Flaming/insults/language

I seem to be the only admin who regularly visits, and a lot of mods seem to be MIA as well. Accordingly, I think that this is a good time to have a real discussion about how we interact and what type of guidelines should be enforced.

For the most part, I tend to let things go, figuring we're all adults who can handle conflict ourselves, and for the most part people are pretty capable of at least having the lowest level of acceptable behavior. I have two kids, so I'm already breaking up fights and telling them not to call names, so I really don't want to spend my non-parenting time doing the same thing.

So I ask: do things need to be more tightly controlled? And if so, to what level? If you think yes, do you think that the behavior that needs to change would be acceptable if it was someone you like doing the same thing?

I think letting arguments go is fine. I’ve been argueng heatedly with Poe for over a decade. Even though I step away and take breaks sometimes, ultimately I know he’s a person with a point... one I generally disagree with, but a point none the less.

But somebody who is clearly a troll, says the worst thing possible to get attention, and repeatedly drives other people away by being an ass— that’s what I don’t think should fly.

So Tex basically.

I'm for letting things fly. There is probably no one under the age of 25 that visits here, so... we can all deal with conflict ourselves. It can be obvious when things are going too far, and I don't think anyone is really afraid of calling people out if they are acting like {insert C-bomb here}s.

Given that the Lyceum is frequently our most active board, we probably won't do that.

But I could see a "politics in the Lyceum" rule working. But then you run into issues, because literally everything is politically charged these days.

I’ve been argueng heatedly with Poe for over a decade.

Poe's been here that long? That would mean his current account is obviously a new one. Who was he before, just out of curiosity?

Anyway, I have to say that Nightly is one of the most mature message boards I have ever belonged to. Even when things get heated, there is an underlying level of respect there that I've not seen on other boards, and in the end we all remain friends. It probably has to do with the general age group: I am thirty-four, and there are many members here who are much older than me, some of whom have seen Star Wars when it was originally in theaters.

As such, I don't think much else needs to be done in the way of policing. Things get heated, but not that heated.

Then again, I mostly keep to the Star Wars forum and occasionally pop into the cantina, so maybe I'm just not seeing the worst of it.

I’ve been argueng heatedly with Poe for over a decade.

Poe's been here that long? That would mean his current account is obviously a new one. Who was he before, just out of curiosity?

Anyway, I have to say that Nightly is one of the most mature message boards I have ever belonged to. Even when things get heated, there is an underlying level of respect there that I've not seen on other boards, and in the end we all remain friends. It probably has to do with the general age group: I am thirty-four, and there are many members here who are much older than me, some of whom have seen Star Wars when it was originally in theaters.

As such, I don't think much else needs to be done in the way of policing. Things get heated, but not that heated.

Then again, I mostly keep to the Star Wars forum and occasionally pop into the cantina, so maybe I'm just not seeing the worst of it.

I mean.. nightly is lightyears removed from a youtube comments section, or a gaming comments section in disquis for example. Even when the lyceum gets heated its very tame compared to the rest of the internet. The civility here is part of what keeps me coming back. Plus the community here is so small I feel like I kind of know everyone here. More or less.

I wouldn't even bring this up if Tank hadn't asked about the Lyceum mod, which made me think about our lack of mods. I think that the ignore feature works well for people that you just can't stand. If enough people are willing to interact with person X, that person will stay. If enough people ignore Person X, they'll give up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.