busted for we still had Russians working to undermine Hillary to the point even rational people voted for Trump over Hillary in social media. A lot of people have come out in papers writing editorials warning about fan-ism of a particular campaign. Like MAGA lovers and Bernie-bots. 

• El Chalupacabra +1 this

Metropolis

Metropolis

• 14,465 posts

Apparently one of the accusers framed a photograph of the incident in question. And now your complaining? Gotta love it. I always wonder if there is some sort of monetary gain for those that come forward with these accusations.

Sort of like auctioning off a DNA-stained blue dress.  Then complaining you became a big nothing in life 20 years after your 15 minutes of fame.
To be fair it was Linda Tripp that outed Monica Lewinsky.

Justus

Justus

• 13,061 posts

Exactly. The very reason they did not come a-runnin' with torches and pitchforks against Virginia's Lt. Governor Justin Fairfax (D), saying you "must believe" Vanessa Tyson and Meredith Watson's accusations--the argument used to support Kavanaugh's accusers. 

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

• Supporters
  • 8,709 posts

To be fair it was Linda Tripp that outed Monica Lewinsky.

Maybe, but once the cat was out of the bag, it didn't stop Lewinsky from trying to cash in on her infamy.  She can't claim to be a victim.  She was just a political groupie.  

Brando

Brando

83% Muppet

• Admin
  • 18,924 posts
Girl in her early twenties used and then discarded and vilified by the most powerful man in the world? A man who is potentially a serial rapist who loved using his power to conquer women? Out of the whole thing, society made HER the villain, and especially Democrats.

Sounds like she was a victim to me.

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

• Supporters
  • 8,709 posts

Girl in her early twenties used and then discarded and vilified by the most powerful man in the world? A man who is potentially a serial rapist who loved using his power to conquer women? Out of the whole thing, society made HER the villain, and especially Democrats.

Sounds like she was a victim to me.

She was a consenting adult. Where is the proof Clinton raped her? Or anyone for that matter.  Are we going to say now that women can't consent to sex, no matter who it is, until their 40? Some women are just attracted to powerful guys.  Some women become groupies because of that.  I think that is what Lewinsky was and pretty much all the other women who slept with him.  

It may be promiscuous or vulgar to some, depending on their world view on sex, but if we start chastising every man in power, or with money, or with fame for sleeping with women who throw themselves at them, and then call it rape, where does it stop?  What's next, a woman having a one night stand, then getting butt hurt because the dude doesn't call the next day?  Is that rape?  Clearly not.  More like making poor choices.  And you know what?  Adults need to own their poor choices.

A few years ago, I remember a huge debate about slut shaming.  How women who are promiscuous are empowered, and shouldn't be called out for sleeping with as many guys as they want.  Well, fine.  It's empowering. It's their own business, and people shouldn't call them out.  But  one can't have it both ways, and claim some adult, college age woman doesn't know what she is doing, when she has consensual sex.  And you can't slut shame guys who have sex with said woman, either.  What's good for one, is good for the other.

Brando

Brando

83% Muppet

• Admin
  • 18,924 posts
Nobody said it was rape. Go ahead and make up my response here so you can respond to it.

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

• Supporters
  • 8,709 posts

I didn't make anything up.  You said it, not me: 

A man who is potentially a serial rapist who loved using his power to conquer women?

Marc DuQuesne

Marc DuQuesne

• Members
  • 592 posts
He might not have raped Lewinsky, but there were multiple allegations of it besides that episode. Lewinsky was bad enough, no clearer case of taking advantage of a subordinate that I can think of. Most powerful "man" in the "free world" and his 22 year old intern.

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

• Supporters
  • 8,709 posts

He might not have raped Lewinsky, but there were multiple allegations of it besides that episode. Lewinsky was bad enough, no clearer case of taking advantage of a subordinate that I can think of. Most powerful "man" in the "free world" and his 22 year old intern.

BS. 

She knew exactly what she was doing.  His reputation was around since before he was president.  By 95 we heard all about Jennifer Flowers, and Paula jones.  Why save the dress?  At best, it was for 15 minutes of fame an a tell all book tour.  At worst, you can leave it to your imagination. At 22, she is a college-educated adult, and it is a stretch to believe she had no clue what could happen, other than she wanted it to happen. 

Marc DuQuesne

Marc DuQuesne

• Members
  • 592 posts
The P*ssy Hat Posse posse would be all over Trump if he started dipping his pen in the country ink. So would I.

Brando

Brando

83% Muppet

• Admin
  • 18,924 posts
The media turned on Beto in favor of Buttigeig. We'll see who ends up being their darling.

I just hope Bernoe doesn't win, because his supporters are the worst.

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

• Supporters
  • 8,709 posts

How exactly is that name pronounced? It reads like booty-gig.

Darth Krawlie

Darth Krawlie

privileged ****lord

• Moderators
  • 34,463 posts
Boot edge edge.
  • monkeygirl and El Chalupacabra +1 this

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

• Supporters
  • 8,709 posts

Jiggity. 

Tank

Tank

Driver

• 34,485 posts
Butt glug.

Ms. Spam

Ms. Spam

MS.

• 17,439 posts

I have never seen so many MAGA signs in one place when I was in Arizona. I had to keep from saying things that made sense out loud because of the ridiculousness of the argument that would ensue. Obama jailed babies crossing illegally FIRST. And Climate Change is a hoax. And that was just at my uncle's house in Scottsdale. I guess when you're rich you can afford stupidity.

I just know whomever ends up being the DNC's candidate he's gotta be enough to get all the people that make sense to vote against the GOP. I don't wanna see smart people throw away a vote because the DNC couldn't find someone in all this to run that was WORSE than Trump. Poor Hillary. 

Brando

Brando

83% Muppet

• Admin
  • 18,924 posts
Poor Hillary, the worst candidate and campaign in modern history. Although I will say, Obama gutting the DNC in honor of his hubris didn't help.

Metropolis

Metropolis

• 14,465 posts
So Bernie believes the Boston Marathon bomber should be able to vote in prison. He actually said that. No spin. Gotta love what politics has become.

Reply to this topic