So....The Mandalorian

Filthy Jawa

• 1 month later...

So Rosario Dawson is needing cast as Ahsoka Tano for season 2 of the Mandalorian. Interesting. I like Dawson, but she is bigger than I would picture a live action Ahsoka. Also with her being an animated character, I'm used to Ashley Eckstein's voice. Hopefully this works. You have to imagine a Ahsoka versus Moff Gideon.

I can't imagine her involvement doesn't involve prior knowledge. I'm sure they'll write it to where it doesn't matter.

The Rebels season finale fight between her and Vader was great. Especially with JEJ doing the voice for Vader and Matt Lanter for Anakin.

The story was out last year that she wanted to play Ahsoka - I forget the details exactly. I think a someone did a fan casting photoshop thing and she got on board, but It's weird to me, actors lobbying to play characters. I mean it's one thing to go for a role that's being cast obviously, but this tail wagging the dog thing feels off to me somehow.

Sort of like Ryan Reynolds and Deadpool. There are probably other examples too.

Well anyway, I like this casting better than the Ashley Eckstein idea.

It's a little more blatant now, but I don't think it's that much different from publicists "letting it slip" that someone is being considered for a role, whether true or not, to try to get public support.

In fact, you might say

http://i.redd.it/1v9wp6p8gwsy.jpg

I've also often wondered how big the lure of the convention circuit is. On the one hand, an actor may view it as sad or demeaning, but on the other, I figure it's a nice insurance policy for your retirement if you don't turn out to have the career of that guy in the previous post.

I don't know shot the rumors of Ezra and Maul being in the second season. Maybe if it's an episode with all of them in there. I don't know about them passing major roles. As much as I would get a kick out of it, they need to serve the story. Besides Sabine is the one who you would think would have been a lock for the show in someway shape or form.

I don't know shot the rumors of Ezra and Maul being in the second season. Maybe if it's an episode with all of them in there. I don't know about them passing major roles. As much as I would get a kick out of it, they need to serve the story. Besides Sabine is the one who you would think would have been a lock for the show in someway shape or form.

I don't see how Maul will show up, unless its a holocron or flashback. I have to believe they intended him to be in Solo 2, but that's not going to happen now. Obi Wan killed him, and chronologically that took place before ANH. Ezra, and Thrawn...maybe, since this is Post ROTJ.

I honestly think this could be a mistake for them. Ahsoka is loved by a certain part of the fanbase for sure, but that is an animated character voiced by a certain actress. Just to start recasting it is risky as the fans who already love the character may not like Dawson's portrayal.

A larger issue I think is this: many more people watch the Mandalorian than watch Clone Wars or Rebels. The exact amount more I have no clue but its significant. To introduce a character with so much backstory that Im sure will play into how she is portrayed on the show is potentially a bad idea. The Mando fans who have little to no idea who she is and are unfamiliar with the animated shows will think "oh geez I gotta watch a friggin cartoon to really know whats going on here."

Ofcourse it's not impossible for them to pull it off really well, it could work. Im not saying it's doomed or anything. However they are certainly risking alienating fans who don't lke the new portrayal while at the same time turning off Mando only fans who may think they have to get "too into" Star Wars to really know whats going on.

I don't know that they even need Ahsoka. Save her for the next (and inevitable) Dave Filoni CGI series. I know I rail against the ST, but would like to see a CGI series centered around Luke's Jedi Order with a young Kylo, and that would be a great series for Ahsoka to be in. Or whatever CGI series Filoni develops, if he does.

But live action? Keep Ahsoka out of it. Really, my opinion is that the Mandalorian should stand on its own, with its own characters and not rely on CGI characters at all. I know they sort have already opened that bottle, but it should be kept at a minimum.

The Maul rumor comes from casting rumors. Don't know if Ray Park has been nosing around the set of season 2. After the announcement of Dawson, there was talk of am older version of Ezra Bridger being looked at. Timing seems off. They've already started filming season 2. The Ahsoka caring seems like something that pops up in the season finale.

I honestly think this could be a mistake for them. Ahsoka is loved by a certain part of the fanbase for sure, but that is an animated character voiced by a certain actress. Just to start recasting it is risky as the fans who already love the character may not like Dawson's portrayal.

A larger issue I think is this: many more people watch the Mandalorian than watch Clone Wars or Rebels. The exact amount more I have no clue but its significant. To introduce a character with so much backstory that Im sure will play into how she is portrayed on the show is potentially a bad idea. The Mando fans who have little to no idea who she is and are unfamiliar with the animated shows will think "oh geez I gotta watch a friggin cartoon to really know whats going on here."

Ofcourse it's not impossible for them to pull it off really well, it could work. Im not saying it's doomed or anything. However they are certainly risking alienating fans who don't lke the new portrayal while at the same time turning off Mando only fans who may think they have to get "too into" Star Wars to really know whats going on.

Season 1 was 8 episodes. 7 really because #6 was throw a way garbage. I don't think Filoni and Happy Hogan will sacrifice finite time for some fan service. Of all of the Clone War and Rebels characters the only one who has any real place in this universe is Sabine Ren. That's mostly because she IS a Mandalorian.

Well, when we last saw Ahsoka (just after the fall of the Empire) she was partnering up with Sabine to go looking for Ezra. The timeline fits and this is a Filoni show - you know he wants to follow up on his characters. I hate fan service, but I don't think this is that. It's continuing the Dave Filoni saga.

I don't think this will give us the resolution of Ezra Bridger's story - this isn't Rebels. But a crossover with Ahsoka and Sabine doesn't seem offside to me.

As for dragging casual fans into 'deep Star Wars'. I'm not concerned - I think Favreau and Filoni have the sense and good taste not to do it that way.

The fact that Mando doesn't know them makes it easy to write without viewers having to know their backstory. They can be in this and be written as if they were new characters who have some backstory none of us know. Except a bunch of us do know it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.