So....The Mandalorian

Filthy Jawa

What I don't understand is why do celebrities, actors in particular, have to vomit out their political and social opinions on Twitter, in the first place? Is it hubris? Self importance? Getting caught up in celebrity with people around you telling you your words matter like EF Hutton? I don't get it.  Opinions are like ***holes as they say, everyone has one. If someone is a celebrity, doesn't it make sense to keep those opinions to oneself, so as not to alienate one's customer base?  

Pro tip:  Actors need to STFU, and be happy they have a job that pays millions for playing pretend, and all they have to do is NOT offend people.   Not too much to ask, really. 

Artists of any medium being involved socially and politically is in no way a new thing.  They just have a bigger megaphone for it in recent years.

I personally feel as if anyone has a right to speak their mind to a reasonable extent.  Blowback is just kind of natural selection for those that take it too far.  

Just now, D-Ray Kenobi said:

Artists of any medium being involved socially and politically is in no way a new thing.  They just have a bigger megaphone for it in recent years.

I personally feel as if anyone has a right to speak their mind.  Blowback is just kind of natural selection for those that take it too far.

I know it's nothing new, but the difference is that with painters or sculptors, writers,or even singers, they are producing something tangible.  People inclined to agree with a painter,  or writer for example, tend to purchase their art because of it.  

In an actor's case, however, they don't create the role.  They are hired to portray a role someone else wrote.  Also, actors are essentially the face of the company.  In this case, Gina C was a face for Disney.  She was hired by Disney to portray a role, not espouse her personal opinions.  It would be one thing if she expressed support for Trump, it's another to attack a segment of the Disney customer base.  Not all that different from the controversy caused by Pablo Hidalgo or Rian Johnson, when they also offended a certain segment of Star Wars fans, with their asinine comments.   Disney has 100% the right to fire Gina C, because she is stating things that are antithetical to their company's philosophy of inclusion. 

I got into an argument with a basic bro on FB.  He said we need more people in the present day like George Carlin and Richard Pryor to fight back against political correctness.  I simply stated that comedians can and still do say basically whatever they want but none of them ever made antisemitic comments.  Additionally, they aren't employees of a company.  

Of course none of that made any sense to him and that Disney were the ones being antisemitic to her.  Lol

I was coming to post exactly what D-Ray said. I too get the point she was making about the left persecuting the right... but the right also persecutes the left, and you have to be an idiot to make any sort of correlation to the holocaust. When has that EVER worked for somebody?

I don’t have a problem with actors sharing their opinions - anyone has that right and ability. But there are sometimes consequences for doing so. 

If you’re the public face for an organization: an actor, CEO, or similar, I think you need to be ready for the consequences and f your actions.  I feel worse for people who are not high profile, like the woman who got fired for flipping Trump off while she was riding her bike.

It'd be one thing if it was her first offense with this, but it happening repeatedly is the huge issue that some/many don't want to acknowledge, especially if rumors are true that Favreau event stuck up for her before to try to keep her on after the previous issues with her behavior on social media.

It's too bad.  I enjoyed both her and her character on the show.  It would have been great if she had been able to cooperate with her bosses to stick around.  Oh well.

She's repeatedly posted incredibly tone-deaf, out-of-touch things, and then doubled down any time she was called out on it. So it's not like any particular post of hers was all that bad, but it really paints the narrative of someone who's committed to their subtle bigotry and can't be taught or reasoned with. If she'd played a bigger part in the series, I'm sure that her personality would have eventually led to legit working issues as well. 

17 hours ago, Tank said:

I was coming to post exactly what D-Ray said. I too get the point she was making about the left persecuting the right... but the right also persecutes the left, and you have to be an idiot to make any sort of correlation to the holocaust. When has that EVER worked for somebody?

Conservatives are using this thought process exactly as they are now coming out of the woodwork telling LFL to fire Pedro Pascal for his post from two years ago where he compared the plight of immigrant children in the US to the Nazi persecutions.  

