Okay Spotify subscribers, time to get real

Iceheart

What do your Daily Mixes look like right now?

I'll start, of course.

Daily Mix 1: Indie, mostly female-fronted hip-hop and punk, because apparently Spotify figured out I'm a raging feminist that likes a really good, fast beat. Frequently plays: Lizzo, Princess Nokia, Big Freedia, Awkwafina, leikeli47, Janelle Monae, LION BABE, M.I.A., St. Vincent, ***** Riot, Peaches, Sleigh Bells, tUnEyArDs.

Daily Mix 2: extremely chill hipster folk that I put on when I'm smoking a fat bowl in the bathtub. Frequently plays: Lord Huron, Radical Face, Iron & Wine, The Barr Brothers, Lucius, Langhorne Slim, Roo Panes, The Milk Carton Kids, Houndsmouth.

Daily Mix 3, 5, 6: mostly roots revival/alt-country stuff. I'm pretty sure it being hippie festival season tweaked this, as 5&6 are usually reggaeton (I do data entry for work, I need a fast beat and that's the fastest that I actually enjoy listening to for long periods of time) and a mix of trip-hop and indie pop (I was a weird, artsy kid). Anyway, 3 is more country-fried rock, 5 is more blues-y, and 6 is more traditional Americana, but really, they're all basically the same thing. Frequently plays: Dorothy, Bishop Briggs, Matt Maeson, Barns Courtney, Jack White, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, The Black Keys, The Dead Weather, Hozier, Band of Skulls, Bryce Fox, Jason Isbell.

Daily Mix 4: NuMetal, because I am a trash person who likes to get angry and angsty while exercising. Frequently plays: Marilyn Manson, Rob Zombie, Rammstein, Slipknot, Disturbed, Korn, Linkin Park, Godsmack, A Perfect Circle... I swear I skip whenever they try to throw butt rock in there :cry: :cry: :cry:

Guest El Chalupacabra

I don't believe in play lists. I like to have things shuffled completely at random, and be surprised with a song I haven't heard in a long time. I ride the bus for a total of an hour a day to and from work (park and ride sort of thing), and my mp3 player has a ton of music.

It's not uncommon for a typical ride to go something like this:

Kinks>Led Zeppelin>Metallica>Petshop Boys>Concrete Blonde>Cypress Hill>Johnny Cash>Skinny Puppy>Siouxsie>The Cure>Megadeth>Beethoven>Conan the Barbarian soundtrack>Digital Underground>Kings of Leon>Joe Satriani>NIN>Bauhaus>Scorpions>Journey>The Pretenders.

I don't believe in play lists.

Spotify's Daily Mixes are radio stations curated by your listening history. Sounds like they'd be right up your alley with a bit of station tinkering.

I'm addicted to the album. So don't really do playlists unless my wife and i go travelling by car. Then i might make a roadtrip playlist heavily influenced by whatever part of the world we are in.

What's it like to take a roadtrip and actually be able to be in a legitimately different part of the world?

I don't believe in play lists.

Spotify's Daily Mixes are radio stations curated by your listening history. Sounds like they'd be right up your alley with a bit of station tinkering.

I'm addicted to the album. So don't really do playlists unless my wife and i go travelling by car. Then i might make a roadtrip playlist heavily influenced by whatever part of the world we are in.

What's it like to take a roadtrip and actually be able to be in a legitimately different part of the world?

Aside from the obvious linguistic challenges.... really fun. But even the language barrier is fun. TBH though, rarely do we drive from the UK to mainland Europe (don't own a car...London, innit). So travel is usually a cheap flight and hire the car when there.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Didn't you fools make mixtapes as a kid? That's what playlists are.

Ha! I did for sure.

For me, at least on my MP3 player, all the music on there is my mix tape. But you do have a point.

Man, I loved to burn CDs and give them to friends. Custom mixes for each friend and doing CD exchanges on the WEF.

Same here. And before that, maxell mix tapes!

Man, I loved to burn CDs and give them to friends. Custom mixes for each friend and doing CD exchanges on the WEF.

Same here. And before that, maxell mix tapes!

I did both at the same time, back when it took a solid 3 hours to download a song from Napster, and duping from a cd to a tape was easily done on any boom box :lol:

Yeah, I think that we've lost something in the transition to everything being available all the time. Not saying that the trade-off isn't worth it, but there's a cost.

I know. It's funny they sell LPs and not CDs anymore.

The last record player I owned was part of an old record player/cassette floor standing combo unit with the *cough* graphic equalizer. It was either a Magnavox or Technics unit. Maybe even a Teac. Hard to remember.

Records were laborsome. If you weren't willing to listen straight through, you risked scratching your record by constantly picking up and moving the needle to listen to different songs. The you had to flip the record. And let's not even talk about losing the insert for a 45. "Thriller" was the first record I bought with my own money. After a year it was not fully playable. Skips and repeats from all the scratches.

Cassettes weren't free of work either. Having to fast forward and rewind could take forever depending on your tape player. I remember they started making players that could detect when you were close to the end of the tape so they could slow down. My player stopped so abruptly that it popped tapes every now and then. And who hasn't had to respool a tape that your player ate. Good times.

Where were you when we were hashing this out in the Your Musical Opinions thread a couple of months ago? I swear you were in that conversation...

I think that's what's so great about musical trends right now - audio purists want vinyl, vinyl makes a comeback along with hi-tech turntables. Not everyone wants to invest in a nice stereo system for their old car and phones are starting to phase out aux cords so you can't do the cassette patch anymore, so cassettes make a comeback. I'm betting cds will come back soon for that same reason, too. And if you want to song hop or discover new music, there's multiple streaming services to subscribe to.

My stereo system has a turntable, cassette player, cd player, cd burner, AM/FM radio, and bluetooth. So I can play my old jazz records on the weekend, and stream Spotify's "Workout Twerkout" mix while I'm exercising.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.