Do you retire the theme song after Ep. IX?

Filthy Jawa

So far the classic Star Wars theme has been used in eight movies, a variation in some of the animated series, and conspicuously not used in the anthology movies.

So if you're Kathleen Kennedy, do you use that theme in the future series' that have been announced or is it only for these nine episodes?

Do people retire because there's something wrong with them? Maybe the Star Wars theme just wants to spend more time with its grandkids or travel the southwest.

Maybe some people think it's just time for something new and fresh.

Maybe some are wondering if there comes a day when the ol' theme starts to sound a bit tired.

Maybe there's a decision that it's the theme of this nine-part Skywalker saga and not the theme for all Star Wars. That certainly seems to be the message with R1 and Solo

Wouldn't using it less or even not at all for a while be a manner of retiring it? Who looks foolish now?

Saying if she should retire it makes it seem as if you are saying it in some sort of official capacity. Like they announce "we aren't using that song any more."

Guest El Chalupacabra

Do people retire because there's something wrong with them? Maybe the Star Wars theme just wants to spend more time with its grandkids or travel the southwest.

Maybe some people think it's just time for something new an fresh.

Maybe some are wondering if there comes a day when the ol' theme starts to sound a bit tired.

Maybe there's a decision that it's the theme of this nine-part Skywalker saga and not the theme for all Star Wars. That certainly seems to be the message with R1 and Solo

Well, it was my understanding that the spin off movies were not given the opening crawl to differentiate them from the episodes. Maybe that was why they didn't use the John Williams music, too? Or maybe they didn't want to pay the royalties.

We really don't know if there will be more episode movies after 9 or not. If not, then maybe they could use unique themes for the spin off trilogy (ies). Until otherwise reported, we know that the GOT writers will have their own trilogy, and until confirmed otherwise, so does Rian Johnson.

As long as the music sounds like it is inspired by the original John Williams music, if they move onto other themes, I am OK with it for spin offs. But if they make more episodes, and assuming I am not completely checked out at that point (Episode 9 will decide if I bail on star Wars for good or not), then I would prefer the John Williams theme to continue for the episodes, at least.

I'm not saying not using the fanfare ruined Rogue One or anything like that, but I think that using it before any Star Wars story adds a sense of cohesion.

I mean, we're used to fanfic and the EU and recognizing a thing as a Star War whether it has a Skywalker in it or not, but especially since Disney seems dead-set on finishing off any and everything from the OT and taking it in their own direction, having that fanfare to tell you THIS IS A STAR WAR at the beginning of a movie typically sets the mood for what you're about to watch. At least, it does for me.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I'm not saying not using the fanfare ruined Rogue One or anything like that, but I think that using it before any Star Wars story adds a sense of cohesion.

I mean, we're used to fanfic and the EU and recognizing a thing as a Star War whether it has a Skywalker in it or not, but especially since Disney seems dead-set on finishing off any and everything from the OT and taking it in their own direction, having that fanfare to tell you THIS IS A STAR WAR at the beginning of a movie typically sets the mood for what you're about to watch. At least, it does for me.

I am OK with it now, and it wasn't really jarring, but I did miss the opening crawl and opening theme for Rogue One. For Solo, not so much. Probably because Rogue One felt more like part of the OT universe, whereas Solo barely even felt like Star Wars at some points. It was a lot better than expected, but I had decided long ago Solo was more or less a glorified fan film, so it didn't bother me that it didn't have John Williams' score.

But when you think about the themes of each movie, other than the opening theme, they all have their own unique tracks. They all sound related (either being BY John Williams, or inspired by him), but they are different.

Didn't the Hobbit movies use a different theme from LOTR? But they still had certain themes appear from the original trilogy. Same with the Terminator movies, they had different music, but still had that thudding music appear in certain scenes. It doesn't need to be retired properly, but it could also be somewhat shelved, and only appear in certain dramatic scenes for effect.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Didn't the Hobbit movies use a different theme from LOTR? But they still had certain themes appear from the original trilogy. Same with the Terminator movies, they had different music, but still had that thudding music appear in certain scenes. It doesn't need to be retired properly, but it could also be somewhat shelved, and only appear in certain dramatic scenes for effect.

I honestly can't remember. I blocked those Hobbit films out of my memory!

But I think you are right in that they did use different themes.

I seem to remember Terminator 1 & 2 had the same theme, but performed differently. The rest I think were different, but sounded inspired by the original.

The thing is, I am OK with spin off Star Wars movies having unique themes, as long as they capture the feel of the original. When it comes to episode films, like Iceheart is saying, I prefer to at least have the opening theme of the OT. The rest of the film can have whatever themes they want, but when the movie first starts, I personally feel it would be out of place without an opening crawl, and the original theme music playing during the crawl.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.