RIP Stan Lee

Guest El Chalupacabra

Sad to hear he passed away. I remember hearing his last couple years were rough for him. Hope he went as peacefully as possible. He served in the US Army Signal Corps during WW2. Sort of fitting he passed away during Veteran's Day weekend.

B'DE.

My favourite story he ever co-created (and there may be no way to know for sure now what exactly his role in it was; if he edited it, wrote it, plotted it, co-plotted it, scripted it; the exact level and nature of Stanley Lieber's involvement in this story (and so many others!) might now be lost to the mists of time) is the one about the comic book artist, stymied by his past successes and urged on by two demanding taskmasters, who is hypnotized by the tools of his trade into creating a monster in a foreign land, a monster so realistic it actually becomes real, a monster that --- actually, just go ahead and read it if you want, it's the one from Strange Tales #88.

EdX3k6h.jpg

XQ3mxLp.jpg

7wny6y5.jpg

e9bXe25.jpg

R4MTmc2.jpg

TRRnV5R.jpg

oRzEWg1.jpg

aHguEfU.jpg

EaOJEnx.jpg

7lBASd5.jpg

MV5UJr7.jpg

YNNFF2n.jpg

Y3ivCeN.jpg

Oh, and this radio interview with Jack Kirby (in celebration of his 70th birthday) where Stan calls in and they have a little chat together is what I listened to after hearing he'd died.

"Look at me! I'm Randy, I am a naturally gifted writer and I've been intentionally practicing and improving my craft for decades." Who is this guy?

Seriously, very well written post and blog in general.

Guest El Chalupacabra

He served in the US Army Signal Corps during WW2.

I did not know that.

So did my grandpa.

And so did mine. He was at Guadalcanal.

Because I'm sure he won't self-promote...

You know me well! And I'm floored that you shared that. Thanks. :thumbsup:

"Look at me! I'm Randy, I am a naturally gifted writer and I've been intentionally practicing and improving my craft for decades." Who is this guy?

No idea. Take no chances. BAN HIM.

Oh ****, it actually happened.

Not a hoax. Not a dream. Not an imaginary story. :cry:

I did not know that.

So did my grandpa.

My grandpa refused to talk about his service except that he served in "the Pacific."

How weird would it be if our grandpas served together?

Guest El Chalupacabra

I did not know that.

So did my grandpa.

My grandpa refused to talk about his service except that he served in "the Pacific."

How weird would it be if our grandpas served together?

My grandfather didn't talk about WW2 for a long, long time, other than in general terms. He didn't start to open up about the war, until after I had enlisted in the Army, and even then avoided talking about friends who died, until 2013, the last time I saw him before he passed away. He had really good friends he went through basic with that died at Guadalcanal, and he never completely got over it.

That would be a cool coincidence if they were in the same company. My Grandfather was part of an infantry division called Americal (I believe it was the 23rd ID?). A division is around 15,000 people, so it is possible both our grandfathers were in the same division. In addition to Guadalcanal, he was at New Caledonia, Fiji, and a few other islands. By I think 1944, he caught malaria, which almost killed him, and he was evacuated back to the US, to Texas (I want to say Fort Sam Houston), and later back to MA, where he was from. Took my grandfather over a year to recover from malaria, and he was mustered out around 1946 to 1947.

He was one of the toughest, yet kindest and most humble people I have ever known. Whenever a WW2 vet celebrity like Stan Lee passes away, it reminds me of my grandfather.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Not nearly as weird as if we were married and had three kids together.

Well, yeah! Unless you in the Ozarks, or Colorado City, AZ. Then, it's just normal.

My grandfather didn't talk about WW2 for a long, long time, other than in general terms. He didn't start to open up about the war, until after I had enlisted in the Army, and even then avoided talking about friends who died, until 2013, the last time I saw him before he passed away. He had really good friends he went through basic with that died at Guadalcanal, and he never completely got over it.

That would be a cool coincidence if they were in the same company. My Grandfather was part of an infantry division called Americal (I believe it was the 23rd ID?). A division is around 15,000 people, so it is possible both our grandfathers were in the same division. In addition to Guadalcanal, he was at New Caledonia, Fiji, and a few other islands. By I think 1944, he caught malaria, which almost killed him, and he was evacuated back to the US, to Texas (I want to say Fort Sam Houston), and later back to MA, where he was from. Took my grandfather over a year to recover from malaria, and he was mustered out around 1946 to 1947.

He was one of the toughest, yet kindest and most humble people I have ever known. Whenever a WW2 vet celebrity like Stan Lee passes away, it reminds me of my grandfather.

My grandpa was mustered out due to malaria, too! But otherwise, you got a lot more out of your grandpa, but then I never served so it wasn't like we could trade stories the way you could. I have a holiday brunch coming up in a few weeks with my aunts and uncles on this side, if it's appropriate I should ask them if they know off-hand which division he served with, I believe they found a surprising amount of records when he passed away for someone who burned his uniform (I say "if it's appropriate" because my grandpa was the opposite of a good person and the subject of him in general is a sore one with the family).

Not nearly as weird as if we were married and had three kids together.

Well, yeah! Unless you in the Ozarks, or Colorado City, AZ. Then, it's just normal.

I'm trying to figure out if that would make holidays and family reunions more or less confusing?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.