Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Conners (spoilers)

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

• Supporters
  • 8,422 posts

As an aside, I live in the rural midwest, and if you really want to use a drug to flag your character as white trash, you'd use meth, not opioids.

Meth is everywhere, but so are opioids. Without getting into some long, drawn out political debate about drugs, I suspect ABC chose opioids as a cause of death because when it comes to the drug debate, opioids are what's being talked about the most right now. 

Tank

Tank

Driver

• 34,202 posts
Of course it is! Middle class white woman are dying! When it was rednecks with meth, or black people with crack the POV is different.

Imagine if Roseanne had died of a crack overdose.
  • Iceheart +1 this

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

• Supporters
  • 8,422 posts

Yeah, but prescription drug abuse is excusable and tragic.  Illegal drug abuse like meth and crack, aren't.  At least in the context of TV.

Iceheart

Iceheart

No.

• Moderators
  • 20,411 posts

As an aside, I live in the rural midwest, and if you really want to use a drug to flag your character as white trash, you'd use meth, not opioids.

Meth is everywhere, but so are opioids. Without getting into some long, drawn out political debate about drugs, I suspect ABC chose opioids as a cause of death because when it comes to the drug debate, opioids are what's being talked about the most right now. 

That was implied in my post, seeing as how we're really only talking about this because opioids were named as a "hillbilly" drug in an early thread post. Roseanne Conner wasn't white trash. No one would believe that Roseanne would develop a meth addiction (even though, I mean, she definitely could have realistically, addiction has nothing to do with income or status). But anyone from any socio-economic bracket can be over-prescribed opioids by a well-meaning doctor, and can end up abusing them.

Fozzie

Fozzie

• Admin
  • 4,383 posts
Comparing the crack and opiod epidemics and deciding that the differences are primarily racial ignores major issues, not the least of which is that the death rate from opiods is roughly five times greater.
  • Tank +1 this

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

• Supporters
  • 8,422 posts

Guys, just for the record, I wasn't making a judgement of one over the other, just stating the reason I think ABC selected opioids.  Obviously, addiction in any form isn't good.  

Odine

Odine

• Supporters
  • 2,061 posts

Roseanne Conner wasn't white trash.

Really? Cause growing up as a kid and seeing the show she always seemed that way to me.

Iceheart

Iceheart

No.

• Moderators
  • 20,411 posts

No, the Conners are working class/blue collar. The whole appeal of the show is that they're the American Every Family (at least in a certain socio-economic bracket). They hold down long-term employment (and if they do find themselves unemployed, it's due to something like outsourcing or downsizing, not because they're unreliable employees or just flat-out don't want to work), are home and car owners, put three meals on the table every day, and are conscientious parents. The humor is in the relatability.

The first example of white trash on American TV that comes to mind for me is the Crowder family on Justified, especially characters like Dewey Crowder. If you're familiar with that show (you should be, it's great)... yeah, there are some low-income surface similarities, but that's a whole different lifestyle than what the Conners live.

Tank

Tank

Driver

• 34,202 posts
The Crowder's were hillbillies.

White Trash is more like the cast of My Name is Earl.

...not to be confused with the Rednecks of Hazard County.
  • Fozzie +1 this

Odine

Odine

• Supporters
  • 2,061 posts
I was more referring to roseannes personality that made her white trash. You can still have plenty of money/ hold down a stable job and still be white trash in my book. But i take your points

monkeygirl

monkeygirl

Advad Disagerer

• Administrator
  • 22,075 posts

Her character referred to the family being white trash a number of times on the old show. And the old show is back on TV now-it's on really early weekend mornings

monkeygirl

monkeygirl

Advad Disagerer

• Administrator
  • 22,075 posts

I binged/caught up on this recently and really am loving it. The actors still have some timing issues, it seems-maybe-I don't know enough about TV but they seem a bit slow at times. I'm loving how they're dealing with Roseanne's death; the neighborhood drug pool is so real and the different reactions of all involved seem so accurate to me. (One of my BFF's families is dealing with the loss of their matriarch and tho it wasn't a drug-related death, I'm seeing the same varied reactions in all of them)

I ADORE the character of Mark, I love grown-up Geena and Jackie's zeal for the Democratic party is funny to me.

Mostly, I think the writing is still better than most sit-coms-they seem to be better able to balance snark and acerbic wit with humor and not leave you feeling compromised for laughing-it never seems to go *too* far.

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

• Supporters
  • 8,422 posts

I've got nothing because I haven't watched this show since the premier.  

But it doesn't surprise me that the writing (based on your account) is strong.  They probably are trying their hardest to put out as good a show a Rosanne show minus Rosanne can be.  Whether or not that can save the show, remains to be seen.  Based on what I have read, the Conners is probably going to be cancelled after this season.  

If/when The Conners and the Rosanne revival series are released on bluray, they probably should package the two shows together.