Reorganizing Nightly

I don't think that you guys have any idea what closing the Lyceum would do. At least this way they're mostly contained in one spot. Otherwise they'll be everywhere.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I don't think that you guys have any idea what closing the Lyceum would do. At least this way they're mostly contained in one spot. Otherwise they'll be everywhere.

Since I am not the one deciding, I am OK with whatever is decided. All I am saying is I wouldn't miss it.

Guest El Chalupacabra

You are probably correct that the political discussions would spread to other forums (they do already, but probably more so). All I am saying is that if there was a consensus to ditch it, I'm in. If people want to keep it, I am alright with that, too.

What would you see as the result of ditching the Lyceum?

On the sites I post at where politics are forbidden people are forced to talk about the other topics. You can talk about Star Wars without somebody whining about an SJW agenda.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Sounds like that requires a lot of moderating, though. I think most of us here that still actively post all have busy lives now, and that would be a challenge because it would require mods who can set time aside to do it. I wonder if there is a way to automate the board to flag key terms in certain forums, similar to how spammers are flagged. For example, if a term like SJW pops up in the Star Wars forum, the post gets put on hold for approval or deletion.

But that is pretty aggressive and would be a far different way to mod nightly than has been done traditionally.

There’s no way to do that in our version of IPBoard. My bigger fear would be cutting off a major topic of discussion.

I’m willing to moderate and move more stuff to the Lyceum, but absent convincing arguments I don’t see a reason to ban politics entirely. And if we did, I would be pretty quick to jump on liberal talking points as well, so complaining about racists not liking TLJ would be banned as well.

This thread is intended for opinions, not telling you a plan that's definitely going to happen.

Hard decision time

Do it just do it or not

Tempt fate with a coin

We can get new posters. It was turned off but had absolutely nothing to do with them. Nobody here gives a shit about them. It was turned off because we had massive amounts of spammers joining and hadn't had new users in forever.

Long time lurker... the thing I view more often than not is the archives. I want to remind myself of the idiot I was and also fond memories of things like nAw (Wrestling stuff). Also, sometimes I want to seethe at past issues... I'm looking at you Yogi.

Not that I should really get an opinion here - but I like the idea of 'vetted' members (1000+ posts) getting access to view - as I know there's questionable stuff in there. But, ultimately, I'd say it comes down to $$, right? Does it actually cost anything extra to maintain the archive or even the multiple forums? Or is this just rocking the boat for the sake of rocking the boat.

Anyways... back to lurking. Nice to see so many old faces.

I intend to work on it!

As for change, it's not really so much the idea of change for the sake of change, but can change help the community. We're dying, and we have been for years. We're still losing previously dedicated members (Cerina? Krawlie? Pong?). We'll keep limping along for a while, but there's going to be a point where there's going to be three people left. So it's always worth discussing ideas of how to make things better for the people left, and not just keeping things the same way because that's what we've done.

To put numbers to what I'm talking about, from Sept 1 to today, we've had 39 users who have posted on Nightly. 49 registered users have visited Nightly in that same time.

Also, Archives should be fixed. It's a pain to move everyone, but anyone who has 1000 or more posts and posts from the time I set up the mask (about a month ago) will be switched over and will be able to see them. People with less than 1000 will not have access.

I don't particularly mind consolidating most of the forums and I'm fine with denying access to people who have only made nine hundred and ninety nine posts here (why? because those people are despicable <1000post scum, they deserve the ground, I hate them, I hate their families!!!) but please don't delete anything in the Archives.

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but, for me, my "time portal" is mostly just the literal actual factual morbid truth that sometimes people I care about (in a particular way), uh, y'know, die (e.g S. Lee, S. Ditko) combined with the much happier and more pedestrian reality that sometimes Nightly will e-mail me if someone messages me through it or Likes my posts or whatnot.

Oh, and also, there is sometimes a new Star War, too.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.