Captain Marvel

Iceheart

Yes, plenty, when *appropriate.

*meaning she doesnt rip out a larynx and then do a calendar pose or even blue steel.

I would have expected Le Tigre.

We might see it tonight. Is there a continuity issue if I haven't seen Ant Man and the Wasp?

Antman and Wasp is pretty stand alone. It references Civil War, and the button acknowledges Infinity War and sets Scott up for Endgame, so you should be fine.

In case anyone needs to catch up, Infinity War and Antman & Wasp are on Netflix.

I really enjoyed it. Some stuff Id read online prior to seeing it made it sound like the character was bland and emotionless but found it to be the exact opposite, after this shes definitely one of my favourite personalities in the MCU.

Only nitpick is characters just seem to appear in places conviently to move the plot forward. Couple of times I asked myself how they got where they were or how they knew to even be there in the first place.

But very minor complaint. Looking forward to seeing her interact with the other Avengers.

Generally speaking I really it-- it had a lot of the same issues that all Marvel movies had, namely that they never drift too far from the same formula... but they are good at said formula, and it's fun.

I'm definitely fatigued by superhero movies. I had a blast watching it, but it's not going on my BESTA EVA film list, nor will I rewatched it more than a couple times once it comes to video... but in the moment I liked it, and LOVED her.

Of the few problems I had with the movie, Larson/Carol definitely wasn't one of them. As a long time Danvers/Warbird/Binary/Ms. Marvel/ Captain Marvel fan, I thought justice was done to the character and her base story. If anything, the move wasn't as good as she was.

My only real problem was that the de-aging on Sam Jackson was so perfect I could NOT wrap my head around it. I don't even know what's real anymore! I wonder how well those effects would work on somebody who doesn't have a 20 year history on film. Jackson in this, Russell in GOTG2, Douglas in Antman, even going back to Bridges in Tron-- these guys all have countless movies and footage that can be referenced to get the look right.. I wonder if they can do this to anyone now.

More than anything, I'm just happy that the aggro fanboy contingent that thinks their angry youtube videos can torpedo a movie are being proven wrong. Solo was NOT the case-sample, this was.

Literally sitting in the theater right now waiting for end credits scene #2.

I spent the first 20 minutes or so of the film wondering why I was supposed to care, but once our Captain met up with Fury, it was a good albeit formulaic ride.

I do think its funny that Marvel was like you thought we brought you here to talk about feminism, but now that youre here lets talk about the evils of colonialism and how we should help refugees of said evil colonial systems!

Generally speaking I really it-- it had a lot of the same issues that all Marvel movies had, namely that they never drift too far from the same formula... but they are good at said formula, and it's fun.

I'm definitely fatigued by superhero movies. I had a blast watching it, but it's not going on my BESTA EVA film list, nor will I rewatched it more than a couple times once it comes to video... but in the moment I liked it, and LOVED her.

Of the few problems I had with the movie, Larson/Carol definitely wasn't one of them. As a long time Danvers/Warbird/Binary/Ms. Marvel/ Captain Marvel fan, I thought justice was done to the character and her base story. If anything, the move wasn't as good as she was.

My only real problem was that the de-aging on Sam Jackson was so perfect I could NOT wrap my head around it. I don't even know what's real anymore! I wonder how well those effects would work on somebody who doesn't have a 20 year history on film. Jackson in this, Russell in GOTG2, Douglas in Antman, even going back to Bridges in Tron-- these guys all have countless movies and footage that can be referenced to get the look right.. I wonder if they can do this to anyone now.

More than anything, I'm just happy that the aggro fanboy contingent that thinks their angry youtube videos can torpedo a movie are being proven wrong. Solo was NOT the case-sample, this was.

I haven't seen this but from what I've seen of Jackson, yeah it's pretty amazing. Makes ya wonder if they coulda just put Harrison in "Solo".

I spent the first 20 minutes or so of the film wondering why I was supposed to care, but once our Captain met up with Fury, it was a good albeit formulaic ride.

I do think its funny that Marvel was like you thought we brought you here to talk about feminism, but now that youre here lets talk about the evils of colonialism and how we should help refugees of said evil colonial systems!

Yeah, unfortunately using the Skrulls to touch on that subject feels short sighted by Disney/Marvel... considering the Skrulls eventually try to take over the Earth and dominate Humanity then the analogy in Captain Marvel extrapolates out to every Right Wing wetdream/nightmare.

Yeah, unfortunately using the Skrulls to touch on that subject feels short sighted by Disney/Marvel... considering the Skrulls eventually try to take over the Earth and dominate Humanity then the analogy in Captain Marvel extrapolates out to every Right Wing wetdream/nightmare.

Oh, well, that adds another wrinkle.

