So....The Mandalorian

Filthy Jawa

For 30 minutes they really went all out and wasn't expecting this much but it was more premium Star Wars. This show has easily become the best live action we've had since the originals and this one solidifies that. 

I wasn't happy they brought back Fett but I am happy they actually made him live up to the "cool" reputation for once. That said, anyone else find something off about Morrison's performance? It wasn't bad, just not what I was expecting. 

From the last scene I'm guessing that means Grogou was basically in a coma for most of the OT period? 

3 hours ago, Dark Wader said:

For 30 minutes they really went all out and wasn't expecting this much but it was more premium Star Wars. This show has easily become the best live action we've had since the originals and this one solidifies that. 

I wasn't happy they brought back Fett but I am happy they actually made him live up to the "cool" reputation for once. That said, anyone else find something off about Morrison's performance? It wasn't bad, just not what I was expecting. 

From the last scene I'm guessing that means Grogou was basically in a coma for most of the OT period? 

***Spoilers for Chapter 14***

He definitely put on a little weight since he last donned the armor. That was about the only thing that seemed "off" to me. Realistic, but off none-the-less. I'm glad they brought him back though, like you mentioned, I think he'll finally have a chance to live up to his previously unwarranted (live-action) reputation.

Regarding Grogu, I don't know if he was in a full-on coma or not, but I think that, at a minimum, he was likely kept sedated in some way in order to avoid little outbursts like the one we saw in this episode.

Also, I guess that puts an end to the running bit where the Razor Crest gets beat up in every episode. Glad to see the Slave I back in action. That was certainly some OG fan service right there. Very much a Highlander moment for famed bounty hunter ships. Pretty sure the Slave I got a quickening.

The cynic in me wants to say that this episode was peak 90s Star Wars! Everything you'd have seen in Shadows of the Empire and Dark Forces... 

But at the same time, in that era when younger me heard there was going to be NEW Star Wars, this season of Mando would have been the perfect product to satisfy me at that time. Aside from the intense feels I felt seeing TFA the first time, this is more or less the proper way to continue Star Wars post OT. More than the PT or ST managed.

I am enjoying it now, don't get me wrong-- I just feel a few twangs of fan wank recoil. It's an awful lot like early 2000s SW fan films... but with a budget. Then again, this episode was directed by Robert Rodriguez, and all of his movies feel like fan films.

Again though-- don't get me wrong. I loved this. While being a Boba Fett mark, I still never liked the idea he survived the Sarlacc. I DEFINITELY didn't like Temura's voice being added to Fett in the SE, and I thought Jango was a joke.

This episode managed to redeem Jango's PT awfulness, give Fett the "cool" rep that he always had despite nothing onscreen proving it, and also legitimize Temura as Fett. I think that was 100% Favreu's plan with this episode, and he managed to stick that landing. Moving ahead, they look to be redeeming Fett as well.

I feel like we are certainly moving toward a Seven Samurai style showdown for the final with Mando, Cara Dune, Boba Fett, Fennec Shan, Ahsoka, and Bo Katan going after Gideon, facing Dark Troopers and possibly Sith clones, while at the same time liberating Mandalore. I'm all aboard for that. Part of me kinda wants to see Boba take the Darksaber... but it belongs to Bo.

5 hours ago, Darth Kid said:

Regarding Grogu, I don't know if he was in a full-on coma or not, but I think that, at a minimum, he was likely kept sedated in some way in order to avoid little outbursts like the one we saw in this episode.

Yeah - i thought the Moff said ‘Are you ready to go back for a long sleep’ but didn’t catch it properly. 

5 minutes ago, Tank said:

I'm all aboard for that. Part of me kinda wants to see Boba take the Darksaber... but it belongs to Bo.

Nah, Din will be the one who ends up with it. Probably at the end of the series but Bo has had her shot with it. 

11 minutes ago, Tank said:

I am enjoying it now, don't get me wrong-- I just feel a few twangs of fan wank recoil. It's an awful lot like early 2000s SW fan films... but with a budget.

