Captain Marvel

Iceheart

Guest El Chalupacabra

I'm someone who hasn't read comics in forever, and the only (Marvel) Captain Marvel I knew of is long dead, and hadn't realized Ms Marvel was renamed Captain Marvel until the MCU announced making this movie a couple years ago. Even then, the only two things I knew about MS/Captain Marvel was a) she had her powers stolen from Rogue in the 1990s Xmen cartoon and b) she is basically a female Superman with similar powers. I don't know anything about Bree Larson, nor do I care to look it up. Maybe I will catch this movie when it comes to Netflix like I do for most of the other single hero-centric movies, because when it comes to the MCU, the only ones I care to see in the theater are the Avengers movies.

I just have to say I don't understand all this controversy, and it seems to me kind of not that big a deal. I don't know for sure, but I think that is pretty much how most of the people awaiting this film or the next Avengers film feels about the topic.

• 5 months later...

Has anyone seen it? I see ShadowDog retweeting about it a lot, but he was also retweeting a lot of people who had already decided it was going to be the greatest thing ever.

Seeing tonight or tomorrow. Very curious to see how I feel. I've been a Carol fan since I was a kid so I am super excited-- but I've also started to grow tired of the Marvel standard structure. They are always a fun watch, but long-lasting love hasn't been felt for while.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I haven't seen the movie, but probably will wait until video. Unless the buzz is one should see it before End Game.

But according to Rotten Tomatoes, Critics love it at 81%, and audience mostly is panning it at 35% (as of this writing, at about 2PM Pacific).

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/captain_marvel

I am sure this will be another one of those movies that defenders are going to say it's a bunch of MGTOW woman-hater white dudes and Russian bots skewing the reviews, whereas the haters are going to call it a crap movie and blame Brie Larson's outbursts. The truth will probably be either somewhere between, or none of it, and it will be a decent popcorn flick, but not the greatest MCU EVAR, either.

All I do know is I am weary of all this political debate over this movie. I wish there were a way we could just enjoy a movie without the innerwebs ruining it.

The fan reviews are definitely not trustworthy, given RT had to turn off reviews in advance.

I’ll be honest, tweets in favor of the movie and people getting so bent out of shape over people being mean on the internet made me lose interest. Although the official 81% is telling. That’s IM3 and GotG2 level. Doesn’t really mean a lot, because I would rate First Avenger and Thor 1 higher than RT, but it also doesn’t scream “greatest movie ever”.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I hope it is a good movie, because based on the previews I've seen, it should be awesome to see in an IMAX. The vibe I get is its comparable to Dr Strange...slightly above average story but looks great in a premium theater setting.

That seems to be a fair assessment. I actually feel the same about it as Strange. I was excited, and now that it’s a thing I’ll acknowledge it’s a thing but it doesn’t excite me any more.

It's definitely getting hammered by trolls in terms of audience reviews considering it's got more reviews than Infinity War at the moment (not even a day after release) but in terms of standard fanbase, it sounds like it's not what it was hyped to be and pretty average....hoping to see it tomorrow so will make my own mind up then. Honestly I enjoy Marvel movies these days for the purist of escapism so I'm keen to see it.

I liked it, but Im not sure how much I would have liked it without Larsons approach to the role. I also liked Sam Jacksons take on a younger Fury, that was a treat. (Insert: Im aware the actors are reading lines, lol, so the writers and directors should get credit there too... I just felt these actors pulled off what they needed to do and the film was fortunate for that.) My kids loved it, as did my wife.

Afterthought: Ive started to think about these Marvel films like episodes of a TV show. Like Next Gen or something. This film was a good episode, like say, TNGs Cause and Effect... which is a good episode that gets lost when people compile lists of the great episodes.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.