So....The Mandalorian

Filthy Jawa

Interesting about the post credits scene announcing The Book of Boba Fett (a curious title for a series...), so not really sure where that leaves us for series 3 outside of the Darksaber situation and the restoration of Mandalore I guess?

But that's definitely not the talking point!  

6 hours ago, Tank said:

10 minutes in: Sasha Banks just gave a jetpack assisted DDT to Boba Fett. Holy crap.

30 minutes in: this is not what i was expecting, kinda anti-climactic

45 minutes in:  nerd tears omfg

When the Dark Troopers are lined up outside the bridge, and the line "Close the blast doors"... I hated you in my heart for just a minute. Then I yelled "Bastdoors!" and woke up the cats.

I will add this....it looks like someone at LFL realized there are different Star Wars fans who like different aspects of Star Wars.  Mando (and Ahsoka now BOBF) is basically what I wanted to see out of the ST.  There's stuff coming up for PT character fans (Obi Wan). Then you have Rogue One Prequel I can support, and stuff for ST fans (Rogue Squadron). So glad there is something for everyone, now.  

8 hours ago, Rogue 3 said:

AMAZING!   Oh man - knew I had to watch that at lunchtime to avoid spoilers. 

Same. I stupidly picked up my phone at 6AM, swiped over to my Google News feed, and right at the top was:

"The Mandolorian reveals that *spoiler* is getting their own *spoiler*!"

I proceeded to curse under my breathe as I pulled up the episode and watched it right then and there "at work" over my morning coffee.

I've done this a few times now. Its getting harder to look surprised when I watch it again with the family on Friday nights "for the first time" though.

3 hours ago, Tank said:

Would anyone have accepted a recast? No.

I think there is a bit more support than you think for this route: 

https://www.monstersandcritics.com/tv/luke-skywalker-in-the-mandalorian-why-fans-wanted-sebastian-stan-not-mark-hamill-and-max-lloyd-jones-combo/

Sebastian himself even said he'd be open to it, should he get the blessing of Mark. Considering he is already a known entity in the Disney portfolio, I think that there is a decent chance of something like this happening. 

I mean: look at Ashoka. That character's voice actress is very well loved by the fandom, (at least the part that cares for her character), and they dropped Rosario in at the request of fans.

Why not recast young Luke? There is a lot of story left to tell between ROTJ and the ST. I know Mark is protective of his legacy and the character, but even he is reasonable enough to see the good direction they are taking these stories.

I just didn't risk it and stayed up to watch at midnight.

11 minutes ago, Zathras said:

I will add this....it looks like someone at LFL realized there are different Star Wars fans who like different aspects of Star Wars.  Mando (and Ahsoka now BOBF) is basically what I wanted to see out of the ST.  There's stuff coming up for PT character fans (Obi Wan). Then you have Rogue One Prequel I can support, and stuff for ST fans (Rogue Squadron). So glad there is something for everyone, now.  

I agree with this. Plus, it seems like they are finding (in Filoni and Favreu at least) people whose love for the franchise doesn't come a desire to break everything and make it their own the way Johnson and Abrams did. We're getting prequel stuff and VERy 90s EU stuff, but in ways that don't suck.

1 minute ago, Darth Kid said:

I think there is a bit more support than you think for this route: 

https://www.monstersandcritics.com/tv/luke-skywalker-in-the-mandalorian-why-fans-wanted-sebastian-stan-not-mark-hamill-and-max-lloyd-jones-combo/

Sebastian himself even said he'd be open to it, should he get the blessing of Mark. Considering he is already a known entity in the Disney portfolio, I think that there is a decent chance of something like this happening. 

I mean: look at Ashoka. That character's voice actress is very well loved by the fandom, (at least the part that cares for her character), and they dropped Rosario in at the request of fans.

Why not recast young Luke? There is a lot of story left to tell between ROTJ and the ST. I know Mark is protective of his legacy and the character, but even he is reasonable enough to see the good direction they are taking these stories.

Luke Skywalker isn't Batman or James Bond. I know there's a ton of nerd love over Stan doing it-- but he doesn't look that much like Mark Hamil except in that ONE picture everyone goes to.

Some characters can be recast, some are just too iconic. No one really cares about Chris Pine as Kirk. Kirk will always be Shatner.