There have been a fair few moments I have felt that in this second series - throwing in a line or a sound effect just for the sake of a knowing wink to the fans.  Too many times I was starting to think.

Having said that (sound the “hypocrite” alert!), I didn’t mind today’s one with the simple man making his way in the universe - that did make me smile! 

2 hours ago, Tank said:

I feel like we are certainly moving toward a Seven Samurai style showdown for the final with Mando, Cara Dune, Boba Fett, Fennec Shan, Ahsoka, and Bo Katan going after Gideon [...]

This seems likely, but I think it's too early for it. Also, it would feel odd to me if we got Cara, but not Greef or if we got Bo, but not her clan. 

I also think that if Ashoka gets brought into the mix, there has to be a much bigger enemy than just some fancy droids.

By bringing in a Jedi, they have the same problem they had when they brought Thrawn to Rebels. Strong character have to: A) Be constantly hamstrung in some way; or B) Have a worthy opponent.

Also, they are walking a fine line here by bringing so many beloved characters into this show. If they get too much screen time, or they save the day too frequently, its no longer about Din. I hope characters like Ashoka, Bo, Boba, and others will be used sparingly. 

This week was great, definitely no side quest here. I don't in general like the idea of Fett being back, in fact its dumb, but as been pointed out if you bring him back at least make him cool and they certainly did that.  Also pretty cool that they made Boba a friend rather than an enemy. Didn't see that coming. 

Its funny this show still does so much that I dislike on principle but as the show goes on, and in my opinion has improved, those things just don't matter. It's similar to The Force Awakens. If you had asked me a week before that movie to list things I hope we don't see the movie did like a dozen of those thing. At the end of the day it didn't matter though. Some of those things I was just wrong about and the others things which I still didn't like just didn't really matter compared to what the movie did so well.

Its the same here. I still think its dumb Boba Fett is alive but hell he contributed to a really  bad ass fight scene. Mando himself has come out of his shell a bit, even little things liek when he says "we'll have to finish the trip with the windows down", that just adds alot. And then I mean if you don't see that image of litle Grogu in those teency weency little hand cuffs after being stunned as the most harrowing image in all of Star Wars then you just have no heart. 

I thought the episode was fun but felt that at the same time it brought back the very worst aspects of season one and the EU. The EU, which in full personal opinion disclosure transparency and other buzzwords, all sucked, all like every part of it.

Anyway, it was annoying to see Mando turn back into Mandoh. How many times you gonna walk into that bubble, dumbass? Maybe if you stood your ground next to Grogu then you could have honorably lost Grogu in like an Alamo style rather than through total incompetence.

I’m a little tired of the magic metal too. Like, every Mandalorian has armor and weapons made of it, but no one thought to maybe make their ships out of it? It’s rare, you say? Again... every Mandalorian armor? No? Just most? Maybe if Mandalorians learned to fire from cover they wouldn’t need to have magic armor so they can just stand there like a kid pretending they are Superman in a nerf war. At this point Princess Leia in her dress snatching weapons from Han and Luke feels like... no, in fact is, a far better warrior then them. At the very least can we see Mandoh ice his shoulder up once and a while. Getting some serious Batman Always Wins fan wank feels with this literal plot armor. Even Luke spent time in a diaper while floating in jell-O. How many times can anyone watch Mandoh get shot a zillion times before there is zero danger ever? His ship blew up though this time, you say? You mean like every episode thereabouts? Mandoh! We’re totally in the “Kitt, hit the turbo boost.” levels of cheese here.

It was also neat to see Boba Fett be a badass... it’s almost like this was a completely and utterly different character from prior installments. [blank stare] ;-)

It’s pretty cool that Cara has become Bravestarr, I hope they give her a cool hat ;-) so that they can sell that badge as a set. Regardless my kids would totally wear that thing around.

But again, yay, some of the more fun Star Wars around.

P.S. The Dark Saber is always dumb.

