So....The Mandalorian

Filthy Jawa

Ever since ROTS, I've always maintained that Jango is far cooler than Boba ever was. I actively dislike the Boba fanboys, yet I'm very much a Mandalorian fanboy myself. The Mandalorian fandom itself has been growing steadily for years now, and it kinda feels like vindication/validation that LFL saw that part of the fandom growing and decided to give us something. Filoni himself is a part of the Mando fandom, because he was the one that helped bring it to life with his TCW and Rebels episodes based on Mandalore, a lot of which helped bring Mandalorian history back in canon after the Disney Legends reboot, as well as giving us more to boot.

I'm really hoping we get a trailer tomorrow, considering how the series is releasing in less than 2 months and we've had NOTHING but a couple of set photos from Gina Carano and Robert Rodriguez.

Jango was a pointless character as he was. He should have survived AOTC and been who Obi-Wan chased after in ROTS, instead of the other pointless character in Grevious. At least that way there'd be some history and a reason for Obi-Wan to go after him, instead of super cool four armed robot with lightsabers!!!

Personally, it would have been far cooler if Bossk was the template for the clone army. :p

Jango really should just have been Boba Fett, and NOT the clone template.

As for the people who are fans of Boba Fett (which I am one, as well as Jango Fett to a lesser degree), the thing to remember is that Fett largely gained his popularity among people who grew up on the OT, especially someone like me who was a kid during the Kenner vintage figure run. It's the nostalgia factor. When you are a kid and have an action figure of a character you tend to form a connection with that character you otherwise won't. I think that is why a lot of people like Boba Fett. Objectively, he was a glorified extra. But for those who had nostalgia for Boba Fett, that led to EU stories around him, and the fan service that was Jango Fett. Is it any surprise the guys writing the Mandalorian are bringing him in, considering those guys are right at the age where they grew up on the oT, too?

Zathras you nailed it. I was reading this thread waiting for someone to mention the Kenner action figures. Someone said earlier that only hardcore fans even knew Boba Fett's name.

That is 100% incorrect.

Every (male) kid born from 72-80 who played with those action figures knows Boba Fett and at least half thought he was super cool - because he was mysterious, villainous, and had a good design. I also liked "Walrus Man" for the same reason, but I guess not as many other kids liked Buttface because we're not currently debating whose flippered feet walked through that scene.

This is pulling deep into childhood memory, but I think my favorite bounty hunters from ESB were who Im pretty sure I called Stick Robot and Bug Threepio (which when I discovered geeky material I learned were IG-88 and 4-Lom).

I have no problem with the New Zealand accent, but find it rather amusing that people have strong opinions about it of all things.

I don't have a problem with Jango having a NZ accent. But I did have an issue (don't care much anymore, just saying) with Boba's voice being swapped out for Temuera Morrison's in the SE version, for "continuity" and to match Jango. Aside from the fact Jason Wingreen was much cooler (and cold blooded), since Vader has a voice enhancer/altering device in his suit, and Leia had it as Bosch, that means the technology is there. If bounty hunters wear a mask to hide their identity, why WOULDN'T Boba Fett have a voice altering device? The whole time in the OT, he wore a mask.

My respect for Jango is based on what he managed to actually do on screen. Boba followed Han Solo, watched as he got frozen, then took him Jabba, and when they were trying to bust him out, flew over to Luke, managed to grapple him, but when got taken out by accident and was eaten by a stationary squid. All in two movies.

Jango followed and sniped Zam Wessell, took on Obi-Wan Kenobi in single combat and arguably came out on top, bombed the shit out of an asteroid field to get rid of pursuit, helped capture Anakin and Padme, straight up shot the shit out of a Jedi that tried to surprised Dooku, set Mace Windu on fire, killed a reek after it trampled him, before being beheaded by Mace after his jetpack malfunctioned. All in one movie. There's also an argument to be made that he also killed the Jedi Order, since it was his clones that executed Order 66. Boba is overrated, but a lot of his legend was built up in the EU that's now no longer canon, so it'll be interesting to see if any of that makes it in to the new canon. Someone has already mentioned the guy from the Aftermath books that found Mandalorian armour in the desert (which was really supposed to be Boba's armour), so it's implied that he is dead, but if that IS him in S1, it'll be real interesting to hear what happened. Knowing the new LFL, we'll either get a limited series comic or a book telling us what happened to him post ROTJ/pre-Mandalorian.

I have no problem with the New Zealand accent, but find it rather amusing that people have strong opinions about it of all things.

Well, you wouldn't want him with a Canadian accent would you? Or picture William H. Macy's voice from Fargo as Jango. Same dealio.

Here is the thing with Boba

Star Wars is one of those rare things that has both a huge, popular fan base and yet also has a cult following. When you go back to the late 80s or so when ROTJ was a half decade old the huge, popular fanbase had moved one. Maybe they'd watch Star Wars if they came across it on TV. Maybe if they couldn't find anything else to rent theyd rent a Star Wars movie. However you still had that cult end of the fanbase who owned the movies on VHS and watched often.

Now everyone knows Luke, Leia, Han, Vader, Chewie, Threepio, Artoo, Yoda etc. But back then very few people outside of the cult would know Boba Fetts name. Youd have to tell them "the bounty hunter". After all his name is only mentioned once on screen and its hard to even tell what Han is saying when he says it. Because of this the cult took Boba Fett as an icon. If you said he was one of your favorite characters it meant you were in the cult. Whereas someone on the outside wouldn't know who he was and thus wasnt a "real fan".

Fast forward 30 or so years and that cult has become in many aspects those fans who are gate keepers of the franchise. The ones who are mad the main character was a woman. The ones who harrassed Kelly Marie Tran online. Ofcourse Im not saying everyone fan who likes Boba Fett fits that descritption. However, for me, when I see fan who just loves Fett so much I immediately think of that type of toxic fan who ruins Star Wars and ruins being a Star Wars fan.

Yeah...everyone I know who knows Star Wars enough to know the names of Luke, Leia, Han, Chewie and Vader, all know who Boba Fett is. Even my non-SW fan partner knows who he is, and I don't talk about him all that often. Sounds to me like you've just had bad experiences with the fandom.

Oh, well, you know, I'm just a simple man, trying to make my way in the universe, oh ya

People give so much crap to Anakins sand line, but this is my single most hated line in the whole series.
I don't know if it's the delivery or the line. In the OT, I feel like some really bad lines were delivered very well. PT = bad lines delivered badly. Unless your name's Ewan. Or Liam.

Every kid I grew up with knows Boba Fett's name from the action figures. They're not cultists, they're kids who grew up in the late 70s early 80s when these were the most popular movies in the world for this age group. There was Star Wars or The Last Starfighter. It wasn't even close.

This cult fan fiction you've created is not my experience. Maybe your town was different than mine, but Boba Fett was and still is a household name for boys of my generation.

I remember a bit on News Radio where Joe Rogan's character hid a spy cam in a Boba Fett action figure. That was, what, late '90s? It wasn't meant to be an obscure reference. I get that he's not a major character, but toys and marketing made him one to a lot of (mostly male) kids.

I agree. For Star Wars fans of the age group FJ is describing (my age group in fact), most know who Boba Fett is.

For "Star Wars" fans, thats the point. There are millions and millions of people who enjoy Star Wars but aren't what we would consider fans. That's who Im saying would have no clue who Fett was. Then Im saying a subgroup of the "fans" who did love Boba Fett have become the kind of toxic fans Im talking about.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.