I was all for Ashley Eckstein playing Ahsoka (she did for TROS), but now that we know they were giving her a show of her own, I see why they cast somebody who could carry a show for both fans and suits.

I wouldn't mind seeing a little more of Young Luke, but I don't think he needs a series. His story is done by and large, and cameos like this should be the most we see of him. If it is left to that, I am just fin with it being equal parts Mark Hamil and CG.

29 minutes ago, Tank said:

I just didn't risk it and stayed up to watch at midnight.

I agree with this. Plus, it seems like they are finding (in Filoni and Favreu at least) people whose love for the franchise doesn't come a desire to break everything and make it their own the way Johnson and Abrams did. We're getting prequel stuff and VERy 90s EU stuff, but in ways that don't suck.

Well that, and let's face it, Filoni is the longest serving writer (TCW, Rebels, Mando), and Favreau one of the strongest writers since the OT, so these guys are veteran writers who know the source material, canon, new EU and legends EU.

I am happy with the direction with Mando, and hope BOBF, Rangers, and Ahsoka follow suit and keep the momentum going.

Ill talk about the content of the episode overall before gettng into the 2 big things that everyone will be talking about.

I thought the episode was great. Really good action, alot of tension. Esposito was awesome in this episode. I love the Imperial pilots talk about how millions died on the Death Star. Just great stuff. Overall the show really came into it's own this season and the 2nd season was loads better than the first. Can't ask for more than that.

Now onto the other stuff.

1-A Boba Fett show or movie is pretty much the very last thing I'd have wanted and that hasn't changed. I made a list in the other thread about how excited I am for each of the new shows announced and "The Book of Boba Fett" would be easily last among the live action. Having said that a show set in the criminal underworld could be good. I'll go in with an open mind.

2-Luke. Once they laid out the idea of a Jedi responding to Grogu I think alot of us felt it probably had to be a known character. Woulda been rough to just have some random guy or girl in a brown robe show up. With that in mind the options seemed to be Luke Skywalker, Mace Windu or Ezra Bridger. So it's not shocking Luke showed up. It was cool to see Luke at sort of the height of his powers cut through those robots. However once he showed up and took off his hood it seemed odd to me. He seemed like so detached from the situation.  Basically like a person who had zero personality.. If thats how he acted around his students its no wonder a bunch of them turned on him. I have no problem with Luke showing up and kicking some ass and taking the baby he just didn't seem like Luke. In fact he didn't seem like anyone, Just seemed like an empty de-aged person. Luckily Artoo showed up to inject some charm into the scene. 

This episode gave me all the feels. Just. Every feel. The last bit was super confusing for the little one. He kept popping in and out of the room while the 3 of us kept shouting out "Is that Luke?", "It has to be Luke!", "It can't be Luke!", "How is that NOT Luke!?", "OMG IT'S LUKE!!", "LUKE!!", "HOLY SHIT LUKE!" Poor kid. 

And I think my 12 yo's SW knowledge might have actually surpassed my own now. But then again, he did just ask me if I thought "the audiobook for Boba will be released at the same time as the regular one". :green:

This was fantastic Star Wars. I cried a few times. I cried when my husband pointed out that Grogu's rescue mission was almost all female. Then I cried more when my son said it just made sense because those women were like the 4 best fighters and gunmen in the show. On Wednesday I let Noah borrow a Vader ugly Christmas sweater I have so he could wear it to his scout meeting/party. Trevor was concerned that the other scouts might comment on him wearing a women's sweater, but I reminded him that it was a men's sweater from the mens department because when I bought it several years ago, they didn't really make SW clothing for women. Fast forward a few years my tween doesn't even flinch at the idea that women should be the heavy in a space rescue mission in SW. Just...representation matters. I can only imagine how bipoc women feel after that one. 

None of this is to diminish the show or the season, I thought it was great. Luke's apperance reminded me of the Vader scene at the end of Rogue One, which was great. It was cool to see him kick some ass. But really is what makes Luke a great character, is why any of us love him because he is a great fighter? Whats he do in the appearance thats so great that people are saying they cried or whatever? 

Even if you hate the ST and hate how Luke is used, thats all fine and a debate for (many, many, many) other threads. But just in this appearance what does he do that is so great? He kicks some ass, but as I said I don't think anyone would say they love Luke cause of his ability to fight.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.