The Conners (spoilers)

Guest El Chalupacabra

I just saw the still in the link so didn't get a great look at Goodman, though he doesn't look so bad... Hes just old. He looks a lot healthier for having lost all the weight tbh, as does Roseanne Barr.

I used to watch the OG series when I was a kid, but no interest in it as a show for years.

i reckon they chose the opiod addiction death as a bit of a twist of the knife to Rosanne after her comments. Giving her death-by-oxy is a bit of a way of calling her a hillbilly.

I don't see how dying of an addiction is any kind of slight or "twist of the knife" to Roseanne or anyone else. Plenty of people who aren't "hillbillies" die of addiction to opiodes. The fact that you guys see it as reflecting poorly on someone is just kinda ridiculous on your part.

So we both post on the same messageboard and when I write in the same thread I'm a "cyber stalker". In all honesty I was writing to the other guy because I was under the impression you couldn't see my posts. I mean I even used the exact terms he used "twist of the knife" and "hillbilly". Maybe I should have quoted his post and talked to him directly?

I'm glad you can though, not too many posters here anymore so it's a shame if there is one less to interact with. Especially someone who posts stuff that I sometimes feel the need to reply to.

Opiod addiction is a huge issue that transcends socio-economic class. But it makes people feel better to think that it's hillbillies and idiots.

Opiod related death seems to fit into the traditional Roseanne method of focusing on current issues. Making her live and go off somewhere would've been more of a twisting of the knife.

Opiod addiction is real, it's awful, and you can't easily tell who is addicted, even amongst close friends and family. When I worked at a pharmacy, we were very aware of who was addicted and what doctors were helping feed the addiction, but there was almost nothing we could do about it. And I'm talking salesmen, successful business people, even VPs of major companies.

They actually set up that Roseanne was on opiods for knee problems last season. She was already showing signs of abusing them, too, and that she and Dan didn't have health insurance that would pay for knee surgery. The season then ended with her planning to have the surgery. As such, killing her off this way was actually set up surprisingly well given that it wasn't meant to do this.

I don't see how dying of an addiction is any kind of slight or "twist of the knife" to Roseanne or anyone else. Plenty of people who aren't "hillbillies" die of addiction to opiodes. The fact that you guys see it as reflecting poorly on someone is just kinda ridiculous on your part.

*sigh*

I don't see any addiction as reflecting poorly on an individual. Your assumption of my views based on a passing thought on a message board makes you ridiculous. Personally I have used and abused many substances both recreational and proscribed that I would never judge someone based on their poor choices. I would be nothing more than a hypocrite.

Though I'd be willing to bet the average watcher of Roseanne would. Hence my idea that it was a twist of the knife by the network. What better way to show your disdain of Roseannes racist comments than writing her off as a sad drug addict, that a lot of the viewership would look down at. Though what do I know? I haven't watched shit american sitcoms since I was a teenager.

Honestly, I came in here just to see how they killed the character off. And I'm really surprised that I didn't guess it right off the bat.

I watched the original show when it was on in the 80's/90's, but I'm finding that the nostalgia revivals are kinda tainting my childhood memories at this point, and since this one was touted as being very political and I am very much on political fatigue, I passed.

But as a chronic pain patient who doesn't even use opioids but still has the epidemic hanging over my head nearly every day, I'm not at all surprised that that's where they went with the story. Didn't This Is Us have an opioid addiction storyline, too? I'm surprised it hasn't made it into more tv and movies, but then I don't watch much that takes place in a realistic setting.

*sigh*

I don't see any addiction as reflecting poorly on an individual. Your assumption of my views based on a passing thought on a message board makes you ridiculous. Personally I have used and abused many substances both recreational and proscribed that I would never judge someone based on their poor choices. I would be nothing more than a hypocrite.

Though I'd be willing to bet the average watcher of Roseanne would. Hence my idea that it was a twist of the knife by the network. What better way to show your disdain of Roseannes racist comments than writing her off as a sad drug addict, that a lot of the viewership would look down at. Though what do I know? I haven't watched **** american sitcoms since I was a teenager.

I can only go by what you say here, you are right that I don't know exactly what your thinking is on any subject. So maybe in the future you could read over your posts and make sure they accurately reflect what you mean?

Anyway, I disagree with your 2nd paragraph. Unfortunately drug addiction has became so widespread that most Americans probably know someone who has had problems with and wouldn't look at it that way any longer. Some would, for sure, but most wouldn't in this day and age.

I haven't watched the show either but Roseanne in it's heyday was a show that didn't shy away from problems that many Ameican's faced, so my guess is they used the decision to kill off her character as an opportunity to do the same thing here.

In the end, I'm glad that you don't feel that way about drug addicts and I'm sorry you've dealt with that awful disease. Maybe it hits too close to home for me. However here is the last thing you said in your original post "I reckon they chose the opiod addiciton death as a bit of a twist of the knife to Roseanne after her comments. Giving her death by oxy is a bit of a way of calling her a hillbilly." Again, I'll ask how would I not think that is your opinion there?

Last season was uneven. There were good episodes and others that played to much on nostalgia. Rumor has it that ABC is wondering if they should have moved forward without Rosanne. They are worried about ratings and think they might have to cancel it.

The mistake I think was to try and keep the familiar setting/set-up/dynamics of Roseanne, just minus Roseanne.

They should have pivoted.

Make the show about Darlene and her kids. Set it in THEIR home. Do the same blue-collar poor folk approach to things. You get Becky just like Roseanne has Jackie. Dan can come over to babysit and fix stuff. David can come by when he's not on the worst, and yet highest paid, sitcom ever. They had all the pieces to do a new show with the same themes and characters, but instead tried to just remove the title character from something that had been a certain way for decades.

*sigh*

Though I'd be willing to bet the average watcher of Roseanne would. Hence my idea that it was a twist of the knife by the network. What better way to show your disdain of Roseannes racist comments than writing her off as a sad drug addict, that a lot of the viewership would look down at. Though what do I know? I haven't watched **** american sitcoms since I was a teenager.

In the end, I'm glad that you don't feel that way about drug addicts and I'm sorry you've dealt with that awful disease. Maybe it hits too close to home for me. However here is the last thing you said in your original post "I reckon they chose the opiod addiciton death as a bit of a twist of the knife to Roseanne after her comments. Giving her death by oxy is a bit of a way of calling her a hillbilly." Again, I'll ask how would I not think that is your opinion there?

Ahh man, don't feel bad. I had a blast doing what I did and I was never an addict. Came close, but never full blown. Also I don't think addiction is a disease. Its a trait. One that can be channeled appropriately, into constructive things, if one tries hard enough. But the idea of calling it a disease doesn't sit well with me, as I know plenty of addicts who have managed to turn that trait around to be a source of strength rather than weakness.

As to the hillbilly thing. I was only meaning to make the connection that Oxy sometimes is referred to as 'hillbilly heroin', and that just perhaps, just maybe they were making one last dig at Roseanne. But you know, whatever. I was only speculating... and everyone has come up with more thoughtful responses and more accurate conclusions than what I did in my little post.

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.