P.S.The Second: My chrysalis ‘just some shit flung on the wall’ idea was created with this level of EU Star Warsian cheese in mind. I love Star Wars, but it’s pretty dumb mostly. Anyway, excited for next week. lol My kids love this more than gaming, which is astounding for them.

Loved this episode!  More please! Finally, Fett lives up to his name on screen as an ultimate badass, beer belly notwithstanding.  Or was it just because he had a cloak on underneath the armor? 

And YES, I totally buy that Fett survived the Sarlacc!  Even in ROTJ, it's stated it takes years (not sure if I buy 1000 years, but certainly a long time), and with the tech we saw in this episode, and scars to show for it, I am all in on seeing how Fett survived eventually.  However, who is really buying he is going to help Mando for altruistic reasons?  I don't!  I sense a double cross coming up soon. Poor Grogu!  Donor?  Is Moff Gideon going to get a m-count transplant?  It was never lost on me that his costume is reminiscent of Darth Vader.  Is he force sensitive, and needs more force juice?

I loved how Tython resembles old real-world ruins, instead of looking like something that was just abandoned a few years ago. I know some people were expecting a Jedi temple, but after 20,000 years or whatever it is, THAT is what it SHOULD look like: Stone Henge.

They did say that about the security system when they were about to break in, I just assumed it was the same case for the scanner.

Great episode though. The sit down with Burr and the imperial officer was well done. 

Though for someone who never shows his face, Mando is surprisingly well groomed. 

I liked Boba using the seismic charge to get rid of the two TIE fighters. It's cool to see how this series is referring to and using things and characters from all three trilogies (as well as other material such as Clone Wars).

I also enjoyed the line about TPS reports. Not sure if that was a shout out to Office Space, but it seems pretty likely.

On 12/11/2020 at 7:58 PM, Dark Wader said:

And Bill Burr kills the Night King. 

This should be canon in GOT. Way better ending than that multi-million dollar blacked out nightmare of a season finale arc they did.

On 12/11/2020 at 8:03 PM, Darth Wicket said:

I also enjoyed the line about TPS reports. Not sure if that was a shout out to Office Space, but it seems pretty likely.

I almost spit out my drink when he said this.

On 12/11/2020 at 6:19 PM, Tank said:

Boba took the time to repaint his armor!

Yeah, but I guess he couldn't splurg and get enough matching paint for the ship. That's okay. I'm sure Mando will be repainting it anyway once Boba dies in the finale and Mando turns it into the Razor Crest II.

On 12/11/2020 at 5:14 PM, The Choc said:

I liked it too, that was really good. Plus I liked  Burr's little talk about good, evil, sleeping at night while on the transport. 

Yeah, the character development in this one really made the episode. I was very impressed. It didn't feel like we were missing out at all by not having our Baby Yoda fix.

On 12/11/2020 at 5:11 PM, Dark Wader said:

Great episode though. The sit down with Burr and the imperial officer was well done. 

Absolutely. Bill Burr definitely exceeded my expectations of his acting prowess here. This was easily my favorite part of the episode.

On 12/11/2020 at 5:06 PM, Dark Wader said:

I thought they said at the start the scanner only picks up people recognised by the New Republic or something, which is why Mando was fine.

Lame way to get around it, but Star Wars. 

Yeah, this was a pretty transparent plot tool used to get him to take off his helmet. The entirety of Star Wars is basically just one huge case study on the dos-and-don'ts of enterprise information security. I don't know who architects the empire's IT systems, but they need to be force choked.

Yeah, jaw was on the floor at the end there. Never thought they’d do that but loved that they did. I was just excited to see a certain droid as well. . . Forever the one, true hero of the franchise. 

The last bit with Grogou and Mando was incredibly touching and I wonder what season three will hold. . . Will they time skip ahead, pick up straight after and develop the confrontation between Bo and Mando. . .

I just can’t imagine Grogou still won’t be a heavy part of the show moving forward, so interested to see how it progresses. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.