Captain Marvel smile discussion

Iceheart

• 3 months later...

Resurrecting this a bit. As we're getting closer to the movie's release, I'm noticing the number of people rooting for this movie to fail increasing. It's sometimes tough to see what's real and what's not on the internet. Could just be that it ends up in my recommendations for the same reason that all those "The Last Jedi is terrible" videos end up in my there even though I don't watch them and clicking the not interested button.

Now, to reset the thread, I'm not rooting for the movie to fail. I like the MCU and don't want it to be ruined by having to take sides. No one ever really wins once we start down that path. I find the people on the internet and on YouTube complaining about this stuff to be obnoxious, bottom-feeding, and generally in search of reasons to be outraged. However, the filmmakers stupidly did make it a thing for no reason when they had more than enough cache to just say "Trust us".

Anyway, it seems to be reaching a critical mass where they managed to divide the audience for the first time I remember leading up to one of these movies. Would that just be bad for this movie, or would it be bad for the MCU in general going forward?

Guest El Chalupacabra

I don't expect this movie to be at Iron Man 3 (my least favorite MCU film, anyway...substitute your personal worst MCU film here) levels of bad. It will likely be about as good as Ant Man 2 or GOTG2 (which were mediocre to me, so again, substitute your middle of the pack MCU film here). I am indifferent to Captain Marvel, and probably won't see it until its on video, unless the buzz is one MUST see it before End Game, which I will see in the theater. I got by not seeing Ragnarok or Black Panther before seeing Infinity War in the theater just fine (and waited until after they were on video), and I expect Captain Marvel to be the same. Captain Marvel looks like a run of the mill origin story comic film, so I don't feel much motivation to go see it in the theater, but looks decent enough. I haven't paid too much attention to those who are rooting for it to fail, nor do I understand the Bree Larson hate. What is that all about, anyway? Surely it's not the smile thing. If so, I have to say people who are pissed about that simply don't live in the real world.

What is that all about, anyway? Surely it's not the smile thing. If so, I have to say people who are pissed about that simply don't live in the real world.

More or less. It's the spark that lit the fire anyway. Once these things get started and people start getting money for outrage articles/videos, then it's basically all looking for excuses. Last I checked they were going crazy because she said Captain Marvel could pick up Thor's hammer or something.

I'm totally confused by it. I've been on both sides now-- I've posted on this site for 20 years (holy shit) and most of it has been PT hate.

But I made a movie that has a deep fandom and man oh man does that hate mail and socisl media abuse wear you down.

I look at fandom and detest it now-- but I was 100% there... and back to the wall, I'll still trash talk TPM.

But I never made it my job to hate the movie. I didn't live off ad revenue from my crappy youtube show where every week I'd bash the movie for an hour.

I'm totally confused by it. I've been on both sides now-- I've posted on this site for 20 years (holy ****) and most of it has been PT hate.

But I made a movie that has a deep fandom and man oh man does that hate mail and socisl media abuse wear you down.

I look at fandom and detest it now-- but I was 100% there... and back to the wall, I'll still trash talk TPM.

But I never made it my job to hate the movie. I didn't live off ad revenue from my crappy youtube show where every week I'd bash the movie for an hour.

It's one think to dislike or hate a movie that has already been released. But to root against the success of a movie that isn;t out yet? It doesn't make sense. How does it affect your life? If you aren't interested in a movie, don't see it. Why hope it fails and hope that others also don't like it?

Guest El Chalupacabra

What is that all about, anyway? Surely it's not the smile thing. If so, I have to say people who are pissed about that simply don't live in the real world.

More or less. It's the spark that lit the fire anyway. Once these things get started and people start getting money for outrage articles/videos, then it's basically all looking for excuses. Last I checked they were going crazy because she said Captain Marvel could pick up Thor's hammer or something.

Oh man. That is so ridiculous. I used to defend some fandom/fans, because I am a fan of various franchises, myself. But there are fans, and then there are bat s*** crazy fans. And didn't Captain America sort of pick up Thor's hammer, so not even unprecedented?

BTW, thank you for explaining that.

Guest El Chalupacabra

New trailer is out, full of Carol smiling, smirking, snarking, and being aggro.

If you want to know who was on the wrong side of SmileGate, watch for anyone who pivots to some other contrary criticism now.

I've tuned them out anyway. I think that is all idiotic.

I can understand criticizing a film if it is bad. But this film hasn't even come out yet. Stupid. Besides, before this film, I didn't know who Bree Larson was. I only learned later on she was in that King Kong movie a couple years ago, which I actually liked.

