Star Wars Celebration Chicago 2019

LaceMindu

Guys! Star Wars Celebration is coming to Chicago (my 'hood!) April 11-15, 2019. I actually just applied to be an employee, lol. Probably hopeless but it was free to apply so why not, right?

Anyone thinking of going?

If I need references to prove my star wars geekdom, you'll all vouch for me, right?

Right?

You'll have to post more to get any references! You may have given up your geekdom in the past decade or however long since you left!

I mean - welcome back!

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Man, that was fun.

I worked 4 days of Star Wars Celebration Chicago as "Crew" and while semi-grueling (on your feet 8 hours a day and then walking the show floor before and after), it was a BLAST.

Free pass to the con? Check. Use the VIP entrance and get in early? Check. Back-door, pre-opening access to the store (when staff were being nice) Check. Money spent? oh yeah. Costumes drooled over, content devoured, people oogled, and legs walked off.

But the real fun was getting to know more geeks like you guys. Srsly, I thought of this place a lot and especially the fun we had at Celebration II in Indy. Every person on my work team at "First floor stages and rooms" was a Star Wars fanboy/girl, there to soak it all up and enjoy reveling in the experience. All ages (21+ -- and the 21yo newbie was hilarious!) and walks of life, but between rushes (we'd load up people, let them into the theater, then get some down time before the next group started arriving) we'd be talking SW, streaming what we were missing, discussing sessions or purchases, trading pins, or just hanging out. No, I didn't see as much of the con as I would have if I wasn't working, but I think the overall experience of being "crew" made up for that. You might need to be an extrovert to call that "fun" but as someone who doesn't get to show my geek side much IRL (which is how/why I found nightly in the first place), just being with "my people" was a great part of it. And oh, the costumes! the creativity! the stars (cough*BillyDeeWilliams*cough) the sneak peeks! the cool STUFF. But mostly, the people. I wish you all had been there. After all, I still remember 20 years ago discovering this place, and realizing I was NOT the only female fangirl on the planet. (And probably didn't rank in the top percent, either). It was :heart: at first sight.

Now that my feet have finally recovered, of course I'm now wondering if I want to be crew again in Anaheim next year. Decisions, decisions.

JC and Six, it was so good to see you guys. Glad I could help with the store stuff, that was fun passing on my super secret access. But I had to get myself a Lando Hawaiian shirt, too -- and we are now in danger of dressing identically. Because good taste, duh. :thumbsup:

Best take-away from the con? Other than star wars people are overall a pretty awesome group -- my fave is that The Mandalorian series on Disney looks OMG Awesome. Clint Eastwood style Bounty Hunter Gulid problems in far-away outer space, it doesn't get better. Unscrupulous characters. IG-88 in action! Fried Salicious Crumb onna stick!! Mandalorians! (or as Con signage said: "Mandorians") What's not to like? Not that Ep. IX doesn't look good...but I'm trying to manage my expectations there whereas I'm in a fullout geekgasm over The Mandalorian.

Hey, remember when we all met her 20 some years ago? Who knew we'd still have something Star Wars to look forward to. You know, post-JarJar. *cringe*

And taking it all the way back, I'm still thinking of the lunch box I didn't buy that was covered in Star Wars Holiday Special animation art. Old school, baby. Just like these boards. Hope to see some of you in Anaheim one way or another, so start planning now. :yes::)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

JC and Six, it was so good to see you guys. Glad I could help with the store stuff, that was fun passing on my super secret access. But I had to get myself a Lando Hawaiian shirt, too -- and we are now in danger of dressing identically. Because good taste, duh. :thumbsup:

We still owe you BIG for that favor. Our Celebration Store experience wasn't the 8-hour nightmare that hundreds of other fans endured on Thursday, but that was still frustrating till you came to the rescue. :thumbsup:

I posted a couple hundred photos across a bunch of blog entries and wrote at length about the experience. (The grand finale is linked below, but it contains links to all the other chapters.) The TL;DR version: though Anne and I aren't doing well at keeping up with the New Canon and missed out on the SW zeitgeist to an extent from that perspective, we had a blast anyway and found it vastly better run than CII and CIII.

https://midlifecrisiscrossover.com/2019/05/03/star-wars-celebration-chicago-2019-photos-12-of-12-what-we-did-in-the-star-wars/

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.