So....The Mandalorian

Filthy Jawa

On 9/18/2020 at 9:48 AM, Filthy Jawa said:

The boat felt weird to me. It jumped out and made me think about if there should be boats in SW. I'm not saying I don't like it, it just feels like the wrong tech in this galaxy. But I get it. 

...and I'm sure one of you beautiful beautiful nerds will point out all the other times there have been boats in SW. 

I guess it depends on the level of tech in general, on whatever planet they are on. Here on Earth, you can find horse-drawn buggies and rickshaws next to cars and lorries on the same roads. Seems like a boat wouldn't be nearly as unbelievable in Star Wars as space horses galloping around on top of a spaceship that could simply be tilted 15°.

On 9/25/2020 at 7:37 AM, Jedigoat said:

I suppose if you have things that fly, why use a boat?  Maybe the tech isn't as high on that planet. 

This is the logic that broke me with the last TNG cast Trek movie. You got transporters AND shuttles, but we need a dune buggy chase?

1 hour ago, Tank said:

This is the logic that broke me with the last TNG cast Trek movie. You got transporters AND shuttles, but we need a dune buggy chase?

Haven't seen it.  I mean, you could easily write the scene to where there are no other transportation methods.  But if that's chosen over other options, then what the eff?!

• 3 weeks later...

I try to think of it like this...

Think about the extreme differences in technology here on Earth from culture to culture.  There is technology that is seemingly outdated but still has its purposes.  QWERTY keyboards, books, cash, message boards are all outdated but have hidden utility that is unknown to an observer unfamiliar with the technology.  I mean stuff like tanning beds still exist.  There are still places that don't have running water or electricity or think voting Donald Trump is a good idea.  

We don't know the technology/ technologies behind why boats exists.  

When Bruce Banner Hulks up, why do his pants still stay on?

I think for me it wasn't that there's a range of technology in the galaxy, obviously we've seen that since ROTJ.  It's that they chose a mode of transportation exactly like something we have here on Earth now. I don't think we've seen that. 

(preparing to get schooled)

Riding animals? I guess you can argue that walking around Is the same in SW too, for that matter. 

I'm not trying to dig in too hard, but in a cinematic universe where landspeeders=cars, spaceships=planes, speederbikes=motorcycles, walkers=tanks, it seems odd that boats=boats. But I'll roll with it. 

56 minutes ago, Jedigoat said:

Riding on top of an animal, Taun-Tauns and the Gungans rode animals and also pulled wheeled wagons.  They also had submarines? 

Riding alien animals is in almost every SW entry... and when it is, it is always the worst looking FX in said entry.

So back on topic, if the rumors are right, season 2 sounds like a total mess. I hope it's not and everything going on was planned, but the lead leaving halfway through the season doesn't sound like a great move.

I can't verify this is the case, but I heard it had to do with Pedro Pascal wanting to take up on offers for movies, and he wanted to be able to do that.  So some agreeement was struck where he voices the character, but they will now have a stunt man or something stand in for the physical side of the role.  I mean if it worked for Darth Vader,  I think it can work for a show like Mandalorian.  Hell, half the scenes may very well be the stunt man half the time, anyway.

It depends on which rumors you believe. The earlier rumors are that he wanted more face time and less helmet and when they explained that wasn’t the case, he threw a fit and now the second half of the season will follow other characters.

I guess we’ll find out when we get to the second half of the season!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.