Your favorite entertainment news websites?

Iceheart

A lot of the reason I came back to annoy the piss out of you lovely people is because I gave up most social media a few months back (you'll still find me occasionally on instagram and pinterest. That's it).

This has left me with an ass-ton of time on my hands. And a need to use things other than social media to keep up on current events.

So, I collect favorite websites to read through. I have my favorites for current events, politics, and lifestyle, but I just can't find good arts & entertainment sources I actually want to stick with.

And now I turn to crowdsourcing. What's your favorite place on the innarwebs to stay up to date on tv, movies, and music news? Priority on SFW, please... that's the majority of where I do my internet reading. I'd say don't tell my boss, but I'm constantly emailing him articles, so I'm pretty sure he knows. NSFW is fine to add to my Apple News feed for the weekend, tho.

Music:

Pitchfork (for non metal)

Angrymetalguy.com

Nocleansinging.com

Bardotmethodology.com for great articles and interviews.

Sometimes I go straight to labels to see what new releases they have..

Nwnproductions and ironbonehead in particular. Or musicascatharsis for a lot of non metal.

Gaming:

PC gamer

IGN

Polygon

Film and tv

Nightly.net

Io9 should top anyone's list.

Seriously, though, I've found so many to be diminishing returns, and have unsubscribed or unliked them.

I'll visit Thrillist for its lists and read through Variety's headlines.

iO9 doesn't drive you nuts? I should probably give them a second chance now that I'm not using twitter to connect with them, though, I've not really given it a chance as a stand-alone news site before.

I always forget about Thrillist for news, thanks.

Film and tv

Nightly.net

Staying up on the latest news in Film & TV isn't your priority, I take it?

Not really. I like talking about series and things, and chatting about Star Wars but it's rare for me to read articles about films in development or series in development unless word of mouth has piqued my interest. I read empire every now and again but not with any regularity like the other sites listed.

Seriously, though, I've found so many to be diminishing returns, and have unsubscribed or unliked them.

Io9 was the best until the founders were bought out. Now it's a bunch of aggro fanboys calling themselves journalists.

Hollywood Reporter

AV Club

Comics Beat

Film Twitter

EW (out of habit and nostalgia, though they've dwindled to a sad gossamer shadow of their early hipster days)

...and I've been sorely lacking for a regular source of non-popular music-release news for years.

Part of me also wishes I were plugged more into the comics scene, like I used to be before the market fractionalization of the past several years. I'm not into Marvel/DC-only sycophancy, anonymous/poorly sourced/made-up comics movie rumors, or boneheaded cliques who think napalming other comics fans is super cool. But I can't figure out what else is out there...if there is anything else.

...and I've been sorely lacking for a regular source of non-popular music-release news for years.

Honestly? I think NPR does the best job of that. The rest of their arts coverage is a little basic, but between highlighting niche regional musicians on Tiny Desk Concert and their reviews and analysis, I've found a lot of new artists and feel like I'm keeping pretty decently in touch.

Bitch Media has great indie music coverage, too, but their niche is feminism, so the artists they cover skew female. But they also don't shy away from covering non-English-language music, so I've found some neat indie bands from all over through them.

I also scroll through Spotify's new release section every Friday morning. "*GASP* NEW MUSIC FROM ONE OF MY FAVS I MUST AND WILL LISTEN RIGHT THIS VERY MINUTE" is more satisfying to me than "Oh man, new music in three months as long as nothing gets caught up in delays!"

I spend the first few hours of my workday going through local news for work and national news for my own head. I have a list of about 40 sites my job has generated-most all are news only; Reuters, AP, UPI-so I don't rely on infotainment sites. I only go to them if a new item links me. Hollywood Reporter is the only site of all listed here I even recognize.

Io9 was the best until the founders were bought out. Now it's a bunch of aggro fanboys calling themselves journalists.
If you can read any Germain Lessier piece and consider him a professional journalist.. well.. maybe I just have really high standards.

Guest El Chalupacabra

As sad as it is, I get most of my entertainment info at this site, and follow whatever links are posted, or look it up myself for further reading, once I learn about it here. I don't have a preferred site I go to for entertainment news.

I've maturededec

Yeah, we all say that.

As sad as it is, I get most of my entertainment info at this site, and follow whatever links are posted, or look it up myself for further reading, once I learn about it here. I don't have a preferred site I go to for entertainment news.

Well, now I feel obligated to start threads whenever I read about something cool.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.