So....The Mandalorian

Filthy Jawa

Maybe they (the writing staff) are of warring minds. I dunno. Maybe someone there was like this thing is cheap, they way it has been used is cheap, so we need to do more to setup and justify the chase. I dunno. If so, thats a good thing. Whatever happened this episode did more, as you noted. It still made me chuckle tho.

There is a necessary evil in these things, really, these short cuts. They are in everything. Its also all opinion in regards to what someone can forgive really. You dig it, thats great. I aint saying youre wrong.

Enjoying it so far, and not a complaint, but this show is becoming different than what I went in expecting. Started off as Clint Eastwood like, and morally ambivalent anti-hero. Mando is now a straight up hero at this point. I thought we were getting more of a Good, Bad, and Ugly Star Wars show, but now it seems we basically have the recycled ideas of a Boba Fett movie and a Yoda movie combined into this show, just with the names changed. It would not surprise me if it turns out that Fett is the one tracking Mando.

Maybe they (the writing staff) are of warring minds.

That doesn't happen. Well-- it does, but it doesn't make it to air. Especially when the showrunner knows what they re doing. Especially especially when the showrunner, is in the case of the Mando with Favraeu, happens to be writing or co-writing all the episodes.

The show is just so predictable. Ever since he found the baby I think anyone with a brain knew that the baby would have the Force and that Mando wouldn't let the bad guys keep the baby. The 2nd and 3rd episodes basically were just about those 2 things, which I think everyone knew would happen.

Then this week the moment the show opened with those farmers in that pastoral setting you knew they were going to be attacked by raiders and you knew Mando was going to show up and help the farmers against said raiders. The entire plot of the episode could easily be predicted in the very first second of the episode.

The show is just so predictable. Ever since he found the baby I think anyone with a brain knew that the baby would have the Force and that Mando wouldn't let the bad guys keep the baby. The 2nd and 3rd episodes basically were just about those 2 things, which I think everyone knew would happen.

Then this week the moment the show opened with those farmers in that pastoral setting you knew they were going to be attacked by raiders and you knew Mando was going to show up and help the farmers against said raiders. The entire plot of the episode could easily be predicted in the very first second of the episode.

Yep. But it is Disney. And it is for families. And they're basically trying to make a live action cartoon. Nothing subversive or expectation flipping is going to happen.

i viewed the beginning of chapter 4 differently. yeah, i saw it coming as soon as i viewed it, but i feel like that's what Favreau was going for. Kind of like with Breaking Bad, they actually show you the climax of the show within the first 2 minutes of the show, but then it cuts to title screen and then the story of what/how begins. That, and i think the majority of 30-40min tv shows have a level of predictability. At least in my experience. sure there's some surprises along the way, but you're not going to get that wtf moment until mid season and/or season finale. It's like anytime Frasier went on a date, you knew it was going to end with him being single.

I dunno, i'm just a casual star wars fan. so far, i really enjoy the series. it's definitely something completely different from what they've done in the movies. this show doesn't take itself too seriously and i really like that.

Name one Star Wars anything ever that wasn't predictable, other than Vader being revealed as Luke's Father the week ESB opened. Did anyone think the hero of a Star Wars show was going to shoot a baby?

Come on. From day one Star Wars follows mythic structure. We all know that. Even if we're taking a side jaunt into gray territory with Mando or R1, we know what the movements are going to be, we know what heroes do, and given all the influences Star Wars jumbles, it's not like we ever opt in to be shocked and surprised.

You may as well say OMG I KNEW LUKE WASN'T GOING TO TURN EVIL! Yeah, no ****.

They've been clear from the start Mando was going to lean hard into the western tropes. Lucas borrowed heavily from samurai films. Samurai films were remade as westerns on multiple, very famous occasions. Could they have decided to do something completely original? Sure. But Star Wars adapting tropes from its inspirations is kind of its thing.

