Aquaman

Guest El Chalupacabra

Guest El Chalupacabra

I'm late to the party, and skipped Justice League, except for bits here and there when I was shopping for a bigger TV around Black Friday. I caught the preview of Aquaman when it came out and forgot about it because I've been busy. Then saw it again. It actually looks pretty good.

Appears to me this could one of the best treatments balancing keeping the classic elements along with updating a superhero who's been around forever, in the same way Batman 1989 (I know Batman Begins/Dark Knight are popular, but not a reinvention to the degree Batman 1989 was for Batman 1966), Captain America, and Wonder Woman have been.

I feel like the fact there is an Aquaman movie at all is further proof that this is a whack timeline.

And it looks better than the recent Superman and Batman.

I feel like the fact there is an Aquaman movie at all is further proof that this is a whack timeline.

The fact that Jason Momoa is playing Aquaman within a year of The Shape of Water winning the Best Picture Oscar and The Pisces being the most buzzed-about book of the summer, this is just a really great timeline for fish ****ing.

You'd think Kanye would be having a better year.

hqdefault.jpg

And it looks better than the recent Superman and Batman.

It very much is. It's basically Fast and the Furious Goes to Sea World, which actually turns out a super fun approach to a comic-book movie. There's nothing cerebral about it, just well-choreographed melee, underwater spaceship wars, creepy monsters, tracking shots, Super-Friends homages, and beefcake. It's not the best super-hero movie of the year, but it's among DC's better efforts from the last ten years (still edged out a hair by Wonder Woman).

With the MCU turning increasingly toward Super Serious Super-Heroics, serving up Aquaman as big dumb fun was a bold counterprogramming move.

• 4 weeks later...

Paraphrased:

Embrace all aspects of Aquaman, the edgy to the ridiculous. He is a Thor, a Klingon, a Big Fish Storyteller... Ash from Evil Dead.

Now DC needs to make an Ambush Bug film to answer Marvels Deadpool.

Its unfortunate that I was never Barbra Streisands hairdresser, I could be rich and entrenched.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.