Cool stuff that happened to you in 2018

Guest El Chalupacabra

My kid turned into a teenager and isn't a dick.

My second movie, first theatrical release came out, as did the first TV show I worked on.

I paid off almost all my debt.

I secured two big deals that have booked me work through 2019.

And I asked my gf of 8 years to marry me. (But I havent told my family so if we're friends on FB don't say anything).

My cat Pootapotamus came into my life. She just wandered right in the door. Turns out she was a he and I love the furry fourth cat more than life. He loves belly rubs and is PORKAY.

My Grandmother made it to 100 years old.

Otherwise. I still want to murder every human being ever.

Congrats on everything, Seth!

I got engaged at the end of May. My fiancee then moved in with me in the summer when her lease expired. We got to go to Italy and Brazil for conferences in the summer and came to China a little over a week ago for me to meet my future in-laws.

It has been a great year, mainly just hampered by me seemingly coming down with illnesses more frequently. We have been very fortunate. Hopefully, that fortune will continue into 2019.

Cool shit that happened to moi...

Got married in a field under some trees in the country. Best day of my life.

Moved house to a town in Somerset, Wessex. No longer trapped in the hustle, bustle and pollution of London. Best move ever.

Sold more paintings this year than any other year as an artist.

So 2018 has easily been the best year of my life.

It sounds like some great stuff has happened. Special congrats to Tank, Jacen, and Odine. Having been there through the not-so-great times, it's good to see things going well. Thanks for posting this thread Chalup.

I got a promotion at work to another job that I can give about 60% effort and still outperform my peers and all expectations.

We had baby number 3, getting her baptized tomorrow.

My son started kindergarten. My three year old is an adorable princess, and I don't have to worry about boys yet. Except her beating them up and taking their toys.

My wife is still super hot and out my league, so her sticking around is always cool.

Sounds like lots of great life events took place in 2018! Congrats to all!

My favorite parts of the year were seeing my sister-in-law 3 times this year after over 3 years of not seeing her at all. The best was when we got to go to LA for 10 days and stay at her place.

Also, super excited that my brother got engaged this year. I went from 0 sisters growing up to 3 when I got married and now that two of my brothers will be married, I'll have 5!

Guest El Chalupacabra

Congratulations to all you guys! Great to hear!

I had a few cool things happen this year, and even if they are modest, still glad for it all.

Over the past year, I've lost over 90 LBs. My motivation wasn't a vanity thing, it was a health thing, because I was starting to come down with some health issues. While I would like to loose more, I am now at a point where most of those health issues are non factors. As I am typing this now, my dad is in the hospital, and many of his health issues stemmed from not taking care of himself and I am trying not to go down that path, too.

In Feb, I moved back into a (brand new) house, from an apartment. So glad because apartment living sucks!

I've had a lot of changes at work, some good, some not, but I have received a promotion and raise. Modest and still do the same job, but nice for the recognition and acknowledgement.

Also, I have started electing to take small, local staycations, or vacations within other areas of the state, or nearby over the last couple years. Much more cost effective and can do it more frequently. Nothing too elaborate or anything really to speak about here, but I had fun in Vegas, Sedona, Jerome, Cottonwood, Sonoita/Elgin, and Flasgstaff especially.

We got approved to be Supported Lodgings foster carers for West Sussex

I saw Hamilton at the West End

I painted my first miniatures and started my first D&D campaign (after doing a very successful Star Wars D6 RP campaign)

Spent a week of the summer with a friend from the US who flew over on her way home (we've known each other for over a decade and only met once briefly)

My downstairs just got refurbished too, so we have a nice spanking new kitchen, and an extension that actually has enough insulation to retain warmth during the winter

Also did my first road trip (Crawley to Chester, around 4 odd hours, the longest I've driven since I started two years ago) with no real problem other than a sore leg - it really makes me appreciate why people get cruise control on their cars

That's about all I can think of.

That's a lot of neat stuff! Congrats on your DnD campaign. I have been really enjoying DnD with a group of high school friends for the last ten years or so. Our best friends were a chance meetup from an online group finder. I never thought it would be my "thing" but I do have lots of fun with it.

We got approved to be Supported Lodgings foster carers for West Sussex

I saw Hamilton at the West End

I painted my first miniatures and started my first D&D campaign (after doing a very successful Star Wars D6 RP campaign)

Spent a week of the summer with a friend from the US who flew over on her way home (we've known each other for over a decade and only met once briefly)

My downstairs just got refurbished too, so we have a nice spanking new kitchen, and an extension that actually has enough insulation to retain warmth during the winter

Also did my first road trip (Crawley to Chester, around 4 odd hours, the longest I've driven since I started two years ago) with no real problem other than a sore leg - it really makes me appreciate why people get cruise control on their cars

That's about all I can think of.

My first DnD campaign was in a church near the altar with my best friends when I was 11! Welcome to the club. Painting miniatures is fun. Yeah, I can't drive long distances anymore. Part of it is I have expanded so sitting for long periods kills my lower back. I prefer no cruise control but have driven straight through from San Diego to San Antonio, Tucson to Atlanta, Lubbock to Atlanta and many times to Dallas from San Antonio. Not to mention the four times a year I drive from San Antonio to Tucson. Now I fly and rent a car. It's so weird to think of distances compared to the UK and here in the US.

I became a godfather to an amazing child, the son of a lifelong friend.

I became co-director of Sunday school at my church, and have recently been elected to parish council, an office I will take in January.

I got hired by a life insurance company as a salesman. I will start once I'm done with my testing and have obtained my license. If I bust my hump, this could be an extremely lucrative and fulfilling career move. Plus, I'll get to wear suits all day, every day!

I briefly dated two amazing women who became friends.

One of my favorite game franchises whom I was worried was becoming stale--God of War--blew everyone away with their latest soft reboot, to the point where many people commented that this is how the gaming industry should be making games. This didn't really happen to me personally, but it made me proud.

Are you doing direct sales for one company or are you joining a brokerage? If you're going to sell universal life policies, make sure to over explain how the cost of insurance increases but the company won't raise the premium.

That's a lot of neat stuff! Congrats on your DnD campaign. I have been really enjoying DnD with a group of high school friends for the last ten years or so. Our best friends were a chance meetup from an online group finder. I never thought it would be my "thing" but I do have lots of fun with it.

Aye, I initially turned down two different invitations to D&D games because they didn't interest me at all. Then a friend from my wargaming group GM'd a D6 Star Wars RP which I really enjoyed (part 3 was this year, my Wookiee mercenary died and became a Wookiee zombie, I had great fun eating the others with 8D6 attacks :devil: ) and I decided to give the D&D a go, and i've been enjoying it so far.

My first DnD campaign was in a church near the altar with my best friends when I was 11! Welcome to the club. Painting miniatures is fun. Yeah, I can't drive long distances anymore. Part of it is I have expanded so sitting for long periods kills my lower back. I prefer no cruise control but have driven straight through from San Diego to San Antonio, Tucson to Atlanta, Lubbock to Atlanta and many times to Dallas from San Antonio. Not to mention the four times a year I drive from San Antonio to Tucson. Now I fly and rent a car. It's so weird to think of distances compared to the UK and here in the US.

I've only done Legion and my D&D character so far, but I'm thinking of doing a 40K Kill Team at some point and maybe some other stuff.

Yeah, comparable distances are weird. Anything over an hour away by car is quite far by UK standards, but I'm guessing that's nothing by US standards.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.