So....The Mandalorian

Filthy Jawa

It's funny that people who love Star Wars can have such different opinions on Star Wars. Ive seen here and elsewhere people saying this "feels" like Star Wars or it makes them feel like a kid again. For me it is the exact opposite. This "feels" less like Star Wars than anything they've ever put it. So much of what I love from Star Wars is absent here.

In the end I can take alot of "bad" from Star Wars and still love it. I can take awful acting, unreadable dialogue, the worst romance ever written, a 9 foot tall annoying amphibian, bad CGI. The one thing I can't take though is boredom and so far this is what this show has mostly given me.

Having said all that if the story goes in the direction I kinda think it will there is alot of potential for fun going forward so Im still giving it a shot and thinking in the end it will have been worth watching.

My comment wasnt directed at anyone in particular. I was just speaking in general towards the negativity (not even relating to this thread). Its just funny that if people used the same critical lens they use to dissect all the new material and did the same thing with the OT theyd realize you could tear those movies to shreds just as easily.

Especially when it comes to minute details about the plot that are really inconsequential to the overall picture. Like are we really sure those are actual gps locators that lead Mando straight to the bounty? And if so, would we have even complained about that if this had come out in 1977?

I sound like Im discouraging discussion. Im really not. Ill just shut up at this point. lol

The homing beacon thing is way silly and cheapens Mandoh. In addition it opens up plot holes. If this Business Man that hired Mandoh could pin point the Baby Yodas exact position in the galaxy... why wasnt a direct and major assault led on the base?

We are told a series of bounty hunters are sent, and then we see this unintentional duo succeeds in (failing upwards) breaking the bases defenses. Without the homing beacon we would have a sequence of detective work that these bounty hunters followed up on, and the plot hole has a chance to fall away, because it is easier to believe bounty hunters would be secretive about their leads... with those then dying with them. Even in a classic treasure hunt plot, with X marking the spot, that isnt a technological X which is literally pinging right here. There are clues, and oh look this rock looks like a skull maybe go this way puzzles.

Also, now that we know there is a Force Sensitive Baby Yoda that can use the Force better than Luke could in Empire Strikes Back then we now have to wonder why Jedi Master Luke... (ten years into being Jedi Master Luke) and Jedi Master Luke who at this point in time is supposedly focused on teaching or searching for Force Sensitives to remake the Jedi... has not come into play. And if he never comes into play... well, thats definitely odd.

Afterthought: So yeah... we are left wondering where is Luke? Why doesnt he sense something? Whats he doing? So basically for me this circles back to my assertion ages ago that the ST era feels like it would have been better off being spurred into existence because Luke is dead. It then would be his one with the Force presence that is reaching out to and guiding all these events, with it not being until Rey that someone finally hears him/The Force. Then we can have all these fantastic things like a Baby Yoda and never have to wonder why Luke isnt around.

Afterthought 2: If you are wondering how hard it would have been or easy for Luke to have been dead right from the start, me too. I have no idea if it would actually have worked. If it would have felt cheap. All I do know is there might have been a way for Luke to relate what happened that would be immediately understood and in his character. Basically he could have explained that he couldnt kill his own nephew. Same line he had about Vader. Its just this time Ben killed him or let him die, where last time Vader turned back. But anyway, these afterthoughts dont matter jack shit really. lol

Luke never came into my mind ONCE whilst watching the Mandalorian. Nor did the power level of the Child. And the GPS things were unavailable for the bounty for the Child. He only was given last known location and the age. Those handle dongle things are for the carbonite coffins, and the bounty pucks are more ID file things. Not sure they provide GPS either. In fact I don't remember GPS locations being mentioned in it at all.. Unless I misremember

It literally pings right to Baby Yoda in episode one. In episode two they make a point to remind the viewer it literally pings right to Baby Yoda during the ambush... while making an unintentional point that Mandoh is either too stupid to have thought to disable it or too inept to know how.

Not to mean disrespect, but you're overthinking this all. It's turn-off-your-brain-and-enjoy Star Wars, not some cerebral, thought provoking hard science fiction show. You can nitpick all you like I guess, but you have to remember Star Wars is more or less a collection of tropes and homages to other films, and plot holes if you think too deeply. Always has been, right down to ANH.

I see people believing it's a clone because the one for in the first episode was wearing a Kaminoan jacket. I see that guy as someone who wants the child so he can try to clone him for whatever nefarious reason. There were as far as I could tell no humans on Kamino other than Jango, Boba, and the clones. What happened to the facility after the rise of the Empire is a mystery at this point.

To clarify, this is what I was thinking. There may be a cloning connection but I don't think the baby is one.

So far I think it's okay. I'm not finding Mando to be a very engaging character yet. I get the sense I'm supposed to be rooting for him, but I have no real reason to - he hasn't been charming or likeable really - I have no emotional connection to anything at this point and I think that's a bit of a miss.

It looks great, but I disagree with those saying it gets the feels right. The small shots, the quick pace and the score are all wrong for my feels. I still like it enough though.

If there is anything reminiscent of SW, some of the space shots remind me of the PT. Just the simple shots of a ship going by in space and how the camera pans to follow it - I can't remember exactly but that feels more PT to me. OT the camera was fixed as ships flew by more, wasn't it? Maybe I'm totally wrong on this.

I have read several sites that were super excited to see the Mandalorian kill Jawas by disintegrating them. It was a, we finally get to see what Vader was talking above it in ESB! moment.

When Vader warns Boba Fett he is not to use disintegration to capture the Falcon crew in ESB, I always figured he warned him against it because it was a dirty way of capturing a bounty. Vader gave instructions to the bounty hunters that he wants the heroes caught alive but then points out no disintegrations. Why would he say no disintegrations if it meant they would die if he just said they are to be caught alive? By saying this after I always inferred disintegrating someone was a method of capturing them, but it was unreliable and Vader was not willing to take that risk.

The show is both too fast and too slow, its caught in the middle.

For example look at the scenes involving him having to learn to ride the beast. Its like this thing "I don't know how to ride" "Ehh, you can figure it out" and then he does in like one 30 second montage. Same thing with fixing the ship "OMG, itll take forever" "Nah". Then they fix it in one montage.

Either get rid of this stupid little obstacles that slow the show down OR milk them all for what they are worth and make them worthwhile obstacles that are difficult to overcome. To set up this obstacles that he overcomes with no real issue and takes 30 seconds both slows the show down just by being there but also makes the show seem to be flying too fast through these obstacles.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.