So....The Mandalorian

Filthy Jawa

13 hours ago, Darth Wicket said:

Yeah, what a hypocrite Yoda is.

Also, did anyone catch what looked like a Loth-cat during this episode? With that and mention of Thrawn, I think the people who are predicting Ezra's return are correct. He may be the next Jedi we see.

I don’t know what the EU/cartoons came up with, but there’s nothing in the movies that says Jedi can’t screw everything that moves, just that they can’t form attachments. 

It’s plausible that the entire attachment thing was about viewing relationships and commitments as ownerships. That viewing relationships as ownerships leads to deep emotional conflicts when the people you see as yours don’t conform to your idea of what they are supposed to be for you or that they simply aren’t there how you feel they should be.

It could be seen that Anakin exhibits love as ownership in the prequels, which could also be ironically reinforced by him being a slave originally. Perhaps this can be reinforced again by Anakin showing us that he refuses to except the fate of anyone he loves, they can’t die or leave because he loves (owns) them, they’re his. Padme’s final declaration of love to Anakin, about not being able to follow him, can be seen as displaying the concept that while you love someone you can’t control them and that you might not be able to be with them regardless of how you feel. Which is a concept so alien to Anakin that when he is confronted with it he is repulsed and immediately reacts with the action to kill Padme. An action which appears to further display Anakin’s view of love as ownership, if you’re not mine then you won’t exist.

Random prediction: based on the beskar reveal from the latest episode, the dark saber can cut through beskar like a hot knife through butter, and that is why those that hold it can lead Mandalore. It isn't just because the first Mandalorian/Jedi made it.

5 hours ago, Fozzie said:

I don’t know what the EU/cartoons came up with, but there’s nothing in the movies that says Jedi can’t screw everything that moves, just that they can’t form attachments. 

The canonical novel "Master and Apprentice" goes into this exact topic in some detail.

Also, there is some precedence in Legends to support your opinions on this. Ki-Adi-Mundi was temporarily sent back to his home world after becoming a Jedi and took on five wives to help repopulate his endangered species. He was instructed not to form any attachments while doing his duty to please that booty though.

With that precedence in mind: since we've only ever see two adults of Yoda's species in canon, it isn't hard to imagine that Yoda and Yaddle bumped uglies. For a species that can live close to a millennia, you would think we would have seen more than two if they weren't endangered.

On the other hand, Grogu was born the same year as Anakin. That's about eight years before the Battle of Naboo. Yaddle stepped down sometime after that battle, but that would mean she was likely on the council at the time of Grogu's birth. That would have made it difficult, but not impossible, to hide.

There is also the logistical problem of avoiding attachment. How would a mother and father, two Jedi council members, go about avoiding attachment to an offspring-youngling living in their temple? Who cared for this child during its infancy?

These problems can certainly all be explained away, it just makes you wonder if it wouldn't be easier to have had Yoda hook up with a non-Jedi or if it wouldn't be easier for them to be unrelated.

I don't think the Jedi have casual sex. It just doesn't sit right with me. Yes, we have exceptions where Jedi had families, but it always had do with with life. Sexual gratification for the sake of itself seems rather selfish and not at all in line with Jedi principles.

Then again, that's just my take on it.

7 hours ago, Agnostej said:

Random prediction: based on the beskar reveal from the latest episode, the dark saber can cut through beskar like a hot knife through butter, and that is why those that hold it can lead Mandalore. It isn't just because the first Mandalorian/Jedi made it.

Good prediction, me!

(Sorry, just remembered my actual account's credentials)

Anyone else think it' going to be Mace Windu who saved Grogu? I mean unless it's going to have been some random, unknown Jedi I don't see many candidates. Obi Wan and Yoda were both not on Coruscant. If Windu surivived his fall he would have known what was likely coming from Sidious and Anakin and could have ran to the Temple to try to help but got there too late but was still able to get little Grogu out? I don't love the idea of characters who clearly were meant to be dead not being dead but that cat is way way out of the bag at this point.

