A new study on the TLJ fan backlash finds...

Iceheart

In context, I would assume that it's a joke based on everything being fake these days.

And, yeah, everything is politicized and different groups use different means to support it with a lot of fake stuff from both sides. The fringe right seems to have made better use of bots, though. Although that could just be that the left is doing even better at hiding it.

I would be hesitant to write off opinions, though, and I could see people doing so given the content. Heck, it's already happened with people here seeming to write off opinions because everyone who disliked TLJ is sexiest/raciest (name that reference!).

Most outrage is manufactured these days, so that isn't surprising. But, still, that means 50% of it was real, and that just accounts for the people who use Twitter and care enough to post about it

I strongly disliked it, tried again, hated it more, and skipped Solo as a result. I'll probably see episode IX, but I'm only going to the theater if other people invite me. Not making a plan to go.

Yeah, no one is saying that the movie was golden and irreproachable in it's magnificence (except maybe Choc). But this study explains a lot about what happened to me when I got retweeted by Chuck Wendig a few months back.

If you read the conclusion, it basically says "hey, there are a lot of bad actors on the internet, they've infiltrated the Star Wars discourse to stir shit, and you should be aware of that before engaging someone you think is just a fellow fan with a differing opinion." As someone who has unwittingly found myself caught up in this, the knowledge is appreciated.

Yeah, no one is saying that the movie was golden and irreproachable in it's magnificence (except maybe Choc). But this study explains a lot about what happened to me when I got retweeted by Chuck Wendig a few months back.

If you read the conclusion, it basically says "hey, there are a lot of bad actors on the internet, they've infiltrated the Star Wars discourse to stir ****, and you should be aware of that before engaging someone you think is just a fellow fan with a differing opinion." As someone who has unwittingly found myself caught up in this, the knowledge is appreciated.

No, but there are people here who were quick to immediately post that the backlash was caused by alt-right trolls the second anyone posted anything negative about the movie. That's decreased, but it was frustrating enough that I stopped interacting with the guilty parties for a while.

It was all carefully done to be able to say "Im not saying YOU'RE sexist, but... everyone who says anything bad about this movie is."

If you read the conclusion, it basically says "hey, there are a lot of bad actors on the internet, they've infiltrated the Star Wars discourse to stir ****, and you should be aware of that before engaging someone you think is just a fellow fan with a differing opinion." As someone who has unwittingly found myself caught up in this, the knowledge is appreciated.

No, but there are people here who were quick to immediately post that the backlash was caused by alt-right trolls the second anyone posted anything negative about the movie. That's decreased, but it was frustrating enough that I stopped interacting with the guilty parties for a while.

It was all carefully done to be able to say "Im not saying YOU'RE sexist, but... everyone who says anything bad about this movie is."

Although I love TLJ, I'm fairly certain I've never done that at all.

I don't think that at all, although I do love the movie. I have mentioned my issues with it here. I just choose not to dwell on them. I'd rather spend my time talking about the things I do like, rather than the things I don't.

There was backlash against TLJ??? Shennanigans! Must be bots and trolls working for the alt right. No sane human could have such an adverse reaction to an entirely subjective entertainment medium.

I don't think the point of the paper was to say that at all, I think the point was to just show that online discourse isn't always exactly what it seems.

Although I love TLJ, I'm fairly certain I've never done that at all.
Nope. I'm not naming names, but I wasn't thinking of you at all. If I was going to sum up your arguments, it would be "I liked it"

There was backlash against TLJ??? Shennanigans! Must be bots and trolls working for the alt right. No sane human could have such an adverse reaction to an entirely subjective entertainment medium.

I don't think the point of the paper was to say that at all, I think the point was to just show that online discourse isn't always exactly what it seems.

I realise that. I was being somewhat glib.

• 1 year later...

I always figured if there were any hard feelings they would start coming out as we got farther away from the films' releases and the dust settled.

https://www.usmagazine.com/entertainment/news/john-boyega-slams-disney-star-wars-for-pushing-aside-black-lead/

Without any affiliation or contracts, yeah, I would expect some cast and crew to open up and get more honest about their ST experiences.

I didn't follow the sequels a fraction of how I followed the prequels. I just watched the movies. Did Disney really push the fact that Finn was black, or was it that they made a concerted effort to cast people of color? How Finn was used in the movies can be blamed more on the lack of direction for the story as a whole imo.

I definitely agree Finn had a lot of wasted potential, but like Met is saying, that has a lot more to do with a lack of direction. And quite frankly, in my view, poor writing, when it came to Finn's character. I found Finn pretty uninteresting beyond TFA (It was a cool idea of having a stormtrooper defector), but it honestly seems like no one knew what to do with him after the first act of TFA. His story really ended in TLJ, after he killed Captain Phasma, and later was shown willing to sacrifice himself for the rebellion, when up until that time, he was a reluctant hero. In TROS, Finn is pretty much just along for the ride and could have even been left out of the movie.

I don't buy the argument that Boyega is making. I think that says more about him than anything else, because every single interview or public appearance I've seen with him, I think Boyega comes off as arrogant and egotistical. It's quite possible that he has sour grapes because, in his mind, he thinks he should have been THE star when the story was really about Rey and Kylo, all along. In the end, Finn was really just a supporting main character, not THE main character.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.