The Great Fantasy Glut of Early October 2018

Iceheart

And it still ignores the fact that the Chronicles are Christian fiction written by a Christian apologist. It's a children's version of Mere Christianity.

... I literally argued that the story doesn't match up, even allegorically, with my observations and experiences with Christian faith and worship, but okay.

We're going to have to agree to disagree here. Not about Lewis being unapologetically Christian (pun intended), but about how we think and feel about Lewis's interpretation of Christianity.

Sigh. I apparently missed about half of my post when I had to retype it after my iPod randomly rebooted. It's missing some of the bits that were less harsh.

I will add that I think there are bigger feminist issues, such as why the biggest evil in Narnia is female (Jadis/The White Witch and the Green Lady. I hold with the theory they're both the same), why the girls are subservient to Peter and protected from battle despite Susan being incredibly talented. Why does Ramandu's daughter not warrant a name and why does Caspian just get to claim her?

I read all of that as the books being the product of their time. It's never "bothered" me taken in that context, but then, I don't have children to read this book to, so it's never had to bother me personally.

That being said, I'll bet that all gets re-written for Netflix.

The only thing that bothered me about the movies was the complete rewrite of Peter. If Susan's ending is rewritten, I wouldn't care. Mainly I'm sick of the reluctant hero trope and don't think that characters need to be rewritten to make it happen. Especially when there are things that already exist that can be increased for dramatic effect. Their brother betrayed them! Caspian's uncle wants to kill him! There's a boat!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.