So....The Mandalorian

Filthy Jawa

I watched the first episode of that, it's rather good. It has some really good behind the scenes footage, as well as the round-table interview with the directors. Filoni's story about how he got the job for TCW was particularly funny, and Taika was...Taika. You really got the sense that it was an amazing collaborative experience that, whilst it isn't exactly pushing the bounds of film-making, it's definitely using technology in ways to make the filming far more immersive for the actors and crew than GL's mass-use of green screen. It's also interesting to hear them essentially saying that Filoni has become a GL surrogate, and I get the sense that he'll have a far larger hand in Lucasfilm moving forward if The Mandalorian becomes an even bigger success.

Second episode was good too. The last ten minutes of it is Dave Filoni talking about what George taught him about Star Wars. It reenforces a belief I have that I don't express enough-- that the PT on a thematic and conceptual level has a lot of great ideas, and what George wanted to do was kinda great-- the execution of it just failed on every level.

Im as big a Star Wars fan as there could be and I really dislike crossing over of that kind. Personally I think trying to make everything so part of one universe or inter connected is a huge mistake and becomes burdensome to the the story telling. Even simple things like easter eggs I think are 90% of the time a complete waste of time and effort and the fact that they are even spending any of their time thinking of ways to include stupid little things from earlier movies or tv shows or whatever is just a complete waste of thought.

Even a character like Lando, who is an important character in the OT, its a complete waste of time and energy to include him in the ST. He feels so forced into the movie when he shows up at that crazy festival. He shouldn't have been there at all. If someone had along the lines come up with a great idea to include him then thats great, but he didn't have to be there. They never should have thought "damn I gotta get Lando into this thing.

And that point goes double for any character from a TV show or book. It's difficult enough to tell a story from start to finish that works and is good. It becomes more difficult when it then has to ft into a three movie trilogy and yet again more difficult when it that trilogy has to be part of a trilogy or trilogies. Then you want to on top of all that have to work in characters and events from other story telling mediums? It's insane.

I think this is a major part of why I like TLJ so much. Johnson was just so unconcerned with this kind of nonsense. No room for Lando? He's not there. No obvious role for Knights of Ren? See ya. Snokes backstory? Who the F cares! And whats great is that despite this he actually has what for me is easily the best use of nostalgia and OT imagery in the Disney era movies when R2 plays the message for Luke. Its great cause its not there just to be there, its actually important to the movie.

Speaking of which, theyve confirmed Temuera Morrison is returning to SW to play Boba Fett in The Mandalorian.

I'm really conflicted about the news tbh. I like Tem and if anyone should be brought in to play Boba, it's him. But I also worry because it comes back to the stupid idea that everyone in the SW universe is connected to each other. All the theories about Finn being the son of either Mace Windu or Lando just because the actor was black, or that Rey had to be either a Kenobi or a Palpatine (debunked...then confirmed. Thanks KK...), so of course a character wearing Mandalorian armour has to be Fett or a Fett (endless speculation videos on YouTube confirming the news or talking about how he would/should be Boba), so for all those idiots who kept talking about Boba this, Boba that any time any news came out about The Mandalorian prior to its release, this almost feels like they can be vindicated in their dumb theories. I'm hopeful, but also very curious as to how he'll be introduced or treated. Will he be regarded as a wannabe, just wearing the armour? Will he be a clan leader or even Mandalore? Will he been seen as just an Imperial/Hutt lackey still kicking ass and taking names? Or will he even turn out to be the big bad of the season, an outsider claiming to be Mando because his father wore the armour, so now he claims leadership and either has or ends up getting the Darksaber to lend credence to his claim?

So many questions. Hopefully we'll see a trailer soon.

People assume Fett was in season 1, and it was heavily implied. Different from being certain.

Fett should stay dead. He wasnt cool before the prequels, and hes a hell of a lot less cool now.

At the end of the episode with the junior bounty hunter. At the very end somebody walks up to the body of Ming Na Wen's character. You only see their feet, but it has the same sonar and spurs-like sound effect that was always accompanied Boba Fett in ESB. It was was subtle, and even more subtle in ESB, but it's unmistakable.

