So....The Mandalorian

Filthy Jawa

I think it does two things really well - for the people who don’t like the Luke we got in the ST, they get something closer to what they all originally wanted. The lightsaber wielding Jedi Master in action.

For those of us who are fans of the Luke in the ST, this appearance reinforced the ‘myth, legend’ of Luke and the ego thinking he could teach and be different from the original Jedi.

True-- Luke's heart is what makes him who he is.

But that said, OF COURSE they gave him that Vader/Rouge One type moment. The scenes practically mirror each other. It was 100% intentional.

Vader has been seen countless times and was the face of the franchise, and yet that hallway scene in R1 made everyone flip.

It's because the books, comics, video games, and cartoons have greatly enhanced and blown up the abilities of Jedi. Luke is supposedly the best, Vader the most bad-ass, but because of the effects of the day, you never really see it in the OT. 

Luke had the extra angst in this mix because so many people expected to see this sort of moment with him in the ST. So, while no, it isn't inherent to Luke's character to be a badass, this is a thing everyone has always wanted to see. 

And I never bought for an instance Mace Windu would show. No one in the general audience is going to know who Ezra or Cal Kestis are. Those were horrible theories. IF a Jedi were to show, it kinda had to be Luke. I just didn't think they'd go that deep with it AND be able to surprise us. Kudos to them, that never leaked.

I thought it was cool too, this isn;t a bashing of the scene. And I totally get it was intentional for it to mirror the Vader scene. I just felt when eh does actually show up and take the hood off he is so bland. He shows no affection for the kid at all. He barely acknowledges the others in the room. I just thought maybe he shoulda showed some of that heart. Maybe some line like "this is a motley crew if I ever saw one". Something like that but better, ya know. Or maybe thank them all for helping the kid? 

Like I said earlier, its not even that it didn't seem like Luke, its that it didn't seem like any human being with like normal human emotions and interactions. Maybe its intentional and part of some storyline where Luke has become too detached like the PT era Jedi? 

And listen Im not stupid I get that people want to see Luke fucking Skywalker fight. And I get that the deaging tech is probably not gonna be good enough to hold up over a series or even a movie, so little snapshots of it like this is all we can get. The scene was cool! Im not bashing it or even saying I didn't like it at all. It was great. Just the idea of people crying or loving it so much, its seems off to me.

When you look at the Jedi their downfall was when they were forced or tricked into being overly marshall, warlike and violent. Thats what brought them down. In TPM WIndu says the Jedi can't fight a way, but they end up fighting one. You look at the greatest triumpths Luke has in the movies. One is when he literally throws his weapon away. The other is when he sends a projection of himself, essentially refusing to actually fight. 

And I understand that sometimes you have to fight and making it be droids he destroys I think was done specifically so that Luke wasnt cutting down dozens of people. Which does show an understanding  by Favreau and Filoni of what Im saying here. I still though will stand by what Im saying earlier, that being a bad ass fighter is not what makes Luke great. That seeing him be a badass fighter is not the thing I'd most want to see a Luke from that era do. 

None of this is to put the show down, I was lukewarm on season 1 and earlier this year because I kinda felt that some of the issues from seaosn 1 would pop up. They really didn;t as the season went on. It was tremendous really other than maybe the 2nd episode. I enjoyed the Luke scene, Im glad it was there! I guess Im just one level below where most of the fandom seems to be on it. And thats perfectly fine. 

The Daft Punk like soundtrack with the Terminators made me laugh, but overall it was a good and fitting end to this version of the series. They missed an opportunity not to use the traditional Force theme with Luke, but they were trying to hold off on the reveal even tho every old fan knew who that was at the sight of “one x-wing? We’re saved.” I say old fan, because my two youngest were utterly floored it was Luke and they indicated no qualms with how he looked.

I’m sorta hoping what happens to Grogu and Luke now is left open for a long while, I don’t think CG Luke would hold as a regular... they’d need to cast Sebastian Stan for a regular guest or starring TV show appearance.

Afterthought: My teen daughter pondered about Mandoh not having injuries and so I replied, “Well it knocked off his mustache at least.”  She actually laughed (wonderful moment for me, it gets tough with teens).

3 hours ago, The Choc said:

It was cool to see him kick some ass. But really is what makes Luke a great character, is why any of us love him because he is a great fighter? Whats he do in the appearance thats so great that people are saying they cried or whatever? 

He definitely goes out of his way to make Din feel okay about sending his kid to samurai wizard camp for the summer. 

That pulled at the heartstrings a bit.

6 hours ago, Tank said:

She won't post here, buy you know Nanci's head exploded.

Can confirm.

I pretty much yelled, "Its Luke Fucking Skywalker!" when the X-wing landed. And then when I saw the green lightsaber my head exploded. 

Ok, now that's out of my system. Would have liked Luke's theme, the music wasn't right. It didn't quite sound like Hamill, either, so I'm guessing lifted from past footage. Any idea where they got "Come, little one"? Or the rest of it?

6 hours ago, The Choc said:

Just the idea of people crying or loving it so much, its seems off to me.

Why are you an enemy of other people’s joy?

And as always, I am aware of the irony given how I post/feel about the PT.

I think the thing we have to recognize here, is that the same way Clone Wars and Rebels “fixed” the PT by giving fandom what it actually wanted, these post ROTJ shows are going to do the same thing for the ST.

21 minutes ago, Metropolis said:

So Boba Fett survived the Sarlacc, and Bib Fortuna survived Jabba's sail barge? I kept trying to say that it couldn't be Luke and then i saw the glove and the lightsaber and geeked the hell out. 

Was anyone else disappointed that salacious crumb wasn’t there laughing when Bib got killed?  

I recently watched RotJ and was upset thinking about Crumb dying.  For like 5 seconds I was hyped that my favorite background character would not only be returning, but getting his own spin-off.

10 hours ago, Tank said:

Why are you an enemy of other people’s joy?

Tank, you don't know the power of the Dark Side!  Once you start down that dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny. Choc's more machine, than man now, twisted and evil.  Kidding, of course.:lol:

star wars GIF

Or, am I? 

1 hour ago, The Choc said:

Whats funny is a year ago people were complaining here that I was to relentlessly positive about Star Wars. Now that Im not quite 100% in lock step about Luke cutting down battle droids Im the enemy of peoples joy? LOL. 

It’s not your opinion, it’s the low key implication you always seem to give that people whom you disagree with are in some way deficient.

The “mystery Jedi” theme was awesome though. I see people feeling like that should have been a full on John Williams swell with Luke’s classic theme, but that would have killed the surprise, even if by then we knew it was him.

9 hours ago, Tank said:

It’s not your opinion, it’s the low key implication you always seem to give that people whom you disagree with are in some way deficient.

Not my intention. I feel all  normally do is give good, sound reasoning for my opinions. Maybe not every time but normally. Even you at least partially agreed with my take that what makes Luke so great and beloved is not his fighting ability. 

Either way at least my implications are "low key". People used to come in here and flat out call prequel fans idiots who would like anything with the logo slapped on it. 

But again just to reiterate, I don't think Luke cutting down a couple dozen battle droids is some kind of amazing scene that fans have been dreaming of. I mean it doesn't separate him from other Jedi or anything. If there is one thing we've seen Jedi do alot of it's cutting down battle droids. Good scene, fun scene, entertianing scene. Easy thumbs up, even 2 thumbs up. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.