Plus Sam Jackson has a long association with Disney through Marvel. 

Remember above when I said when I said they could afford Mark Hamil? 
They cannot afford Jackson. He is very well known for having cutthroat agents and he expects to get paid. Even if I’m not a fan of the idea, Ezra is more likely than Windu.

If they are going to keep tying the show and characters into events and characters from the movies they are going to end up disappointing people if they don't bring in those characters liek Mace or Luke because they can't afford them. 

In the last 2 weeks they've tied this show to Anakin's attack on the Jedi Temple, a huge event in the overall storyline. Also most likely to how Palpatine came back and his creation of Snoke. If they continue to go down these paths it will be difficult to not use some of the characters who were possibly involved in those events.

Im not saying I'd have a big problem because I'd rather the show stay more self contained. Just if they are going to tie this show into these huge galactic events its going ot be a tough balance if they don't use some of those charatcers

I would rather have someone like Jocasta Nu (or even some random Jedi) be the one who helped Grogu rather than someone like Windu who was supposed to be dead. I was never a fan of bringing back Maul or the Emperor. IMO, the only character who made any sense bringing back is Threepio after he was blasted to bits by a stormtrooper in Cloud City. :D

6 minutes ago, The Choc said:

If they are going to keep tying the show and characters into events and characters from the movies they are going to end up disappointing people

I haven't seen any episodes of The Mandalorian yet, was intending to get access to it and catch up at some point but it's evidently not very high on my priorities, but my interest has gone down a bit since I found out that BY was smuggled out of the Jedi Temple

I know this sort of thing really pushes some fans' buttons, but it's meh for me

1 hour ago, Tank said:

Remember above when I said when I said they could afford Mark Hamil? 
They cannot afford Jackson. He is very well known for having cutthroat agents and he expects to get paid. Even if I’m not a fan of the idea, Ezra is more likely than Windu.

I'm sure they can afford Yoda!

While The Mandalorian’s basic pitch was that it is non-Saga characters in a removed part of the galaxy, it’s quickly proven itself to be the favorite SW for a lot of people. After the derision the ST caused, and the fact ppl loved all the Easter eggs in S1, it’s no surprise that they are bringing it closer to the saga.

It’s the current flagship product, and Dave Filoni has already been at the center of bridging EU material with the movies. I think it’s going to just become more and more integrated.

2 hours ago, The Choc said:

Anyone else think it' going to be Mace Windu who saved Grogu? I mean unless it's going to have been some random, unknown Jedi I don't see many candidates. Obi Wan and Yoda were both not on Coruscant. If Windu surivived his fall he would have known what was likely coming from Sidious and Anakin and could have ran to the Temple to try to help but got there too late but was still able to get little Grogu out? I don't love the idea of characters who clearly were meant to be dead not being dead but that cat is way way out of the bag at this point.

Plus Sam Jackson has a long association with Disney through Marvel. 

1 hour ago, The Choc said:

Ezra could be the Jedi who reaches out to him or whatever at the Temple but he cant be the Jedi who smuggled the baby out of the Temple. It makes no sense timeline wise. 

Exactly.  Ezra was Rebels era, which is just before ANH.  Grogu must have been spirited away during the events of ROTS.  If Grogu is related to Yoda (either as family, or adopted) I think it is most likely Yoda to either helped him escape, or someone Yoda would trust to do it.  Maybe Yaddle, and something happened to her in between ROTS and Mando. Or, maybe they will leave room for a new jedi, that will appear?

11 minutes ago, Tank said:

While The Mandalorian’s basic pitch was that it is non-Saga characters in a removed part of the galaxy, it’s quickly proven itself to be the favorite SW for a lot of people. After the derision the ST caused, and the fact ppl loved all the Easter eggs in S1, it’s no surprise that they are bringing it closer to the saga.

It’s the current flagship product, and Dave Filoni has already been at the center of bridging EU material with the movies. I think it’s going to just become more and more integrated.

You mean they are giving fans what they actually want, instead of subverting expectations?  Those MONSTERS!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.