So....The Mandalorian

Filthy Jawa

Yeah, hard to disagree there. And they'd done a really good job of avoiding it so far.

Though there is a theory that the mysterious figure at the end is Boba Fett since it's the same sound effects for the footsteps as his entrance in the betrayal on Bespin. Might explain why this is set on Tatooine, since this whole episode could have been set anywhere.

I think, more likely, that was just the last in a long long list of winks and nods in this episode.

I don't know... it's pretty specific. You wouldn't say that if it was Vader breathing. It's not as iconic, but I recall Lucas and Burtt talking about the spur CLINK.

Yeah, it's basically the new greenscreen. It's pretty groundbreaking.

On a very rudimentary level it goes like this:

A minimal crew (a producer and a camera operator) go to a far off location (like Iceland) and get coverage for master shots. They do 360 captures of environments at a crazy high resolution.

The footage then goes to FX artists to add in elements like ships, buildings, vaporators, set pieces, etc. The footage is made into a full on 3D environment, not unlike a video game. The space then exists virtually in high res 3D and you can operate a virtual camera within the space.

Unlike a classically created FX shot, it's a live environment. Again, like a video gamee where you can move a virtual camera around the space in real time.

Then, you have an actual shooting stage where the walls are made up of speciality made LCD screens. The 3D environment is put on on the screens. Unlike any time you point a camera at a screen int her past, there's no frame rate discrepancy to cause a flicker, they do not reflect set lights, and if you are shooting digitally (which everyone is) there is an algorithm to account for parallax issues, so that as the camera moves, the image adjusts to match so it never looks like you are pointing a camera at a flat screen. Basically, the virtual camera that exists in any rendered 3D space is matched to the physical camera on set.

So it's basically doing what a green screen does-- makes it so you can stick your subject into a different environment-- but it does it in real time and the actor can see it around them. They can enhanced and clean it up in further in post.

The show is using a variety of effects-- they are using this for big exterior shots, establishing shots, or set pieces. They are still building actual sets and shooting at practical environments too.

It's basically a holodeck without matter replication.

It's basically a holodeck without matter replication.

when are they gonna get on THAT part of it

Cheating in a holodeck is stilll cheating.

Dave Filoni directed The Clone Wars movie. The only movie rated worse than TPM. He has written and directed most of the animated series. The strong point of those is the storytelling over a period of time. So I have no problem giving him a trilogy to helm. Direct? No. But he can set the stage for future projects.

Would it be fair to say that Filoni is a decent storyteller within an established universe, but lacks any real original creativity?

I mean he couldn't even be bothered to come up with a new location on Tatooine, just checked boxes of the five places we know.

Couldn't be bothered or thinks fan service is better than creativity.

That's actually something I miss about Star Wars. The films were always pushing the boundaries of what was possible. I mean, even for all their faults the prequels still revolutionised digital filmmaking. . .we haven't had anything like that from Disney till now. There should always be an aspect of Star Wars that's about moving filmmaking techniques into the future.

I really like everything about this...the characters, the world building, everything...everything but the actual story. It just seems like all side quests. I don't mind side quests as long as the main plot is moved forward. I really know nothing about who Baby Yoda is, why is he is wanted, who are the people trying to find him, and what they are planning. I love movies with a great bad guy...but I don't really know who the bad guy is.

This isn't a movie. It's an episodic television series, in the style of old westerns. They aren't side quests because they're the focus of the show. They aren't pulling away from a main story, they are the story. What you consider the main story was just the excuse to make the Mandalorian change and go on his world hopping journey.

It could be. Maybe this is a conscious decision to go back to old TV where each episode is a self contained story. The idea of the season long story arc didn't really exist until....I want to say Buffy the Vampire Slayer, season 3 (or something) and we haven't looked back.

Of course they're not going full one-shot episodes, there is the thread of a story carrying through, but it's not what we've become used to in the last twenty years. We want the story witth 8-12 cliffhanger endings each leading into the next episode. I think Brando's right - these aren't side quest episodes, this is the show.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.