So....The Mandalorian

Filthy Jawa

5 minutes ago, Jedigoat said:

Is it ok if I talk about the Mandalorian for a sec?   Does anyone think next season's rating dip a little without Grogu or do you think it'll be ok?  

Way to derail. Gawd.

I wonder if the show will find a way to keep Grogu in the mix somehow.  Possibly something to do with cloning and bringing Snoke up in the mix? Surely with the eleven jillion shows Disney is bringing out we'll get some backstory for Snoke in there somewhere. 

1 hour ago, The Choc said:

The thing is Zerimar you have to realize that the way you enjoy Star Wars is going to seem a bit crazy, even to people who have spent a couple decades hanging around a Star Wars messageboard. Others are going to rib you a bit. It like this, I used ot spend alot of time going over baseball stats, ranking teams and players. That sort of things. Even other baseball fans would give me a hard time "you need to find something better to do." I'd laugh and say you are probably right. When people here give you a hard time you take it personally and get defensive. Which only makes it more fun for the ones giving you a hard time to continue with it.

Just have some self awareness. Your style of fandom is going to seem ultra nerdy even to other nerds. 

I got you. Thanks for telling me. Good to know it's all in good fun.

Remember: autistic (I'm pretty sure).

51 minutes ago, Jedigoat said:

Is it ok if I talk about the Mandalorian for a sec?   Does anyone think next season's rating dip a little without Grogu or do you think it'll be ok?  

It depends on the first couple episodes and the direction they go.  I suspect the Mando will get involved with Mandalore politics, restoring Bo Katan as the ruler of Mandalore, etc and Filoni will start expanding the Mandalore mythos more.  Grogu may be reintroduced later, but I personally think in order to develope Din Djarin as a character, they need to let him have his  own adventures without Grogu.   Some who just tune in to see what cute thing Grogu does this week will be turned off, but those who are into the world building of Mando, will stick with it.

I personally think Mando should have died trying to get Grogu to Luke, but it’s money to keep it going.

Anyway, it would have fit right in the end of the finale... with Grogu and Mando having that same type of goodbye, probably with Luke still translating with something like he says it is okay to let go now. Died from what? The injuries he would have sustained up to, duh. So he goes out defeating Terminators, getting internal damage, defeats the Evil Queen’s Mirror but is slashed up good by that supposedly awesome lethal dark sword of doom. He then goes to stand his ground with everyone, Luke shows up, then eventually that goodbye.

I’m dumb tho, I wanted Mando to throw Grogu in carbon freeze the moment he got him that first time. lol

7 hours ago, Zathras said:

Some who just tune in to see what cute thing Grogu does this week will be turned off, but those who are into the world building of Mando, will stick with it.

Thing is though the cute things Grogu does is what is resonating with the general audience and I don't really see them abandoning that at all. Star Wars is back in the good graces of most folk and while for fans that is in large part due to Filoni and Favreau leading the creative charge, for the larger base it's the Mando and Grogu dynamic. 

Not to say I don't agree with you and that developing Din's character would be the best route to take, I just don't see anymore than a couple of eps without Grogu. 

3 hours ago, Dark Wader said:

Thing is though the cute things Grogu does is what is resonating with the general audience and I don't really see them abandoning that at all. Star Wars is back in the good graces of most folk and while for fans that is in large part due to Filoni and Favreau leading the creative charge, for the larger base it's the Mando and Grogu dynamic. 

Not to say I don't agree with you and that developing Din's character would be the best route to take, I just don't see anymore than a couple of eps without Grogu. 

I agree it will be tough to retain the audience, which is why I qualified my last post that it depends on the direction of the show.  I don't think Grogu is gone for good, and he will reappear sooner or later.  If ratings dip too low, I think you can bet they will find a way to bring Grogu back sooner than planned.  Also, since they are the same timeframe, I would not be surprised if Grogu shows up on Rangers and Ahsoka. Maybe even Boba. 

The problem with Din, especially with Boba returning, is everyone around him seems to outshine him.  He is badass in action scenes, but they need to do something to make Din as a character stand out.  Up until now, he has basically been a Fett stand in, and hadn't even taken off his helmet but a couple times.   Personally, I would like to see them do something like what the Spartacus series did with the gladiators, when they had their helmets on in battle.  They would sometimes flash to close ups of the face inside the helmet, where you would see the gladiator's face.  You would see their emotions and facial expressions, while they were fighting. Doing that would be able to give Din some face screen time, while still maintaining his code to not remove the helmet.

1 hour ago, Jedigoat said:

More importantly, they should have killed off Moff Gideon and kept Michael Biehn. 

I have no problem keeping Moff Gideon, but yeah, Michael Beihn shouldn't have been killed off.  But then again, that is what he is famous for...being killed off (EG Reece, Corporal Hicks, Johnny Ringo for example.)

