Ginsburg breaks three ribs.

Ms. Spam

She's old, she fell and hurt herself. Definitely reasonable to talk about her not being on the Court forever.

And confirmations are going to be rough for a long time. Just wait until the Republicans get to have revenge for the Kavanaugh stuff. Holding on to the allegations screwed them and the country.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Confirmations for SCOTUS have been rough for a long time. Kavanaugh was dem revenge for GOP and Fox News/talk radio chicanery during the confirmations of Sotomayor and Kagan, and holding up the Scalia replacement (Garland)back in the Obama years. The last appointments I remember going fairly smoothly were Alito and Roberts. Even then, you had your usual republican "are they conservative enough?" and "anti-abortion, let's reverse Roe V Wade NOW!" GOP litmus tests with them, and I think Obama denounced both when he was a senator.

I don’t think that you can compare Sotomayor and Karan with Kavanaugh. Both received several Republican votes and passed with 68 and 63 votes. With Garland, you can question the decency, but they were open. With Kavanaugh, they turned attempted rape allegations into a last minute attempt to screw rhings up, without any game plan. Just destruction for the sake of destruction. They weren’t holding the seat open, they weren’t aiming for a more palatable nominee, they just wanted chaos. And they managed it, and put every decision by the Court as one they can easily pretend is suspect.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I don’t think that you can compare Sotomayor and Karan with Kavanaugh. Both received several Republican votes and passed with 68 and 63 votes. With Garland, you can question the decency, but they were open. With Kavanaugh, they turned attempted rape allegations into a last minute attempt to screw rhings up, without any game plan. Just destruction for the sake of destruction. They weren’t holding the seat open, they weren’t aiming for a more palatable nominee, they just wanted chaos. And they managed it, and put every decision by the Court as one they can easily pretend is suspect.

I disagree. If you include the AM talk radio and Fox news pundits, all 3 got really nasty and really personal. Maybe no rape allegations were thrown out ( 2 of the 3 were females so kind of hard to throw out a rape allegation, but the GOP definitely tried their best to assassinate their characters, Garland was just straight up blocked because they wanted to wait out the clock), but every time one side has a chance to get revenge on the other, it is always taken up a notch. And I am in no way defending the dems because I am on record here as being critical of the fact I don't like the idea of this me too movement becoming so politicized, and I dislike the idea of women waiting 30+ years before raising a rape allegation that at that point can never be proven. Time will tell, sure, but once the GOP is the opposition party, and there is a Dem in the White House, you can rest assured, it will be very nasty when theu get their chance for revenge.

Which really speaks to how slimy politics are, and how I am just disgusted by the whole process anymore.

I get you, Chalup. We’re using the same language but talking about different things. When I am saying confirmation, I mean the actual Senate process. And the Democrats are like kids pushing the envelope, unaware that the other side is okay with the envelope falling off the table. Republicans aren’t obstructionists because they want to stop Democrats, they’re obstructionist because they want to stop government. But they’re also good at waiting for the Democrats to give them the tools, and then running with it.

• 3 weeks later...

Confirmations for SCOTUS have been rough for a long time. Kavanaugh was dem revenge for GOP and Fox News/talk radio chicanery during the confirmations of Sotomayor and Kagan, and holding up the Scalia replacement (Garland)back in the Obama years. The last appointments I remember going fairly smoothly were Alito and Roberts. Even then, you had your usual republican "are they conservative enough?" and "anti-abortion, let's reverse Roe V Wade NOW!" GOP litmus tests with them, and I think Obama denounced both when he was a senator.

I honestly have no idea what you mean about Sotomayor and Kagan having it rough. Both sailed through easily, even Sotomayor with her "wise Latina" quotes that legit should have been disqualifying. Seriously, she went out of her way to disagree with the notion of equality with a white male in a prepared speech, instead declaring inherent superiority based on sex and ethnicity. At the very least, bringing it up is fair play. But, while Republicans brought it up, most people probably never even heard about it.

Kagan I don't recall having any difficulty at all. She sailed through without much notice.

I should probably also note that the Democrats had a commanding lead in the Senate at the time, so Republicans couldn't make trouble even if they wanted to.

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.