THE Question of the Season

Iceheart

A Seasonal Question 4U  

18 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about Love, Actually?

• It is an Absolute Classic that I make a point to watch at least once every Christmas, but usually more like three or four times, let's be real.
    • It is the worst movie ever made. See below for my detailed analysis of why that is.
    • It was cute.
    • RomComs aren't my thing.
    • I saw it once, and honestly forgot about its existence until you brought it up just now.
    • I have never understood why this movie is so polarizing.
    • I have no idea what this thread is about.

If you want, we can still tell her why she's wrong.

I don't understand people who hate it. At worst, it's a generic rom-com, and better than a lot of them. But it's certainty no Casablanca.

My experience with it is all tied up in memories of an ex-girlfriend who dumped me for another guy right after Christmas, and her trying to get back with me the next Christmas when we saw it together. I thought it was really good, and I've watched it with my wife, but that memory still is intertwined with it.

The movie wasn't good enough to make me fall in love with her again.

Is there any movie that's good enough to make you fall in love with your ex again if you have no other real inclination to do so?

I can't even remember why I first saw it, since RomComs usually aren't my thing, especially the really formulaic 90's RomComs. But it was and is cute and charming and watching it with my mom and grandma at Christmas is an enjoyable tradition... albeit one that we don't cry about if we forget to watch it one year.

I can understand why it appeals strongly to some people. I can understand why some people might never have an interest in watching it, or might give it a shot and dislike it. I just don't understand why people trot out emotional opinion pieces about it every Black Friday FIFTEEN YEARS after the movie came out.

Is there any movie that's good enough to make you fall in love with your ex again if you have no other real inclination to do so?

Obviously anything Seth has written.

I do hope the professional statement on Seth's resume is "I write movies that are so good, they'll make you fall in love with your ex again."

Although, depending on the level of crazy that caused the breakup in the first place, that might not be the best selling point.

Also, Fozzie, I just realized that your story about your ex is basically the entire plot of Wham's Last Christmas.

'I've never gotten the Christmas Vacation love. Though I'll admit I've only watched it all the way through once. I like European Vacation more."

Are you KIDDING ME?? Let's review:

European Vacation

Highlights: Audrey missing Jack

The German 'relatives'

downsides: How many people have been to Europe vs. celebrated Christmas with the family?

Christmas Vacation:

Highlights:

Juliette Lewis and Johnny Galecki> Dana hill and Jason Lively

Aunt Bethany's cat-the box AND electrocution

Cousin Eddie's dickie

I'll take your concession speech any time.

but to the point:

I still get the feels from this movie. I love Sam's romance. I like the song. I like Sam's dad :)

I am a sucker for a Cinderella story line and I like Hugh Grant. I also like how all the characters end up intersecting in this film.

I loved Alan Rickman but didn't like him in this-or maybe it was just his character

But I can see being over this in a few more holiday viewings

I liked it when I first saw it and generally sit through it if it's on, not sure what it says about me.

That you're a pretty normal person who will re-visit a movie that based on this poll seems to be held in the general opinion that it's perfectly fine and enjoyable if formulaic?

There's no option for I've never seen it

There's two - "RomComs aren't my thing" and "I have no idea what this thread is about."

I wouldn't say either of those two options fit me, and I still haven't seen the movie. It's one of those movies I suspect I'd enjoy, but never got around to watching.

:shrug:

I saw it once ages ago. I remember it was cute, and the scarring sight of Bill Nighy's butt, which I'm pretty sure wiped the rest of the movie out of my mind.

I... think Love, Actually is the only Hugh Grant movie I've ever seen.

But I could see why British guys in general would have a vendetta against him.

Usually I can take or leave him, but About a Boy is a keeper.

• 2 weeks later...

It's no Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town (1970), or Metropolitan (1990), or Gremlins (1984), or The Lion In Winter (1968), or A Midnight Clear (1992), or Die Hard (1988), or Elf (2003), or Cash On Demand (1961), or The Hudsucker Proxy (1994) or The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993), or Eyes Wide Shut (1999), but it's still a perfectly acceptable Christmas film!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.