That’s the problem with cancel culture. You make one side happy by doing something, the other side comes out and says, well if you’re going to do that then you better also do this because “he did it too.”

The difference is, and conservatives know this but love to play victim, Pedro didn’t continue to do it. You’re probably not going to get fired for showing up late to work once. But if the boss talks to you about it and you keep showing up late, you won’t have a job for long. It’s the same with a public figure intentionally being edgy on social media.

On 2/11/2021 at 10:48 AM, Zathras said:

In this case, Gina C was a face for Disney.  She was hired by Disney to portray a role, not espouse her personal opinions.  It would be one thing if she expressed support for Trump, it's another to attack a segment of the Disney customer base.  

NFL players are hired to play football, not espouse their personal opinions.  Their antics during the National Anthem while in uniform and right before their games have antagonized a big section of their audience which has cost the NFL in ratings.

Do you believe the NFL should fire any football player who engages in this political speech while on the clock?  What's-her-face isn't even doing this on camera.

55 minutes ago, Jedi Cool said:

NFL players are hired to play football, not espouse their personal opinions.  Their antics during the National Anthem while in uniform and right before their games have antagonized a big section of their audience which has cost the NFL in ratings.

Do you believe the NFL should fire any football player who engages in this political speech while on the clock?  What's-her-face isn't even doing this on camera.

The guy who started it did get fired. 

1 hour ago, Jedi Cool said:

Yeah, at first, I didn't like Kaepernick taking a knee during the national anthem.  I thought it was disrespectful.  But then given recent epidemic of it happening (or more properly, awareness of it happening, as it always has, but just wasn't covered by the news like it should have been), I came to realize that there is a world of  difference between protesting innocent black men being dragged out of their cars and choked to death, and complaining you got fired for trying to equivocate your privileged, first-world troubles and insignificant twitter fits with the Holocaust.   

Its really just about if the juice is worth the squeeze. If Russell Wilson had knelt instead of Kap hed have faced no discipline. He is just too valuable. Its the same here. I don't think any one thing Gina said was all that bad. She just kept constantly knocking on that door between beliefs you may disagree with and actual horrible beliefs. But she just wasn't worth the trouble to Disney any more. These are business decisions by companies, not moral ones. 

Agreed.  No single incident was a firing offense, except the Holocaust statement.  This is less about saying something off the cuff once in a while, and establishing a pattern of saying off the cuff things, even after she faced backlash multiple times, and was likely talked to by LFL.  She offended some people, and instead of just apologizing and moving forward, she just double-downed.

Actors are also more replaceable than NFL-level football players. Especially in large groups. And NFL players have a union that protects them.

I like and respect Jedi Cool, but I think that even if you assume the two are the same, the football player most known for activism that made conservatives angry was canceled by those conservatives who claim to hate cancel culture. He was fired and then owner colluded to ensure he would never play football again.  This woman is just not being hired and we only have rumors and assumptions that she was ever going to work for Lucasfilm again. For all we know, they were done with her. 

But, I also 100% believe that a private company has a right to fire a spokesperson for their public statements. And an actor is a spokesperson for a company, way more than some football player that’s wearing a uniform that covers his face.

I agree with alot of what you say, but the starting QB of an NFL team is a huge spokesperson for that team. Normally the QB and the head coach are the 2 big faces of the franchise. If it were a left guard you were talking about youd be right, but in this case Kap was easily more prominent inside the Niners as Carrano is for Lucasfilm. 

22 minutes ago, The Choc said:

I agree with alot of what you say, but the starting QB of an NFL team is a huge spokesperson for that team. Normally the QB and the head coach are the 2 big faces of the franchise. If it were a left guard you were talking about youd be right, but in this case Kap was easily more prominent inside the Niners as Carrano is for Lucasfilm. 

My point is that Jedi Cool is saying “whatabout?” and the high profile person was already fired. They aren’t going to just fire everybody. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.