So....The Mandalorian

Filthy Jawa

I don't think its a matter of being impatient. More just being honest and taking it as it comes. If an episode isn't entertaining then its not. If at the beginning of an episode Mando is seeking to bring the frog lady home and meet fellow Mandalorians and then at the end thats the exact same situation then at least make that 30-40 minutes entertaining on its own. I don't think its fair to say "well its going to get better so just accept the weak episodes now". 

Like I said, its not being impatient. If the show was more serialized and the story moved forward in some slow episodes you could way "they are moving the pieces on the board, be patient". Thats not what happens in some of these episodes though. If it starts "going somewhere" as you put it and the 2nd part of this season is awesome I will say "wow this week was great, this week was just what I wanted..." but that won't change the fact that epsiodes that have already happened haven't been very good. 

I'm not saying accept it-- I personally hate it when people tell me to let a show hit its stride. With so much TV out there, if I'm not sold 15 minutes into a pilot, I will bail.

I'm just pointing out that Mandalorian isn't making an unintentional mistake. They chose to go this route, but I see the signs that says they will be correcting course. If it doesn't work for you, then it doesn't work for you. You can even say you think they are making a mistake-- that's totally cool.

I'm just speaking to the difference between them straight up screwing up, versus you not liking what they've chosen to do. It's the same end result on your end of course, I just think it's worth noting they are being intentional.

Im not saying its not intentional. More just "some episodes are good and some aren't". Which is true of most shows. Very few shows leave you really satisfied after every week. Those are the great shows. I don't think Im even being negative. Two of the three this season have been very good. Most people here would agree with that. I just find that when you have an entire episode that is basically he crashes on a planet and escapes from a spider, thats just a waste. To get back to the way TV used to be vs how it is now: it feels like an episode of tv from the 80s or 90s where the season had to be 22 episodes and they had to fill a few in with crap. Thats a problem thats been pretty much eradicated by streaming services no caring how many episodes and the fact that episodes don't have to be an exact length to fit into an hour window with commercials. Mandalorian shouldn't have that issue. The whole season is gonna be what? 5 hours long? based on the length of most episodes. Five and a half hours?  If you have to give us filler episodes when only giving us that little actual run time, then your story is thin. 

And I have no problem if they want to keep the basic premise of adventure of the week tied together by a vague overall arch going forward. Thats perfectly fine. Just saying that they have to then make sure those adventures are good on their own. Which to this point is hit or miss. 

Really? I thought it did exactly what you were complaining about. It was a side quest, with the button tying into the over-arching plot. We ended him heading for Ahsoka, only to stop off elsewhere.

I liked it, but I liked last week better, and I was blue-balled on the Ahsoka, even though I knew they were going to do that.

15 hours ago, Tank said:

Really? I thought it did exactly what you were complaining about. It was a side quest, with the button tying into the over-arching plot. We ended him heading for Ahsoka, only to stop off elsewhere.

I liked it, but I liked last week better, and I was blue-balled on the Ahsoka, even though I knew they were going to do that.

I don't have a problem with the adventure of the week format. All I said was that if they are going to do that then the adventure better be fun and exciting on it's own. This weeks was. The chase from the base to the settlement was pretty great.

We also got a tad bit more from Mando himself. HIs interactions with Baby Yoda were some of the best and most humanizing Mando has had thus far.

Lastly it was cool to get a bit more into Moff Gideon's operation. 

On 11/20/2020 at 11:31 PM, Dark Wader said:

I think last weeks was better as a whole but the chase scene with the speeders and the TIE onwards was premium Star Wars. 

I agree. That felt like Star Wars, moreso than a lot of Episodes 7-9.

Are we getting the Stoke backstory here? Some sort of midichlorian transplant clone that was partially successful? 

7 hours ago, Destiny Skywalker said:

I agree. That felt like Star Wars, moreso than a lot of Episodes 7-9.

Are we getting the Stoke backstory here? Some sort of midichlorian transplant clone that was partially successful? 

This seems to be the obvious conclusion. The only thing I'd throw in is I don't think this "Baby Yoda" storyline will end with the Imperials getting hold of the child and doing further experiments on him. Maybe they fail and thats why Snoke is kind of decrepit and Palpatine cant come back fully until the wonderously convienent "force diad" in Episode IX.

Thats the other possibility and the one I greatly prefer. I don;t like the idea of things being made "backwards compatible" and one movie or tv show or whatever depending on another to fill in gaps to start with. Plus a group of force powerful bad guys would be just fun for the action of the show. 

What could be kinda cool is if what Tank is saying is something that gets shifted kinda to a possible Ahsoka spin off show. What if she has been training a few students, maybe Ezra turns up and they have to deal with this group of force powerful bad guys in the outer rim while the Republic buries their head in the sand?

I know it would be the biggest fan wank of all times-- but I wouldn't mind seeing Luke in this era, with the beginnings of the new Jedi, and a young Ben in the mix. At this point with deep fake being what it is, we know it's possible,. We already got the flashback in TROS with Luke and LEia post ROTJ (honestly, my favorite bit of the movie).

I don't know that any of this would fit the tone and aesthetic of Mandalorian, but they are clearly setting up other shows, even if they are one-offs.

Maybe very rare appearances from Luke. He allows his students to go and work with Ahsoka while he stays back and tries to come up with his ideas for exactly what his Jedi Order will be? We could just get a recast Ben and the other students. Establish the rivalry between Ben and his friends (the future Knights of Ren) and the other students. 

Hammill is a voice actor, have him give orders and communications over comms then very rare appearances. Once or twice a season. 

I don;t love the idea of the shared universe and tying everything together but if they are gonna do it, and clearly thats what they are doing, then may as well really do it. 

I haven’t watched any of season 2, but if Mando is seeking the Jedi, it would make sense to have, ya know, some kind of appearance or mention of the current Jedi.

But how many current Jedi exist? From what I recall, The Mandalorian occurs about 4-6 years after the end of Return of the Jedi. Ben Solo was born just after ROTJ, so that would make him still a very young child. Has Luke even really starting building his academy just yet? Furthermore, the galaxy is a big place. Perhaps some have not even seen a Jedi (since the majority of them were wiped out and it would take Luke some time to restore the Jedi Order).

I also recall something in an earlier episode of The Mandalorian where the Jedi were not really known to some of the characters. I think it was when The Child used the Force and Mando did not really undertsand what was going on. BTW, I love how they casually slipped the term "M-count" into this last episode. :D

I did NOT like M-Count...

As for Jedi, like I said, this era probably lines up with the Luke and Leia training flashback, so you maybe have them. We have Ahsoka. Hopefully we’ll get a good story as to where she was during the OT, (which may lead us to Ezra).

Beyond that, they can play pretty loose with Luke’s Jedi Order. For all we know he finds and trains a class before the ones that Ben kills. They could have existed for some time before Kylo Ren hunted them down.

Feloni has been making secret Jedi characters for awhile now, they could certainly find a way in this era.

23 hours ago, Tank said:

I know it would be the biggest fan wank of all times-- but I wouldn't mind seeing Luke in this era, with the beginnings of the new Jedi, and a young Ben in the mix. At this point with deep fake being what it is, we know it's possible,. We already got the flashback in TROS with Luke and LEia post ROTJ (honestly, my favorite bit of the movie).

I don't know that any of this would fit the tone and aesthetic of Mandalorian, but they are clearly setting up other shows, even if they are one-offs.

I'd like to see Luke show up at some point, too. Bonus if the ST is not referenced at all. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.