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/603684/neural-network-learns-to-synthetically-age-faces-and-make-them-look-younger-too/

Older article, from 2017, but apparently there is software that can make supposedly accurate guesses on what someone looked like at various ages. Id imagine the software somehow has some sort of biological, structural understanding which then mimics human artists creativity and knowledge on those topics and then similarly produces a visual.

Maybe the software is even more capable now. I mean if youre a subscriber to the idea of parallel thinking or the great interconnected subconscious of the universe... universe... universe (echo effect)... then if those French dudes were working on it years ago then someones elses (yes, plural, it kinda works) was and is still working on it today.

I doubt it. They don't have the kind of information and previous pictures of people's faces through the years.

Oh hold that thought, I'll be right back - gotta go participate in the latest totally innocuous #10YearChallenge on facebook!

The second the tesseract appeared, my mind kept going back to the First Avenger. It was a stretch to add it and felt unnecessary.

IO9 has an article that tracks the Tesseract chronologically. It makes sense, but I agree. When it ended with Howard Stark finding it you'd assume it was with Shield up until Avengers when Loki stole it. This was a weird sidestep.

In a way, my only continuity issue with Captain Marvel was how SHIELD was treated. It almost seemed more like it was in continuity with JUST Iron Man, in which SHIELD didn't even have a name at first. That was all retconned with Captain America, Agents of SHIELD, Agent Carter, and Ant Man by saying it actually existed all these years since Cap1.

Read the i09 article. Seems like they pieced their own timeline together by going on what we are given in the movies. Which obviously is what Marvel wants, but man it just opens up a lot of questions? Was the Winter Soldier involved? Did the military co opt Stark's stuff after he was killed? What was the lunch box made of? I mean the tesseract burned straight through Red Skull's ship. Maybe it's because it was a Fonzie lunch box.

Isnt the Tesseract sentient or quasi so? I think I recall that but Im fuzzy at the moment and cant pin if I am recalling something like the Tardis instead. If so, then maybe the Tesseract goes where it wants (re: Staying in the lunchbox, with Goose, but burning the Red Skull whatever).

As for continuity, after caring for years about various ones I just cant give a damn anymore, Scarlett. As long as the film or book or whatever I am enjoying is logically consistent within itself I dont care if if makes no sense why Leia remembered her mom or why Shield and Nick acted like noobs.

Read that the movie has made around $800 million worldwide and is on track for $1 billion. Take that Russian trolls.

And there's something for everyone: a female superhero who is a military vet who wears a (fairly) patriotic super suit.

One thing that makes me happy, at least from the marketing, is that they don’t seem to be treating her like a sexual object. Black Widow is bad enough.

One thing that makes me happy, at least from the marketing, is that they don’t seem to be treating her like a sexual object. Black Widow is bad enough.

Hence the classic Ms Marvel costume never likely to appear!

Guest El Chalupacabra

Read that the movie has made around $800 million worldwide and is on track for $1 billion. Take that Russian trolls.

And there's something for everyone: a female superhero who is a military vet who wears a (fairly) patriotic super suit.

Holy crap what a flop! You people owe youtube an apology.

It was fine. I haven't been particularly wow'd by many of the Marvel films, they're all competent to me. I think it's on par with other solo outings like Ant Man and Doctor Strange. I liked that it at least had some new/interesting plot ideas, especially in the second half. The first half felt like cookie cutter Marvel and was a bit of a slog. Really picks up when she teams up with Nick Fury and that was fun, but I think they could have taken it in more of a MIB meets Last Starfighter sorta direction.
I'll agree with a lot of the reviews saying she was a bit of a flat-line personality. Her arc isn't very engaging, but at least they could have had fun with her transition from earth pilot to alien assassin back to human and then to super-duper-hero.
I wish they had based her partly on Daria, or Enid from Ghost World, given a stronger sense of the fish out of water thing as both: a human who didn't totally fit the mold, and then as a literal one trying to find her way back.
I was hoping Marvel would go more in the direction of Thor Ragnorok and start taking more creative risks, but I guess they were mostly concerned with fitting Carol Danvers into the basic Avengers formula.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't recall, but was there any reference to those Skrulls representing them all? I got the impression they may have been some marginalized faction and a small part of Mar-Vell's larger plan. But now that they're in the MCU mix, I expect some familiar shenanigans.

I dont think there was any mention that these Skrulls were the harbingers or exemplars of what the Skrulls are or anything black/white like that. I also dont hold to that idea about them, meaning that whole monoculture thing that even Trek fails at a lot. I was just extrapolating the analogy out in comparison to how, unfortunately, that part of our rabid partisan culture could view it.

• 1 month later...

Finally got to see it tonight.

Thoughts:

Solid tier 2 Marvel movie, better than a lot of the origins other than Iron Man, Captain America, and GotG.

Brie Larson makes me feel old. Or maybe it's just the fact that I am old.

A big theme is men failing to let women succeed as women. As a father of two girls, that hit me.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.