They wouldn't do that unless it was Fett. That would be like showing black boots and hearing Vader's breathing.

Boba Fett being alive is dumb

Maul being alive is dumb

The Emperor being alive is dumb

Truth.

I'm ok with a little Easter egg appearance, but if they legit bring him back that could be enough to end it for me, unless they can come up with a really convincing story that is better than the old EU "he was just so cool that he could eat out of it"

Its a good thing Alec Guinness died or Obi-Wan would've been resurrected somehow. Or he just will even though he's dead, since death is no longer a problem when it comes to casting.

Maul being alive is dumb

Truth.

I'm ok with a little Easter egg appearance, but if they legit bring him back that could be enough to end it for me, unless they can come up with a really convincing story that is better than the old EU "he was just so cool that he could eat out of it"

Its a good thing Alec Guinness died or Obi-Wan would've been resurrected somehow. Or he just will even though he's dead, since death is no longer a problem when it comes to casting.

Seems to be more of a villain thing.

At the end of the episode with the junior bounty hunter. At the very end somebody walks up to the body of Ming Na Wen's character. You only see their feet, but it has the same sonar and spurs-like sound effect that was always accompanied Boba Fett in ESB. It was was subtle, and even more subtle in ESB, but it's unmistakable.

They wouldn't do that unless it was Fett. That would be like showing black boots and hearing Vader's breathing.

Totally missed it. Thanks!

And I am not surprised. I knew Boba Fett would end up on this show at some point.

Maul being alive is dumb

Truth.

In the original draft of Jedi he and Yoda both came back to life. Like, Highlander 2 style.

Maul being alive is dumb

Truth.

If they really want to bring older Obi-Wan back they will just use and aged-up Ewan McGregor...

Alec Guinness would be 106 nowadays if he was still alive btw...

Maul being alive is dumb

Truth.

In the original draft of Jedi he and Yoda both came back to life. Like, Highlander 2 style.

So I guess JJ followed Lucas a little too closely in TROS, then?

• 3 months later...

Just watched this recently. Maybe I shouldn't even bother putting in my two cents since it's clear that Star Wars is not for me anymore... but ye gods, what exactly were people enjoying about this? I guess it's a masterpiece compared to Rise of Skywalker, but then most things are.
It feels like watching somebody play Skyrim, mixed with a less humorous and charismatic Hercules the Legendary Journeys. The episode with the sentient (or remote controlled?) AT-ST is astoundingly bad, and some of the worst costume design I've ever seen in a high budget piece of entertainment. I think, what, half the episode were largely inconsequential? Go to planet... get thing... meet new characters... ditch new characters... return to base... receive upgrade... LEVEL 2 (press start) And all that would be fine if they were entertaining in their own right, but they're not.

I appreciate the look of the show in general... and the fact that nothing much happens (which is legitimately an important part of what makes OT Star Wars work) but holy crap, the only person in the show who seems to understand that they're in a star wars show is Carl Weathers. Everyone else is acting like they're on Sons of Anarchy or something.
And Baby Yoda and IG-11's powers sure are plot convenient!

Like I've said before, I really don't have any expectations for Disney Star Wars anymore and yet they still keep managing to find new ways to miss the mark. The more this goes on the more I'm starting to believe that OT Star Wars (and to a lesser degree 90's EU) really WAS just lightning in a bottle. New creators seem to be able to get individual elements right but just can't piece it all together.

Okay, I'm trying to find the original post everyone is quoting where someone said, "he was just too cool to get eaten" or whatever so I could quote it and reply, but looking for it has become tedious. In any case, the dude was wearing a freaking jet pack! And he had highly destructive weapons! Given how unceremoniously (and comically) his "death" occurred, is it really such a stretch he made it out alive? Does it really ruin anything? Really? I can see the point about Palpatine's resurrection, but Boba Fett's is in no way on the same footing. If anything, I think it would have been cheap to leave him dead.

Fett is the dumbest character in Star Wars and the fact that people like him is stupid. Bringing back a shitty character is stupid. Just like Maul coming back.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.