Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Aquaman

12 replies to this topic

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

• Validating
  • 8,857 posts

I'm late to the party, and skipped Justice League, except for bits here and there when I was shopping for a bigger TV around Black Friday. I caught the preview of Aquaman when it came out and forgot about it because I've been busy.  Then saw it again.  It actually looks pretty good.   

Appears to me this could one of the best treatments balancing keeping the classic elements along with updating a superhero who's been around forever, in the same way Batman 1989 (I know Batman Begins/Dark Knight are popular, but not a reinvention to the degree Batman 1989 was for Batman 1966), Captain America, and Wonder Woman have been. 

Tank

Tank

Driver

• 34,794 posts
I feel like the fact there is an Aquaman movie at all is further proof that this is a whack timeline.

Metropolis

Metropolis

• 14,727 posts
If Aquaman is a success, and Shazam is a success, I get the Green Lantern I've always wanted. Probably going to see it tonight.

Brando

Brando

83% Muppet

• Admin
  • 19,265 posts

I feel like the fact there is an Aquaman movie at all is further proof that this is a whack timeline.

And it looks better than the recent Superman and Batman.
  • Tank +1 this

Iceheart

Iceheart

No.

• Moderators
  • 20,562 posts

The fact that Jason Momoa is playing Aquaman within a year of The Shape of Water winning the Best Picture Oscar and The Pisces being the most buzzed-about book of the summer, this is just a really great timeline for fish ****ing.

You'd think Kanye would be having a better year.

hqdefault.jpg

NumberSix

NumberSix

Content Provider Emeritus

• 29,758 posts

And it looks better than the recent Superman and Batman.

It very much is.  It's basically Fast and the Furious Goes to Sea World, which actually turns out a super fun approach to a comic-book movie. There's nothing cerebral about it, just well-choreographed melee, underwater spaceship wars, creepy monsters, tracking shots, Super-Friends homages, and beefcake.  It's not the best super-hero movie of the year, but it's among DC's better efforts from the last ten years (still edged out a hair by Wonder Woman).

With the MCU turning increasingly toward Super Serious Super-Heroics, serving up Aquaman as big dumb fun was a bold counterprogramming move.

Metropolis

Metropolis

• 14,727 posts
Finally saw it last night. The ending might be a little anticlimactic, but man it was fun. Of course it's the freshest in my mind, but you can say the the hero was taylored around the actor.

Tank

Tank

Driver

• 34,794 posts
Translation:

"We need a water-Thor!" --some WB exec.
  • NumberSix +1 this

Metropolis

Metropolis

• 14,727 posts
They didn't tailor Thor to fit Chris Hemsworth. Hell Thor today is vastly different from the original Thor movie. There is a lot of Jason Mamoa in Aquaman. I'm watching and thinking yep that Navarro from "Johnson Family Vacation".

Tank

Tank

Driver

• 34,794 posts
No, I mean they looked at Jason Mamoa and Thor and applied it to the Aquaman concept.

Metropolis

Metropolis

• 14,727 posts
You mean current Thor's sense of humor?

Tank

Tank

Driver

• 34,794 posts
I mean an over the top superpowered bro that lives in a futuristic but arachiac world, is royalty, and punches

zambingo

zambingo

The Human Torch

• 3,235 posts

Paraphrased:

Embrace all aspects of Aquaman, the edgy to the ridiculous. He is a Thor, a Klingon, a Big Fish Storyteller... Ash from Evil Dead.

Now DC needs to make an Ambush Bug film to answer Marvels Deadpool.

Its unfortunate that I was never Barbra Streisands hairdresser, I could be rich and entrenched.

Reply to this topic