Loki & Scarlet Witch coming to TV (or, er, Disney's upcoming streaming service)

Iceheart

I appreciate that Disney isn't insulting us by pretending that anyone who "died" in Infinity War is going to stay dead.

Well, Loki is one of like three that might actually stay dead. Then again, it's Loki. We'll probably find out he never died in the first place. He did die in a rather dumb way after all.

I can't speak for ShadowDog, but I'll speak for myself:

I'm not a comic book fan. Never have been. They're expensive and don't have a high ROI. My main superhero fandom was some cartoons as a kid (Batman: TAS primarily) and movies. And the "everyone resurrecting all the time" thing hasn't been a huge part of either of those things until whatever happens with Avengers 4. And I think that should mostly be related to undoing "the snap" instead of bringing back everyone who ever died in the history of history.

Although, having said that, it would be interesting to see a universe in which Uncle Ben comes back from the dead.

Honestly, ditto. Although it's not like I don't remember the "Death of Superman" when that happened, since it made national news at the time, so I guess I was aware of the reboot and resurrection trope even if the versions of the properties I enjoyed didn't use them.

I seriously doubt they'll turn back time all the way back to Uncle Ben (I didn't actually watch the new MCU Spider-Man, was there an Uncle Ben?). But I can see them turning it back far enough to get Loki and Gamora back. I figure anyone who died in Infinity War is fair game for resurrection, but anyone before that isn't.

It wasn't dumb, it was the completion of Loki's character arc from selfish ass to hero. Old selfish ass Loki would have considered it a dumb death but he was an ass after all.

My issue wasn't with the character arc.

It was dumb in the sense that it's hard to imagine Loki would have such a weak plan as he's the most innately conniving character in the MCU. Loki just watched Thanos manhandle the Hulk and Thor without breaking a sweat and he thought he was going to save the day by stabbing Thanos after a transparent play at toadying?

The only logical explanation for his actions I can think of is that he knew the villains' power levels were going to be all over the place in this movie depending on who they were fighting. Either that, or he somehow faked his death again.

Though I'm certainly open to the movie just didn't think hard enough on his death and had him do something out of character for brevity's sake.

I'm just talking about Loki specifically since he's already faked his death a couple times. That's gotten old with him. Stay dead, mofo

Ha, good point. I'd alternately be okay with them staying hard with the trope and everyone just rolls their eyes and stops giving him any attention and he gets wilder and wilder with it to try to get their attention back.

What people saying Loki is coming back are ignoring (or not realizing) is that his death was an intentional completion of his character arc. There was nowhere left for his character to go. Thor even said in the last Thor movie that Loki had become ridiculously predictable in his constant betrayals and reversals and then rinse and repeats. If he stays loyal nobody will believe it and just sit there waiting for the next betrayal. If he betrays everyone (including the other characters) are bored because of course he did. There is NOWHERE for his character to go. Him staying dead is the only thing that makes sense.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I'd be OKAY with Loki returning, if his character changes drastically in some fundamental way that we haven't seen before, but I agree there isn't much left for him to do at this point, and keeping him dead is probably for the best.

If he stays loyal nobody will believe it and just sit there waiting for the next betrayal.

I don't know, if they were ever going to make a standalone Loki movie, that sounds like a pretty fresh premise to me. And an idea just popped into my head.

May 2021: Thor 4

This is your typical Thor movie. He's got his troublesome brother he can't trust, the pieces of Asgard are being put back together and something wants to destroy the newly rebuilt rainbow road. Lot of jokes, lots of fun, lots of Chris Hemsworth being ridiculously charismatic.

July 4 weekend 2021: Loki

This movie replays the events of Thor 4 from Loki's angle. Loki's given up on making plays for power and just supports his brother. Thor doesn't trust him though, and when the big bad comes around, Loki finds himself on the outside of the circle of trust. Due to this, Loki starts manipulating the events of Thor 4 from behind the scenes, using his trickery to turn enemy allies against each other. Replacing key players to sew confusion. Basically making events fall into place for Thor to take advantage of and earn all the praise. Eventually, he gets an opportunity to betray Thor from the big bad but turns it down.

He returns in time for the big celebration we saw at the end of Thor 4. Loki gets none of the credit, but Loki isn't empty-handed. He returns with the source of the enemy's power, which he keeps for himself. One never knows when it'll be needed.

I don't know, I think it'd be an interesting new take on him.

That a Stephanie Meyer reference?

Naw, that's just re-telling a finished story from a different character's POV. There wasn't much to add really because Meyer wrote a complete story. If you want to compare it to a (much better) young adult vampire novelist, you'd be better off going with Richelle Mead's Glittering Court series. A series that knew it was going to tell the same larger story three times over from the start and so allowed the supporting character to hide their motivations and actions from the main character until it was their turn to be the lead and tell their own tales.

Not that either of them came up with the idea of alternate POV storytelling.

And now we know that Poe read Midnight Sun and also possibly Grey.

Alternate POV stories may have been around since the invention of storytelling, but you're never going to get the most recent and most controversial examples out of anyone's head. Meyer and James may not have invented or even re-invented the wheel, but good luck getting anyone to think of any example other than theirs.

Except you, obviously. You're an exception to the rule.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, it's definitely not. I'm just saying that if Disney went that route, there would be a whole lot of comparison to Meyer and James.

Given who plays Loki, the memes alone will be worth it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.