5. The Undiscovered Country

6. Generations

7. Beyond

8. Star Trek (2009)

9. Into Darkness

10. Nemesis

11. The Final Frontier

12. The Motion Picture

It's been way too long since I've seen Search for Spock to rate. Come to think of it, I'm not 100% I've seen it all the way through. I probably should one of these days.

I give Insurrection a lot more credit than most the common complaint that it was an upscaled television episode is a positive in my book, not a negative. It could have done with less humor, but I liked that they just went out and told a traditional Star Trek story instead of making everything BIG.

Guest El Chalupacabra

1.The Wrath of Khan (No other Trek film has, or ever will, touch it)

2. The Search for Spock (whenever I see TSFS, I have to see TWOK before, and TVH after...they really seem like one long movie)

3. First Contact (best TNG film, bar none)

4. The Motion Picture (criticized as slow, but I LOVE the cinematic and a great re-introduction to the TOS crew)

5. The Voyage Home (could have been the final TOS film, and if it were, I would have been happy)

6. Generations (I have come to appreciate this...used to HATE it)

7. Undiscovered Country (great ending to the TOS era, its only flaw is the failed humor)

8. Nemesis (flawed and would have done some things differently, overall an OKAY film)

9. Final Frontier (had as much good as bad in it, but still OKAY)

10. Insurrection (bland, failed humor, seemed more like a 2 part average episode)

11. Star Trek 2009 (gets kudos for FX and the fact that while a reboot, it still respects the old canon, unlike Discovery)

12. Star Trek Beyond (went a long way to make up for STID, but the BEASTIE BOYS as a secret weapon was dumb and really breaks the 4th wall)

13. Star Trek Into Darkness (Hated it...had great FX, though)

I've gained a new appreciation for The Motion Picture and Generations. Both have moved up on my list while the newer films have moved farther down.There really isn't much replay value in them for me anymore. Now with The The Motion Picture it gets points for just being so different than the other 12 films. I guess I now look at it as a noble failure and with Generations I feel similar. I liked the themes of mortality. Insurrection is another one that has moved up for me. I was watching the alternative ending the other day and it was so much more in line with TNG than the "shoot em up kill the bad guy ending" we got. It's too bad the studio interfered. Same with Nemesis getting practically every character bit cut.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Yeah, me too. For years, TMP, Generations, and Final Frontier were movies that ranked towards the bottom for me. In recent years, I have come to really appreciate the films much better, probably because my tastes have changed and I am seeing them with more mature eyes. TMP especially, despite being almost 40 years old, is a beautiful looking movie, and it is unfortunate that the new Star Trek movies and Discovery didn't incorporate more of what made TMP, into them. There really is a sense of wonderment, exploration, (pun intended) discovery in it.

I used to see Generations simply as the one where Kirk dies, the Enterprise-D is destroyed, and Data's character is destroyed, and hated it. Now, I see Kirk's death as a closure of his character arc (at least we know what his fate was) and in an odd way no big deal since both Star Trek 2009 and sequels, as well as franchises now willing to kill off main characters (EG: Dax in DS9, Data in Nemesis, Trip in ENT, Han Solo, Luke Skywalker, etc), Kirk's death seems almost necessary. Data's character was fixed in FC,a nd really in that light, Data in Generations seems to make complete sense now. Finally, though I liked the Ent-D, it probably was the better move to introduce the En-E, if for no other reason than the Ent-D being around for 7 years, as well as occasional Galaxy ships seen in DS9 and VOY, and the TNG movies needing a new ship to wow the audience with.

Finally with Final Frontier, I still rank it lower, but my opinion of it has really softened. Every time I see the scene with Bones and his dying father, it gets to me.

I know what you mean. Hopefully they'll incorporate some of that wonderment and exploration back into the Picard series with Patrick Stewart. I've really had enough of the shoot 'em up action stuff for now. It's okay every once in awhile but they're leaning way too heavily into it. I want more of TNGs thoughtfulness and intelligence.

And you know, that scene with Bones and his father I always felt was one of the best scenes in any of the movies. It's too bad the rest of the movie's not on that level, but like you I've softened on it too.

The JJ Trek wasn't what I wanted, and I still have a lot of issues with STID, but they almost get a pass for being a shoot-em up. It's hard to make a Trek movie, and not have action. They've literally been like that since TWOK.

But with Discovery, that is where the shootem up stuff really irritates me. I only saw the first episode, but have been spoiled on the rest. ANd glad I was spoiled because I have no interest in that show.

Hopefully the Picard show is more like TNG than Discovery.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.