13 minutes ago, Darth Krawlie said:

I'm really mad at myself that I didn't realize it was Michael Biehn until I saw his name in the credits. It was so obvious then--there was something tickling the back of my mind about him, but I didn't realize it was Hicks until then.

I recognized his voice before I recognized his face.  

19 hours ago, Zerimar Nyliram said:

The Ewoks thing isn't mental gymnastics on my part: it was confirmed by Leland Chee. For the rest, I guess you and I simply have different attitudes. You see it as exhausting and pointless; I see it as incredibly fun. It's why I've taken such a liking to Star Wars chronicling, and yes, it includes stories I both enjoy and don't enjoy. Like real life, it is ridden with awesomeness and turds.

I can definitely see why you'd feel the way you do, though. Would you care to see things from my perspective, or will you just denounce it as an invalid form of enjoyment? This questions isn't necessarily directed at Tank--I think he's actually fairly reasonable in that regard--but to some of the other people here.

You can believe whatever makes you happy. If that makes things fun for you, there's zero harm in that.o your thing.

My point was, that you say it's for your own fun and enjoyment, but you do feel like it's sacrosanct and you don't seem to handle it well when the "official" canon is changed and contradicts your head canon. I remember this happening when the CW cartoon shifted things away from what the books established, and obviously, what the ST put forth. You get really bent out of shape about it-- and even if you are jovial, it's a thing that bugs you enough that you bring it up on a weekly basis.

I guess my question was, this frustration is a result of your own head-canon. You blame Disney for changing it, but I can't help but feel like if you hadn't made your decisions for yourself, you might not be as angry about it.

16 hours ago, Jedigoat said:

Like I said when Spider-Torchbingo suggested aging Grogu up-- Baby Yoda is part of the DNA of the show, and it will not be the same without him. Obviously, they had to let this quest land. But I don't think he's gone from the show.

Grogu could choose not to be a Jedi (so we can stop assuming Kylo kills him) and go back to Mando.

Somebody else could kidnap him from Luke and Mando goes after him.

He'll be back. My guess is he will be missing from the first half of the season then rejoin Mando, OR, his lack of presence will be part of the plot and they will be reunited at the end of the season (and if they are smart, the end of the show.)

My head-canon is the official EU plus additional stuff that I think can fit. Therefore, I accept as valid all of the EU that was formerly accepted by LucasFilm. The other stuff on top of it is simply my opinion on what can work with it. That's why I was upset about what Filoni was doing and what Kennedy is doing now.

Now, this post is in answer to Tank's post. As such, I do no wish to further derail this conversation and would prefer everyone else simply ignore this post. I can't stop you from replying, of course, but I wanted to make myself clear.

Anyway, please discuss The Mandalorian.

I think the biggest difference between the deep fake and the actual effect just might be lightning, maybe some digital film grain. I dunno, but the eyes and face are more slender in the actual effect like by so slight a measure that it could be intentionally rendered or just the aforementioned lighting thing. The deep fake does look more like Hamill, but maybe that is just because I know it is a deep fake and thus it seems out of place... but again that also could be just lighting and any sorta digital grain being missing from it.

1 hour ago, Spider-Man said:

I think the biggest difference between the deep fake and the actual effect just might be lightning, maybe some digital film grain. I dunno, but the eyes and face are more slender in the actual effect like by so slight a measure that it could be intentionally rendered or just the aforementioned lighting thing. The deep fake does look more like Hamill, but maybe that is just because I know it is a deep fake and thus it seems out of place... but again that also could be just lighting and any sorta digital grain being missing from it.

I am just commenting on the fact some producers drive up the cost under FX.  I Brought JJ up because of his handling of both Star Trek and Star Wars. Between him and Kurtzmn, Star Trek costs tenfold.  He similarly drove the cost up on 2 Star Wars movies. Same with Kurtzman with Picard and Discovery.  Yet you have open source software that costs nothing and does as good a job.  It's just weird to me.  

1 hour ago, Destiny Skywalker said:

Wasn't this supposed to be a 2-season show? And we were all wondering how they will tell the story in 16 episodes? Honestly, I think we maybe get some resolution to the Darksaber next season and they move on to their 5 billion other shows.

I totally forgot that.  But yeah, it feels like that is the end of that arc, and maybe they are creating a new one. I similarly pondered that Season 3 may be Mandalorian mythos heavy. 

I think a deep fake uses a computer (and artist) to map the desired face onto a target face. I think they do this by using multiple photo and video references of the desired face and also mapping “skeletal” / movement points onto the desired face texture and the target face. When the desired face is applied to and matched with the target face using these movement points the desired face will completely “accurately” mimic the movement of the target face.

Whereas a CG animated face would prolly be hand sculpted and painted (prolly also applying photo references), and then hand animated or mocap animated. The latter being, again I think at least, similar to the process I described with movement points.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.