Democratic Presidential Campaigns for 2020

Ms. Spam

And I think it is ridiculous that Kamala Harris can claim to be for equal rights and present herself as a feminist, yet also presents herself as a Snoop Dogg or 2pac fan. The two are mutually exclusive.

No, they're not.

First of all, equal/feminist rights includes embracing your sexual proclivities. If being a submissive sexual partner is a woman's thing, and hip-hop lyrics are a turn on for her, that's valid and feminist. Feminists do not have to be asexual, nor do they have to be dominatrices.

Second of all, she only named two of the biggest names in hip-hop ever. There are cultural connotations there that I can sense but can't unpack because White Girl.

The cultural connotations I can unpack are pretty glaringly obvious. Snoop and Pac are two of the biggest rappers that have come out of California - Harris's home state and the state she represents - but that aren't the artists who did **** Tha Police (she was California's AG, after all). Nowadays, Snoop is every stoner's cool baked uncle, and Harris is pro-legalization, which was what the interview was all about. And Pac is pretty much a martyred saint.

Third, problematic faves are definitely a thing. I do worry about what young kids and particularly impressionable adults think when all they hear on the radio is songs about sex and being sexy and always being sexually available and nothing else (and that goes for top 40 pop and top 40 country, too, the entire Holy Trinity of radio is highly problematic at this point in time), and I also worry about what this is doing to the historically over-sexualized perception of black girls in our culture, but that doesn't mean that I don't put on a full, overblown, both parts lip-sync performance whenever Yo Gotti's Rake It Up comes on.

The way the majority of feminists seem to be dealing with living in a misogynistic music culture, myself included, is by supporting artists, usually underground artists, who make music in the genre you like with lyrics you can actually get behind, and enjoying the problematic stuff sporadically. Thankfully, that's actually possible these days with how equalizing internet streaming has made music consumption. Hopefully, the more we support it, the more the non-problematic stuff becomes more mainstream. This is why I cheered when Kacey Musgraves swept the Grammys, and Janelle Monae finally blew the fuck up after being slept on for years. The shift is happening, it's just happening slowly.

I am going to drop the subject, but I don't concede it, either. I am just going to have to agree to disagree, because I disagree with you on most of what you state in that post. But I don't think I can refute what you're saying without going full on Poe-mode*, and probably spending some time researching that I really don't have right now. Clearly you put some thought into your response though, so I acknowledge that. Case closed as far as I am concerned.

I'm going to say one thing before dropping the subject myself, which I even said previously that I didn't want to get into.

You're more than welcome to have philosophical opinions about feminism, but do keep in mind that it's something that affects my life and Kamala Harris' life FAR more than it does yours, and I am drawing lived experience into my debate points, which you cannot do.

Kamala Harris is far from a feminist. She dated a married man(30 years older than her) to advance her career. Isn't that disqualifying?

If you're referring to Willie Brown, someone needs to ask her about that man's well-known relationship with Jim Jones, and his saying he had "no regrets" about that deep association. The point being if she's A-Okay with having an involved relationship with a man who was a beneficiary and enabler of Jim Jones and his fake church, then that says much about her character.

Kamala Harris is far from a feminist. She dated a married man(30 years older than her) to advance her career. Isn't that disqualifying?

How do you define feminism?
I don't define it. Though I wouldn't think that a feminist would use a successful man to get her foot in the door and then better and better jobs.

The traits of what constitutes feminism are pretty amorphous and differ from person to person, no? 3rd wave, raunch feminism etc.. They're going to have significantly different ideas of feminism than someone like Germaine Greer who still thinks trans women are mentally ill men who self mutilate (their genitals). So you know...

The traits of what constitutes feminism are pretty amorphous and differ from person to person, no? 3rd wave, raunch feminism etc...

Exactly, but the post-New Left of today will have you think their definition is the hardline cover-all for all feminists, when that's far from the truth. For example, there are pro-life feminists, but the post-New Left yells "impossible", even when they meet people who describe themselves as that.

Or rather refuse to define it, but say what it isn't.

When I was growing up feminism was basically a woman can do anything a man can do. There is still that faction, but now is goes as far as the she woman male haters club. The women that don't need a man. In any form, it would seem like sleeping your way to the top would be frowned upon. The more I think about it though, if John Kerry can do why not a woman?

I mean.. everyone is prejudiced. Even (especially in some cases?) lefty "progressive" (whatever that means) liberal types. Conservatives absolutely too.

My wife used to house-share with a lesbian, who at one point was questioning her sexuality because she was developing romantic and sexual feelings for a male coworker. She told my wife (not my wife at the time, obvs) and was asking for advice, and said that she couldn't tell or confide in her circle of lesbian friends because they would ostrocize her. Bizzare.

Anyway... Bernie for president? Sure if you want to have a defibulator on standby at all times for your president. That said, Trumpy Trumps probably has one of those on the go at all times too.

Even Kamala Harris' own father has issues with her recent, proud trip down pot-smoking lane and her implications:

Kamala Harris’s dad on her pot-smoking comment: Our family wants to ‘dissociate ourselves from this travesty

I will not be surprised if her campaign (i.e. various ends of the news media) will work overtime attempting to silence or dig up dirt on dear 'ol dad. After all, how dare he criticize The One--and her linking pot smoking to being part Jamaican with her idiotic "Half my family’s from Jamaica. / Are you kidding me?”" slur? Who needs Limbaugh and Company when you have all-over-the-place Harris doing the job of racial/ethnic stereotypes for them?

Or rather refuse to define it, but say what it isn't.

When I was growing up feminism was basically a woman can do anything a man can do. There is still that faction, but now is goes as far as the she woman male haters club. The women that don't need a man. In any form, it would seem like sleeping your way to the top would be frowned upon. The more I think about it though, if John Kerry can do why not a woman?

Right, people with different views can use the sane kabel for themselves, but you're picking the type you dislike most and use that to define them all.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.