So....The Mandalorian

Filthy Jawa

Weird-- in my timeline it was pretty clear it was mostly stunt performers in S1 (one guy for big stunts, one for gunplay), and Pascal did the helmet off stuff and a few close ups throughout the season.

I just read that he did more in S2 and was into it?

Well clearly there is multiple stories going on.  I am in n way saying what I heard is fact at all, just the internet rumor I heard.  But like Brando said, we will know when S2 comes out.  It is weird that Tank heard the exact opposite of what I did.  

Everything I've heard, in interviews, and even in the Gallery series, points to Pascal only ever being in the suit maybe once during S1, and that was for the helmet off face reveal. Every other time, it was either John Wayne's grand-son for the general walking and gunplay, and Lateef Crowder for the leaping, jumping, diving and hand-to-hand combat.

For most of the episode I was mostly arrogant thinking I'd guessed it right until that last shot. I guess it's nice they're trying to be consistent with the EU but I wish they would have just gone all in one way or the other.

I liked it, good opener. Thought it was funny that the first half of the episode sometimes looked like a cheap fan film, then the second half was an IMAX blockbuster. 

15 hours ago, Tank said:

I WAS RIGHT ABOUT YOU KNOW WHO, and at the same time they played to terrible fan theory borrowed from the EU some clung to.

I should write TV.

That episode was FULL OF EU (video game, IE Bounty Hunter, KOTOR, Jedi Knight) stuff, though.   Krayt Dragon, Dragon Pearl, a Mandalorian fighting said Krayt Dragon.  

The episode was entertaining enough although it certainly was alot like the episode last year where Mando and the girl save that other village from bandits. 

I just feel like this, kind of like TROS, is far far too concerned with like call backs and such. Its like "hey remember how Bobas jet pack went nuts in ROTJ..." "hey memba that huge skeleton in ANH in the desert...."

And there is nothing wrong with that but it sometimes feel like that is all Star Wars is trying to be any more. And thats disappointing. 

I feel that too sometimes. Mando was its best when it was just being its own thing. Easter eggs are fine, the occasional reference is good-- but constant winks and nudges saying HEY WE'RE STAR WARS TOO was one thing that made the PT suck.

As for the episode feeling similar-- I was okay with that. It's no secret they are leaning heavy into Western tropes with this. The gunslinger helping regular folk is such a common one.

I agree, I enjoyed the episode. Big thumbs up. I actually liked it the first 2/3 before they went to kill the monster more, it really got that feel of a Western down. Great job.

As for the constant call backs and stuff, I don't even get any of them that have to do with the EU. I had no idea the dragon was a thing so ofcourse had no idea what the pearl was.  I guess considering I don't like all the call backs this is a good thing.

One last thought, Ive been critical of when this show and Star Wars in general tries too hard to build cultures. I felt the whole "this is the way" and getting into Mando culture fell flat in season 1. However I really liked how they made the Tusken language a sort of combo of sounds and hand signals. I thought that really worked well. I have no idea if thats been established in other media but it was cool here.

First episode. Solid. 

Amy Sedaris! Love the pit droids. Very pointedly showing GL how to include slapstick In SW without it being insulting  

R5 with the careful show of the scorch marks from his blow-out.

Recognized Olyphant almost before he even said anything. Good gag casting. 

Maybe playing a little too much of the fan-service game, but I still liked the episode overall.

Temuera!!!!

On 11/10/2020 at 2:52 PM, Tank said:

How long before Dave Filoni's character gets a comic book

Probably not long, I've already seen theories on Reddit on his background.

Three for three so far I think. Geeked out a fair bit seeing Katee Sackhoff "reprising". I was a bit sad to see Titus Welliver bow out so early though - never thought of him in a Star Wars role and it was perfect casting.

Did they get a bigger budget this season? Most of the FX has been movie quality. 

1st episode. "Well, if the Emperor can survive, why not him too?" Sigh. On the whole, a good episode even if Tremor was strong in this one.

2nd episode. "I really hope this is a teeny-tiny graveyard and not a nest. Nope, a nest." Look, I admit, I'm one of those who was cringing about the egg eating, even if I did not complain online about it (this one time here now excepted) and yes they are unfertilised and equivalent of IRL eating of chicken eggs but come on. Looking at the mother doting on them like that and then the story playing the child eating them as comedic was...ugh.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.