She's one of those actors who has been in a bunch of things and you don't realize it until you see the movie again years later. Scott Pilgrim, 21 Jumpstreet, King Kong, Spectacular Now. I always forget too she was the daughter in United States of Tara.

She basically got big after Room.

New trailer is out, full of Carol smiling, smirking, snarking, and being aggro.

If you want to know who was on the wrong side of SmileGate, watch for anyone who pivots to some other contrary criticism now.

The wrong side of SmileGate would be either side speaking in absolutes about the other side I imagine.

You know, sometimes there is a wrong and right. Not everything is a middle ground, grey area. Smilegaters were ***holes.

Afterthought: Im already sorry that I posted. lol

You know, sometimes there is a wrong and right. Not everything is a middle ground, grey area. Smilegaters were ***holes.

There's plenty of middle ground. I occupy it. I thought her performance was monotone and expressionless and hoped it wasn't representative of how she'd be throughout the film. I've got a timestamped comment before the controversy where I said as much.

And I also thought Brie Larson was out of line for attacking people for creating or spreading a meme about it. I joined and join people in saying that she was in the wrong for doing so. She created the bad blood and is easily the person most signally responsible for this being a thing. The people who defended her and tried to explain why it was okay for her to paint people with a broad brush were also in the wrong.

And I further condemn the people who went beyond calling B.S. on her and doing their best to prove her correct. And pretty much condemn those that are now not letting it go and who are complaining about silly things in order to keep the controversy stoked (latest seems to be that she has a butt double, can't say I watched the video to know how that's relevant).

This whole thing is literally the result of a trailer that was poorly received by many, a star who couldn't handle criticism without making herself into a victim, and finally, a bunch of people running to the sound of the gunfire as per usual. It certainly is not a case of only one side being in the right.

There is a middle ground and I operate within it, everyone that said something opposite to my view is in the wrong. The real victim here is the bully that had to be the object of a meme posted by their victim. If she did not want to be attacked over her acting then the trailer should have been better.

To save some time...

How dare you use my words against me in some attempt to display yourself as witty. I clearly meant the opposite of what you thought I wrote.

If she did not want to be attacked over her acting then the trailer should have been better.

Umm, yeah. People criticize and even make fun of performances sometimes. Respected professional critics do it. Mystery Science Theater 3000 is but one example of a whole cottage industry dedicated to it. This has been going on since well before the internet came around and it usually doesn't turn into this.

everyone that said something opposite to my view is in the wrong.

By definition, this is true of everyone. :shrug:

What's up with you lately Robin? When did you lose any sense of tolerance for opposing views?

I have not, or better meant as I dont believe so, however I will review. I use words and phrases like sometimes, maybe, perhaps, I feel, I dunno.

Three Hours (or so) Later:

I reread everything Ive written here for two years, sounds like a lot, but it really isnt (also yay for the search function actually working). Granted I didnt submit myself for review to an independent source, mostly because who the fuck cares about two idiots on a message board, but other than when I intentionally got drunk to dive deep into the anxiety of our political climate (and even then I hit both sides) I cant see what youre talking about. My initial reaction to your suggestion about myself appears valid. What I write is full of maybes and perhaps and I feels and I think and oh really and I dunnos and...

That said, it wasnt a total waste of my time. Thanks for reminding me what its like to be gaslighted. If you want to nail me for something, next time at least buy me dinner first, my wife and I enjoy Texas Roadhouse.

Afterthought: Also there are clear delineations between criticism, satire and harassment. The Smilegaters fall under the latter.

Maybe you just don't recognize it. I have been noticing it.

Afterthought: Also there are clear delineations between criticism, satire and harassment. The Smilegaters fall under the latter.

If you say so. How this is any different than Fozzie saying Hayden Christensen looks like he's pooping while acting, I'm not sure.

Maybe youre thinking of someone else, my posting history is searchable.

As for your theoretchical, if you insist that you dont understand the differences between that and the harassment endured by Brie Larson and others (eg. Kelly Marie Tran) then I have to wonder what game youre playing at, because that is basic comprehension stuff.

Naw, it's you. I've been wondering about it for awhile now. I'm not gaslighting you at all either. I'm remarking on it because I was surprised at the shift in your tone.

Anyway, I think there's a chicken and egg problem here. The harassment happened after she made the attacks and the usual suspects came running. Previous to that it was pretty much just legit making fun of an unflattering trailer. This being the internet, I'm sure someone was being a dick, but the overall tone of the criticism was not the same before Larson decided to play victim.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.