The hero helping the downtrodden townsfolk/farmers from bandits/corrupt officials is a go-to hero-making trope. Shane. Seven Samurai. Magnificent 7. Yojimbo. A Few Dollars More. And Hidden Fortress (Lucas' fav) to some extent.

I totally get that, and I even say it in different ways, even apologetic ways (and yes, passionate ways too lol). I went on a major argument for Rey using that exact line of defense. I am just needing the show to do more, maybe even to skew it occasionally, to bring it in a fresher way. And then I expand on maybe what might work for me.

I have major anxiety over this in my own endeavours and that is part of it, I suppose. I mean this show is such a palette swap (gamer and toy collector lingo) and yet people love it as it is... which seems unusual, things like this are usually crucified whether shows or even comedy routines etc. Anyway, maybe I am suffering from like seeing how the cake is made syndrome here? Am I too old for this shit? fuck, I seriously dunno. lol

I'm not saying I want Mando to shoot a baby and I get this is on Disney. You don't need crazy flips and twists, just don't telegraph it quite as much as they are. Or don't spend entire episodes, like #2, where the only real thing that happens which affects the story is something everyone knew would happen.

Basically at the end of the first week we all pretty much knew he'd end up taking this force baby with him and all the other bounty hunters chasing them. We are now halfway through the season and we are still basically at that point having had very little else given to us.

I'm dumb. I thought it was a flashback to his childhood again.

I'm dumb. I thought it was a flashback to his childhood again.

That's actually a fair interpretation.

So I was all in the first episode. Like, I LOVED IT! But of teh four episodes two have been side quests. I hate side quests. Honestly, plot wise, I know very little from the last three episodes. We know at the end of E1 he had issues with turning baby Yoda over and knew he was going to flee with baby Yoda in tow, Here we are going into E5 with him fleesing with baby Yoda. I don't see how the plot has really adavenced after four episodes.

I disagree with almost everyone: these aren’t side quests, this is the story. Baby Yoda is part of it, but the story is of a bounty hunter turning into a hero. It isn’t The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly, it’s Have Gun Will Travel. It’s a traveling hero in episodic format.

I'm loving it.

If I had any complaint at all, it's that Clone Wars already did the whole Seven Samurai episode just as well. I did like that it provided some framework for Mando to let his personality out there a little more though. Gina Carano was really good in it, she had some fun stuff to do that showed she can both act and kick ass and isn't just a glorified stuntwoman. I've got no problem with it leaning hard into Kurosawa or Westerns, I'd only have a problem if it didn't do so in a way that Star Wars hasn't done already.

Also I think it's naive to expect this show to take a lot of risks and not be a crowdpleaser. This is the crown jewel for Disney + and has to sell subscriptions. It's a miracle that it's being as bold as it has been to this point.

Re: the crown jewel of Disney+

The Imagineering Story is, imo, that. Followed by the runner up in The World According to Jeff Goldblum. If these shows werent there, Id have cancelled my sub already. To each their own, tho, of course.

It may not be your favorite, or even the best, but it's definitely the key to everything. Nobody is starting a subscription for the stuff you listed.

Was that helmet removal thing part of the Mandalorian story previous to this show?

Sabine took her helmet off all the time - and I think so did all the other Rebels Mandalorians.

I chalked it up to maybe being a thing just this particular clan does.

My oldest agrees with that, he argued that point when I told him I was chuckling over the realization about the helmet thing. He also then emphasized that this clan seems like religious extremists, even mentioning that Mandoh said his gun was part of his religion. I laughed and said that Mandohs clan might be stand-ins for 2nd Amendment Bible Thumpers... Make Mandalorians Great Again!

My theory is that was an old school trait of all Mandalorians that they mellowed out on over time and that whatever happened to Mandalore during the Empire years, the remnants have decided to go back to their routes.

Either way, considering how involved Dave Filoni is with the show, I think we're definitely going to get an explanation for it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.