Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

A new study on the TLJ fan backlash finds...

20 replies to this topic

Iceheart

Iceheart

No.

• Moderators
  • 20,475 posts

... 50%-ish of said twitter backlash was caused by trolls and bots with a political agenda.

giphy.gif

Tank

Tank

Driver

• 34,354 posts
Feels about right

Filthy Jawa

Filthy Jawa

Bring back Mandard!

• 8,662 posts
Is "University of Southern California" even a real university?

The Choc

The Choc

• 8,933 posts

OJ Simpson went there.

Tank

Tank

Driver

• 34,354 posts
So did George Lucas

The Choc

The Choc

• 8,933 posts

So did George Lucas

I know, I couldn't figure out if he was being serious or not. But I suppose if hes not from the US he may not know. 

Brando

Brando

83% Muppet

• Admin
  • 18,716 posts
In context, I would assume that it's a joke based on everything being fake these days.

And, yeah, everything is politicized and different groups use different means to support it with a lot of fake stuff from both sides. The fringe right seems to have made better use of bots, though. Although that could just be that the left is doing even better at hiding it.

I would be hesitant to write off opinions, though, and I could see people doing so given the content. Heck, it's already happened with people here seeming to write off opinions because everyone who disliked TLJ is sexiest/raciest (name that reference!).
  • El Chalupacabra +1 this

Iceheart

Iceheart

No.

• Moderators
  • 20,475 posts

No, YOU'RE the raciest!

Tank

Tank

Driver

• 34,354 posts
The MOST raciest ever! Now tell me more about your legal right to own a howitzer.

Metropolis

Metropolis

• 14,368 posts
I'm not on social media. So could my not liking the movie be as simple as personal preference?

Odine

Odine

• Supporters
  • 2,174 posts
There was backlash against TLJ??? Shennanigans! Must be bots and trolls working for the alt right. No sane human could have such an adverse reaction to an entirely subjective entertainment medium.

Brando

Brando

83% Muppet

• Admin
  • 18,716 posts
Most outrage is manufactured these days, so that isn't surprising. But, still, that means 50% of it was real, and that just accounts for the people who use Twitter and care enough to post about it

I strongly disliked it, tried again, hated it more, and skipped Solo as a result. I'll probably see episode IX, but I'm only going to the theater if other people invite me. Not making a plan to go.

Iceheart

Iceheart

No.

• Moderators
  • 20,475 posts

Yeah, no one is saying that the movie was golden and irreproachable in it's magnificence (except maybe Choc). But this study explains a lot about what happened to me when I got retweeted by Chuck Wendig a few months back.

If you read the conclusion, it basically says "hey, there are a lot of bad actors on the internet, they've infiltrated the Star Wars discourse to stir ****, and you should be aware of that before engaging someone you think is just a fellow fan with a differing opinion." As someone who has unwittingly found myself caught up in this, the knowledge is appreciated.

Poe Dameron

Poe Dameron

• 2,485 posts

I would guess 50% is too low for just about any controversy.

Brando

Brando

83% Muppet

• Admin
  • 18,716 posts

Yeah, no one is saying that the movie was golden and irreproachable in it's magnificence (except maybe Choc). But this study explains a lot about what happened to me when I got retweeted by Chuck Wendig a few months back.

If you read the conclusion, it basically says "hey, there are a lot of bad actors on the internet, they've infiltrated the Star Wars discourse to stir ****, and you should be aware of that before engaging someone you think is just a fellow fan with a differing opinion." As someone who has unwittingly found myself caught up in this, the knowledge is appreciated.

No, but there are people here who were quick to immediately post that the backlash was caused by alt-right trolls the second anyone posted anything negative about the movie. That's decreased, but it was frustrating enough that I stopped interacting with the guilty parties for a while.

It was all carefully done to be able to say "Im not saying YOU'RE sexist, but... everyone who says anything bad about this movie is."

The Choc

The Choc

• 8,933 posts

No, but there are people here who were quick to immediately post that the backlash was caused by alt-right trolls the second anyone posted anything negative about the movie. That's decreased, but it was frustrating enough that I stopped interacting with the guilty parties for a while.

It was all carefully done to be able to say "Im not saying YOU'RE sexist, but... everyone who says anything bad about this movie is."

Although I love TLJ, I'm fairly certain I've never done that at all.

The Choc

The Choc

• 8,933 posts

I don't think that at all, although I do love the movie. I have mentioned my issues with it here. I just choose not to dwell on them. I'd rather spend my time talking about the things I do like, rather than the things I don't. 

The Choc

The Choc

• 8,933 posts

There was backlash against TLJ??? Shennanigans! Must be bots and trolls working for the alt right. No sane human could have such an adverse reaction to an entirely subjective entertainment medium.

I don't think the point of the paper was to say that at all, I think the point was to just show that online discourse isn't always exactly what it seems. 

Brando

Brando

83% Muppet

• Admin
  • 18,716 posts

Although I love TLJ, I'm fairly certain I've never done that at all.
Nope. I'm not naming names, but I wasn't thinking of you at all. If I was going to sum up your arguments, it would be "I liked it"
  • Odine +1 this

Poe Dameron

Poe Dameron

• 2,485 posts

I think we all have to acknowledge that there are outside agents who come running to the sound of gunfire and ignore them.

Odine

Odine

• Supporters
  • 2,174 posts

I don't think the point of the paper was to say that at all, I think the point was to just show that online discourse isn't always exactly what it seems. 

I realise that. I was being somewhat glib. 

Reply to this topic