So....The Mandalorian

Filthy Jawa

They were supposed to be bait, so I think he preferred alive but at least recognizable.

I believe he knew the only way to make Luke come to him was by making his friends suffer. Thats why it was not just about preferring them being captured alive; he needed them alive. He knew Luke would sense their danger through the Force and speed off to rescue them, which is exactly what happened. Telling the bounty hunters he wanted them alive was a direct order. Thats why I always inferred disintegration was a method that could be used to capture a bounty without killing it, but should not be used when the target is sensitive such as in this case.

The show is both too fast and too slow, its caught in the middle.

It's true. When I said the quick pace gave it less of a SW feel, I meant the pacing of the shots. Like a shot of him walking through a canyon is like 3.5 seconds and a similar shot of Obi-wan doing that is like 8 seconds. The slower cinematic pace of a shot gives the epic David Lean feels. But this is a half hour show so the AD with the stopwatch makes Pedro walk it in 3.5 and if you don't think about it you don't know why, but it doesn't quite have the feels.

So it's quick in that way, but it's also slow. I mean two episodes to get: here's a bounty hunter and he has to get a baby yoda.

Another good episode. Very predictable but it's still a lot of fun. It makes me feel like I'm watching cartoons I would watch as a kid but live action.

Really digging the whole Mandalorian lore and culture they keep throwing in there. I hope it goes more into their group migrating through space or whatever the plan is now to start some epic adventure. Has some KOTOR vibes..keep thinking about conversations with Canderous Ordo.

I think this is the first good episode, I think that had these three episodes been edited as one story then some of the issues about pacing, excess posing, trope-isms, montages, and things like that in the other two could have been reduced.

The tracking fob is still stupid. The Rambo tying his boots and putting on his headband, lets get suited up armor scenes will get tiresome but at least they are pushing in some new stuff within them, so thats smart, I think. However the flashbacks are already tiresome.

For me so much of what I love about Star Wars hasn't been present here. The whole young person longing to go off on an adventure thing, Luke looking a the suns, Rey watching the ship take off as she cleans that part. That is the essence of Star Wars for me. Plus some other stuff. I liek Jedi, The Force, lightsabers, lightsaber fight, large scale military battles with lots of ships, vehicles, huge bases. These are things that I love about Star Wars. Now maybe some of this will be in this series at some point, some of it won't. We will see.

On the flip there is some stuff in this that I really don't like, the kinda stuff that used to turn me off from the old EU the few times I'd try to get into it. The whole Mandalorian little hide out thing and attempt to build a culture around them. It just don't work. That kinda thing can be great when done right like by Tolkien or Martin but it's not what Star Wars is good at and never has been. So when they attempt to do it it just feels like a poor attempt. I just don't care about that stupid metal that is so important to them. I think the way they speak to each other sounds moronic.

For this series overall I thought the first was good and did what it had to do. The 2nd was nearly a waste of time and then this weeks was very good and has me looking forward to the rest of it. In reality though out of the 3 series they've announced this was the one I was looking forward to the least. I expected that just due to the subject matter it wouldn't be exactly what I wanted. Which is fine, Disney+ should allow Disney to release content that is a bit more catered towards specific parts of fandom. The movies need to literally make billions of dollars and be everything to everyone. The shows don't. This one isn't perfectly for me, maybe one of the next ones will be.

On the flip there is some stuff in this that I really don't like, the kinda stuff that used to turn me off from the old EU the few times I'd try to get into it. The whole Mandalorian little hide out thing and attempt to build a culture around them. It just don't work. That kinda thing can be great when done right like by Tolkien or Martin but it's not what Star Wars is good at and never has been. So when they attempt to do it it just feels like a poor attempt. I just don't care about that stupid metal that is so important to them. I think the way they speak to each other sounds moronic.

/quote]

Different strokes for different folks. I loved all that, and enjoyed the universe being explored where the Force isn't the central theme (yet).

I know I have said this before-- but to me Star Wars is a visual narrative. The unique production design, the intentional color pallets, the simplify black vs white morality-- it's a very specific thing that does not work for me in other mediums. It misses the mark completely.

Next time we see him, he better have a stew goin'.

Chapter IV: I like that it had a bit more heart, but did we really need another Three Amigos homage? Still, solid episode. Where have I seen that cat thing before?

Well I'd say its more of a Shane or Seven Samarai homage.

Also, these tracking fobs? Are they just magic? Do you just say "I need to find so and so" and they can track that person?

Episode 4 was alright.

Except for the hilariousness of the continued use of the magic homing beams and then the female character getting less armor than a dudebro, do they get points for not having her in a belly shirt at least? ;-) lol

I also am starting to think that using such worn plots might be more fun if they took them and did something different... like I mentioned before Mandoh went and got Baby Yoda back, that it might have been so awesome for him to just throw Baby Yoda into carbon freeze at the start of Episode 2 and then move on to the next job. So like in this remake of Bugs Life (as my kids dubbed it, lol) maybe it would have been great to hear Mandoh tell the farmers to learn to defend themselves and then he just leaves. lol

Afterthought: I am not really suggesting I want to watch a Disney Star Wars show about an asshole, I just want them to skew this stuff up. Get weird, fantastic.

Afterthought 2: Maybe by get weird what I mean is at its simplest just flipping expectations. So like the Jawas, everyone was like savages, freaky, everyone was glad they showed what was suggested, but why couldnt the Jawas or some of them been like I dunno... poets. LOL Not literally that tho. Or with these villagers, that get the pity from Mandoh... why not flip it and have them be a village of jerkoffs, maybe they grow and produce a drug and that is their export and they do it intentionally and knowingly lol, and usually they blast the F outta invaders but these dudes just got them, so they are like oh shit we got no more guns and then Mandoh only realizes this too late. These are as straight up simple flips as you can get, but I kinda want the show to play with that type of thing and better than I can probably think of. Get weird, Mandoh.

Afterthought 3: I know some people might be like but Star Wars is simple straightforward morals and set ups, I know. However it does also like to skew stuff, the bad guys wear white, a tiny dude is probably more powerful than anything, its simple flips. Simple skews. Chewie is the Cowardly Lion. Luke wins not because he is the most badass Jedi Knight Warrior with all the elite skills and RPG grindy level ups, but because he ultimately chose to not fight at all. Mandoh both the character and the series feels pretty straight to me right now. If the show is gonna be about the silent dudebro that actually has a heart, classic setup, then give him some dilemma that can fork him up a bit... and not just physically. Challenge this mofo.

The fobs do not have an unlimited range. The news of the mando defeating the ATST is what brought the bounty hunter to the planet in the first place and THEN the fob was used to get the precise location on that planet. There are a few things that make this evident.

Firstly, the Mandalorian is a bounty hunter himself (or was) and knows about fobs and presumably how they work. If he knew he could be tracked across the galaxy indefinitely by any bounty hunter with a fob, why would he even attempt to hide?

Next, if all the fobs were perfectly transponding their position the entire time, why did only one bounty hunter show up and only AFTER defeating the walker? Wouldnt all 50 or whatever of them show up around the same time (same starting point and same destination).

Lastly, there is a specific line where the Mandalorian says to Cara that they raised hell a couple weeks ago and that it's going to bring unwanted attention. The whole point of that line is to tell us later that this is what attracted the bounty hunter. Why else would they make a point of explicitly saying that?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.