Another tv show announced

The Choc

Part of it is the quality issue. Disney has already pumped out some utter shit instead of working on quality.

At this point, I would rather watch AotC than anything put out during the Disney era, so the idea of further dillutting the material just makes me think it's going to be harder to make quality stuff.

If you don't like any Disney movies I don't see why you'd draw a line to over production as the problem. It's not as if you liked the Disney stuff and then they started to make more and more and you liked it less. You just don't like what they are doing, no matter how much content they produce.

Even taking it further, I know you said you'd watch AOTC over any of the Disney stuff but I don't think you are a prequel fan either. Correct me if I'm wrong. At this point that means there have been 7 consecutive Star Wars that you don't like. That's a strong trend. I doubt it changes. The fact is at this point you probably won't like any new Star Wars movies again. Won't matter if they release one a year, one every other year, 3 a year. Just won't matter.

Why do people care about that? If a show or movie or whatever comes out and you aren't interested, then don't see it. If you feel there is too much Star Wars, there is a simple solution. This seems like more of a question for Disney in terms of how to maximize their money. But why would a fan worry about that? Disney has plenty of money.

The solution is not as simple as you might think. I can't stop myself from hearing about it or having people ask me what I think.

A fan often wants to consume all of something. So not watching isn't an option for many fans.

And if the object of their obsession becomes over saturated, it risks becoming an object of people's scorn, which can be upsetting to a fan. It also risks degrading the overall quality and both of those things can potentially lead to the series dying. That may not be a real fear here, but I think in general those might be some reasons a fan might not want the market flooded with more and more of the thing they love.

A fan often wants to consume all of something. So not watching isn't an option for many fans.

And if the object of their obsession becomes over saturated, it risks becoming an object of people's scorn, which can be upsetting to a fan. It also risks degrading the overall quality and both of those things can potentially lead to the series dying. That may not be a real fear here, but I think in general those might be some reasons a fan might not want the market flooded with more and more of the thing they love.

If not watching is not an option I'd say that fan has a problem, not the makers of the content. If you can't say no to another bowl of ice cream it's not Ben and Jerry's fault because they produce too much ice cream.

I also don't get why if it becomes the object of other peoples scorn why it would bother a fan. If you are a fan and you like something why should it matter if others like it ot don't? If you enjoy it then who cares?

The last one is the only reason I can really see a fan caring and as you said right now that's not really a problem for Star Wars. Besides as I've said before twice in our lives we thought Star Wars was done. In 1983 and 2005. If Disney makes a bunch of stuff and then stops for whatever reason we've been there before. Life will go on. All these movies and tv shows are gifts.

Why do people care about that? If a show or movie or whatever comes out and you aren't interested, then don't see it. If you feel there is too much Star Wars, there is a simple solution. This seems like more of a question for Disney in terms of how to maximize their money. But why would a fan worry about that? Disney has plenty of money.

The solution is not as simple as you might think. I can't stop myself from hearing about it or having people ask me what I think.

I'm a pretty big fan and most people know this and I've never once been asked my opinion on how much content Disney is producing. Either way you obviously like discussing Star Wars based on the fact that you come here to do it. So why would it be such an issue if people ask you to talk about Star Wars?

I'm not trying to debate you, Choc, I'm trying to explain why some fans feel the way they feel. You often break out the "if you don't like it, don't watch" line of thinking. That is a purely rational approach.

On the spectrum of rational to passionate, many fans exist on the latter end. Their love and passion doesn't always allow for being rational. They love Star Wars and they want it to be a certain way - the way they love it. I mean look at Zerimar and his head canon. As much as some people here may think he's a bit out there, it all comes from how passionate he is, how he feels about Star Wars, not what he thinks about it.

You are right. I'm not saying, nor do I ever say, that anyone shouldn't watch Star Wars anymore or shouldn't post here or anything like that. Although some people seem to think I have said that. All I'm saying here and in other similar discussions is that if these movies or tv shows or whatever are causing you some kind of distress or whatever that maybe you should take a step back. I want someone to read my post and think "I hate TLJ but really who the hell cares!". If movies are causing a fan to be an irrational person then that person needs to take a step back.

And I actually disagree, I think what Zerimar does makes total sense. For the most part he concentrates on the parts of Star Wars that he likes. He saw TFA, didnt like what they did. Assumed he wouldn't like where it would continue with TLJ so I don't think he saw that. That makes total sense to me and is basically what I say everyone should do. Concentrate on what you like. Even if I pretty much 100% disagree with what he likes I think how he approaches it makes sense.

I guess I'm just saying that part of being a fan for many people is being irrational about it. For many, fandom is passionate and it's not about reason.

And that doesn't make them wrong or stupid, it just makes them fans.

And you're no less of a fan if you're rational about it either, but I'm just saying, I may not be as extreme as some in their fanaticism, but I do sometimes have more of an emotional feel for how I want my Star Wars to be than a rational thought about it.

I'm actually more excited about this than the Mandalorian shows. Really liked his character in Rogue One and I'd love to see more. The spy aspect seems like it would fit great.

As for sub par CGI on television. Game of Thrones has proven that with enough of a budget, you can make very convincing cgi, even convincing cgi creatures. These upcoming shows have a larger budget. Mandalorian is a 10 episode, 100 million budget. Which is right on par with recent seasons of GoT.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I'm actually more excited about this than the Mandalorian shows. Really liked his character in Rogue One and I'd love to see more. The spy aspect seems like it would fit great.

As for sub par CGI on television. Game of Thrones has proven that with enough of a budget, you can make very convincing cgi, even convincing cgi creatures. These upcoming shows have a larger budget. Mandalorian is a 10 episode, 100 million budget. Which is right on par with recent seasons of GoT.

You don't have to have a huge budget to have a good show, too. Money doesn't equal quality.

And does everything need to be CGI, anyway? A question that was asked earlier by Tank I think, was if we were at a place where we can have a show with a CGI main character, specifically K2SO. I think it can be done, but really, does K2SO need to be CGI all the time, anyway? He is a robot after all, and a practical effect can be used in most shots, and that would be a lot cheaper.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.