So....The Mandalorian

Filthy Jawa

I legit may not even watch season 2 because theyre bringing him back. I hate the character and theres no reason for him to be any more popular than a random stormtrooper.

I legit may not even watch season 2 because theyre bringing him back. I hate the character and theres no reason for him to be any more popular than a random stormtrooper.

I think that TLJ and TROS was so mind-bending, flip-floppy, love/hate/love/hate for me that it finally broke me about really caring. I should put this in the Does SW Matter thread, but unless somebody insists AOTC is quality, I just don't super care.

I am still interested, I still want to see new SW. But it's no longer able to generate any true reaction from me anymore.

There was a time I hated Fett. There was I time I loved him, but adamantly felt he died in the pit. There was a time (playing Battlefront) I was glad they brought him back.

After TLJ and TROS though, there's just nothing narratively they can do that will get a reaction out of me.

My main thing is, I have a very strong idea that theyre going to tell a story that I have no interest in, and theyre doing it to make Fett fanboys happy. So its hard to consider wasting my time on something that doesnt interest me.

It isnt a bad thing. I ditched The Walking Dead after season 2, because the story I enjoyed was done.

Boba Fett escaping is one of the dumbest things to happen in all of Star Wars. Always has been, always will be. The first time I became aware of it I actually said to myself "thank god I don't read any of that garbage."

I mean, it's not as dumb as the idea that a tribe of pigmy teddy bears could help take out a legion of imperial troops and destroy a shield generator and multiple AT-STs with sticks and logs.

Boba Fett escaping is one of the dumbest things to happen in all of Star Wars. Always has been, always will be. The first time I became aware of it I actually said to myself "thank god I don't read any of that garbage."

Okay, I'm trying to find the original post everyone is quoting where someone said, "he was just too cool to get eaten" or whatever so I could quote it and reply, but looking for it has become tedious. In any case, the dude was wearing a freaking jet pack! And he had highly destructive weapons! Given how unceremoniously (and comically) his "death" occurred, is it really such a stretch he made it out alive? Does it really ruin anything? Really? I can see the point about Palpatine's resurrection, but Boba Fett's is in no way on the same footing. If anything, I think it would have been cheap to leave him dead.

Further, how can you know that something you've never read (or played, or listened to, etc.) is garbage? I don't say that aside from the sequels, apart from Episode VII, which I have seen and can emphatically say I hate.

Also, I don't get why Odine hates Boba Fett. Assuming we're going on the movies alone, what exactly is there to hate? It's like saying I hate the bartender in the old West segment of Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure.

Which is moronic, for obvious reasons. You can't take something that people have mixed feelings about and compare it to something that is universally abhorred. It has no logic behind it whatsoever and tells me that you've made your judgment based on biased opinions and secondhand reporting.

What else you got?

Im not Odine.

The character is terrible because hes supposed to be a big tough bounty hunter, but hes defeated by a blind guy with a stick.

Fett fans make him even worse, because they idolize him because they think he looked cool.

Also, bringing back dead characters is stupid. Knowing that Maul comes back is a real reason why I dont care about watching the cartoons. That and the Father / Daughter / Son thing.

And Im equal opportunity on it. I didnt watch Rise of Skywalker until I was laid up with Covid because it was a stupid idea.

Not saying its stupid for every franchise, but its stupid for Star Wars.

And, yes, Fett has a jet pack and whatever, but the story of RotJ was definitely his death. No amount of retcon can change that.

The problem with having characters live who clearly are meant to have been dead is that it takes all stakes out of the story. If Fett, Maul, Sidious all just come back when clearly they were killed, then the next character who is killed why do you believe he or she is dead? And if we don't believe that character is dead then why do we even care what happens to them?

And it's not like any of those characters deaths were vague. Fett is swallowed by a monster which then burps, Maul is friggin cut in half and Sidious is thrown down a shaft on a space station which is moments later completely destroyed.

The idea of a character coming back to life is something that does happen in fantasy storytelling, but it has to be done sparingly and there has to be a good reason behind it. Or else like I said, it takes all stakes away from the story.

As for hating Fett, its more what he represents. Boba Fett somewhere along the way became the avatar of the "hard core" Star Wars fans. You go back to early 90s when it had been a decade since the last movie and 99% of people had moved on. Star Wars was something people liked but it was in the past, it wasn't an active fandom. But you had those hard core fans who kinda stuck with it. Now everyone knew Luke, Leia, Han, Lando, Threepio, Vader etc. but most people didn't know Boba Fett by name. HIs name is only said once in the movies. If in 1994 you asked someone who Boba Fett was, no one would know. Youd have to say "he was the bounty hunter." So the hard core fans adopted Boba Fett.

