So....The Mandalorian

Filthy Jawa

The whole Baby Yodas (whatever their species is, Whills or whatever) stay infants for 50 years at least is unbelievably lame and done solely to swerve the audience up to that point.

The idea that a diaper filling, wake you up at all hours of the night for feedings, infant stays that way for fifty years is an idea straight from the very depths of Hell. And I would wager thats the real reason Yoda hid on Dagobah, the dude just needed a nap.

Afterthought:

The idea that every bounty has a homing beacon on them seems unbelievably lazy and just a way to avoid writing any sort of deductive reasoning and investigative dialogue. Hey, Mandoh, here is your bounty... and here is a device that tells you right where they are. This device removes all points of why Mandoh was even concerned about not knowing the name or anything else other than the age. And all that information is completely pointless considering he is given a device that pin points the bountys EXACT location.

Afterthought 2:

The homing beacon, which is demonstrated in the show as literally pinging right to the bounty, is exactly like hand-holding markings in modern RPGs that exist because portions of the gaming community can no longer read and deduce clues as to what they are suppose to do next to proceed thru the story.

Afterthought 3:

This story btw, at least right now, and as presented as not just the starring character by the story but by the title, and who in an era of asking for female heroes and representation in other areas is in this from scratch show concept just yet another Eastwood talking dudebro, and in this era the general community just squees in joy over getting the same old hero yet again, is why I have coined the nickname of Mandoh.

Yeah they went there. If there is an out for them in that Yoda's species is completely unknown. The species itself could be Force sensitive. We don't know. We've only every seen two.

Be honest though. If this were a George Lucas production he's been blamed for trying to sell cute Yoda toys.

If this were a George Lucas production he's been blamed for trying to sell cute Yoda toys.

He pretty much created movie merchandising so that's a fair cop.

Loving this so far. I've always have some doubts with Jon Favreau but I think he'll end up doing what he did for Marvel with Iron Man for Lucasfilm here.

The Lone Wolf and Cub vibe was strong.

Still a fun time-- but I am not a fan of story-less roadblock episodes.

Also, the gray robed, red-eyed Jawas were hilarious but terrifying. So was this Tattooine? It looked like it... I always thought Jawa were indigenous to Tattoine.

Apologies for several random musings.

I don't think this one counts as a Mary Sue. Despite seemingly being an infant, it showed clear intent when using the Force. (Can we nickname it "Cub"?)

As for the tracking fob, perhaps it uses genetic information. The Mandalorian asks about the chain code (and, curiously, speaks of the bounty in plural form), and only gets the last four digits: their age. Also, Dr. Pershing's Wookieepedia entry shows the Kaminoan cloning facility insignia on his shoulder.

It's interesting that the whole early history of Yoda's species was kept deliberately (and militantly!) vague. Then the TPM gave us Yaddle. (And I can't recall any others in Senate boxes.) Post-PT media has done a fantastic job using so much of McQuarrie's material, I think there's a lot of Lucas' to use as well. I'm optimistic there's some variation of Whills in a later episode.

I loved the creepy violence of the jawas. I've read the planet is Arvala-7 so maybe the allure of a post-war galaxy of scrap has drawn them off-world.

Only nitpick for me was the Trandoshans. Human-like eyes (not bulbous) and hands and forearms. They felt like the nth redesign of Klingons. The previous episode made a surprisingly believable depiction of the IG prop, that I'm a little disappointed the same effort wasn't here.

If I had a problem at the time when Dark Empire, and to a lesser extent the first Zahn trilogy, came out was that you could clone a force user and these clone would have the ability to use the Force. With the Force being a mystical entity it never say right that you could replicate it. If course Lucas came up with midichlorians and made that a moot point. Seeing as those stories are no longer canon we can at least expect that the child won't be named Yooda.

I still don't think that this is a clone of Yoda. That just opens so many potential plot holes for the sequel trilogy. You can honest start to worry as to whether the child survives the series if not the season.

I see people believing it's a clone because the one for in the first episode was wearing a Kaminoan jacket. I see that guy as someone who wants the child so he can try to clone him for whatever nefarious reason. There were as far as I could tell no humans on Kamino other than Jango, Boba, and the clones. What happened to the facility after the rise of the Empire is a mystery at this point.

Yeah they went there. If there is an out for them in that Yoda's species is completely unknown. The species itself could be Force sensitive. We don't know. We've only every seen two.

Four now. Yoda, Yaddle, Vandar and the Child.

Still a fun time-- but I am not a fan of story-less roadblock episodes.

Also, the gray robed, red-eyed Jawas were hilarious but terrifying. So was this Tattooine? It looked like it... I always thought Jawa were indigenous to Tattoine.

Pretty much my thoughts on the episode too.

It's not Tatooine by the way, the latest Black Series wave of figures feature a Jawa figure that's called Off-World Jawa, which would suggest that you're right about them being indigenous to Tatooine.

Hearing people complain about the Mandalorian makes me think no one will ever be satisfied with new Star Wars no matter how good it is. As someone else said, the first 2 episodes are better than all of The Last Jedi. Personally, I've been waiting for something exactly like this since Lucas sold to Disney. I know we're only two episodes in but it has everything I want out of Star Wars. I'm extremely happy were getting "Gunsmoke" like serial western episodes. I feel like a kid again watching these... and almost every character they introduce on screen, no matter how minor (Werner Hertzog or Nick Nolte's Ugnaught) seem very well developed and interesting. It's like we're finally getting Star Wars in the format it was inspired from. Can't wait for more.

News flash: Criticism and especially that with a tongue-in-cheek, should not imply someone cannot enjoy anything ... even the thing they are criticizing.

Mandoh failing upwards is refreshing, I suppose, in comparison to heroes that just got this ... so to speak. And speaking of which, I have no problem with Baby Yoda using the Force, Clark Kent kicked through his crib too. I am weary of this series being two hours in, basically a feature length, and the episodes already feel like they are treading water solely because this is a series rather than a film. We have had several stand in the doorway and pose with the sun behind the hero shots already. We have had the A-Team repair montage and all the other stereotypical moments for this genre I noted initially*. If this series doesnt become its own fresher thing very soon it might just actually be a buncha pretty shots with nothing else in between, as it is right now its teetering on the precipice of a fan film with a budget.

*I am having conversations about this series in multiple places, it looks like this particular place was not the place where I noted some stuff. In short: Yet Another DudeBro Hero, Cheesy Stereotypical Fighting, Tormented/Tragic Flashback, Weird Short Man, Dumb Droid, Star Wars Paint by Numbers etc.

Look, a lot of this stuff is fine... you need it, we even expect it etc. However in a project like say... Rogue One, these things were handled in a superior and fresher way. Also, yes, I know this is all opinion. lol

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.