Could Tropic Thunder be made today?

Metropolis

Kinda odd to say about a movie that's only 10 years old. We've been talking about this at work every since Shaun White had to apologize for dressing up like Simple Jack for Halloween. I mean he was just a dude, playing the dude, dressed as another dude. The movie took some flack when it came out because of the Simple Jack character and Robert Downey's literal black face role. I'm not sure this movie gets green lit in today's sensitive society.

I think Stiller mentioned this himself recently as well didn't he? Also Steve Carrell questioned whether they could even make the Office these days since Michael Scott was such a culturally insensitive character.

I think they can still get away with it but probably not as mainstream or successful as before. It's worth noting that South Park & Always Sunny are still going pretty strong.

I don't think you could get the same people to do it. Like I said, you could get Adam Sandler and his troupe, but I don't think that most A-listers would risk it. Especially because the more liberal contingent would do everything possible to destroy them.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.