Now fast forward and that is the past of fandom which is killing Star Wars, the part of fandom which thinks it owns Star Wars and wants to exclude others. Thats the part of fandom who in 1993 if someone said "oh man I love Star Wars" but that person didn't know who Fett was by name would then basically say that person was not a fan. The fandom that adopted Fett and made him a big deal is the fandom that feels Star Wars is theirs.

That's what people hate about Boba Fett, he has grown to represent the part of fandom which sucks.

I fully admit to getting both POVs. I know he was pointless and got killed by a stick, and his death was definitive... but a gadgety, armored, space hunter is a fun cool concept, and I it appealed to me. I know pizza is terrible for me, but I like it. SW has nowhere near the level of pathos, smarts, or straight up quality for me to really hold it to my standards of entertainment, but I love it.

I think this is kind of the point with The Mandalorian-- they wanted to show us all the stuff we'd had to imagine or go to the EU too see Fett do. But he's a badguy, and technically dead, so they give us another Mandalorian.

I fully admit to getting both POVs. I know he was pointless and got killed by a stick, and his death was definitive... but a gadgety, armored, space hunter is a fun cool concept, and I it appealed to me. I know pizza is terrible for me, but I like it. SW has nowhere near the level of pathos, smarts, or straight up quality for me to really hold it to my standards of entertainment, but I love it.

I think this is kind of the point with The Mandalorian-- they wanted to show us all the stuff we'd had to imagine or go to the EU too see Fett do. But he's a badguy, and technically dead, so they give us another Mandalorian.

I agree wholeheartedly, which is why Im even more annoyed about Fett returning.

Theyre also setting up way more of a Force user battle going on, and that wasnt what I signed up for with this show. Obviously its Star Wars, and The Child is a Force user, but I dont think that means we need adult Force users, especially since the OT makes it explicitly clear that they didnt exist at this time. I know, I know, arguments - nobody is a Jedi or a Sith, but thats all bullshit that the EU and cartoons got wrong, IMO, and Im not interested.

The Force Awakens is the #1 grossing movie in North American history, I'd say that's a hit.

Financially, yes. That's not what I was getting at. The Mandalorian is a hit financially, critically, as well as with the fans both old and new and the general public adored The Child. I haven't' stopped seeing normies sharing BY memes on social media. No one talks about The Force Recycled now. Thank goodness for Favreau and Dave Filoni for rescuing Star Wars.

Well I mean TFA came out 5 years ago, I wouldn't expect to people to be talking about it all that much. That'd be odd. As for the Mandalorian, its a pretty good show. Which is fine but personally I don't find it anything special. I'm glad alot of people do seem to like it though. Whoever came up with an designed Baby Yoda deserves a dump truck full of money.

Im not Odine.

Forgive me. I'm old.

The problem with having characters live who clearly are meant to have been dead is that it takes all stakes out of the story. If Fett, Maul, Sidious all just come back when clearly they were killed, then the next character who is killed why do you believe he or she is dead? And if we don't believe that character is dead then why do we even care what happens to them?

Like I said, I get where you're coming from with Maul and Sidious and fully agree with you (although if the story is good and the characters on-point, I can forgive it, which Dark Empire was on its way to being had it been more polished and not so rushed), but with Fett, there were no stakes. Well, hardly any. He was "killed" in an important and non-serious way, which makes me feel as though his "death" wasn't serious to begin with. I always felt this way, even as a little kid, long before I became an EU fan. I thought, did Boba Fett really just die? Nah, there's no way! I thought this not because I was a Boba Fett fan by any stretch, but because he seemed somewhat important to the story in Empire and little more than cannon fodder in Jedi. I felt this way even in my early youth, before I knew anything about writing or storytelling.

Also, George Lucas played a very active role in influencing the story and characters of Dark Empire, including the return of Boba Fett. That tells me that he didn't entirely intend for his ridiculous "death" in Jedi to have been the end of the character, or at least he didn't care much about it and was supportive of expanding the character in the EU and allowing for a more dignified fate.

He also told them to find a way to bring the Emperor back instead of going with the original plan, which was to have the villain be someone masquerading as Vader. I agree that it wasn't the greatest idea, but it was his. My guess is that he wanted to see something resembling his original plan for having the emperor killed in the original planned nine-part saga (or twelve-part, depending upon the source) revisited in some capacity.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.