John McCain - American Hero!

Ms. Spam

Guest El Chalupacabra

As a vet myself, the thing I always liked most about McCain was he actually did all he could to help veterans, and he was willing to work with the opposition, rather dig his heals in and play party politics. He was an elder statesman who acted like an adult. Loved how he stood up to Trump and other crazies. He wasn't perfect, but I think over all, I think McCain did much more good than bad.

I almost voted for that guy!

I did, in the 2000 primary. If he had the GOP nomination instead of Bush, and won the presidency, I think we would have had a pretty different world. Maybe 9/11 could have been prevented or an event like it would have been postponed. The irony is I don't think he would have defeated Gore, though.

I would have voted for him in 2008, if it hadn't been for Palin.

Well, I certainly will not miss his warmongering or his ultra-statist policies. As for the man himself, may he rest in peace. Memory eternal.

McCain was pro military, but I don't think he was necessarily a warmonger. He was correct in supporting the surge because it would have been worse to just quit all of a sudden. To be fair, he was one of the first to denounce enhanced interrogations (AKA torture), and he also acknowledged Iraq was a serious intelligence failure, and the way Bush conducted the war was a mistake.

No one is perfect so it's usually it's pointless trying to judge people. Especially those you don't know personally. You look into his past though, you will find things that make you understand why the views on this man are so polarizing.

The media is funny though. Before McCain was a racist, misogynistic, warmonger who would drag this country into endless wars. Ever since him and Trump clashed, he was a man of honor who was trying to bring dignity back to the Republican party. Why won't the president attend his funeral? That's so petty and unpresidential! Didn't we go through this song and dance months ago when it was announced that McCain wanted Bush and Obama to speak at his funeral and that Trump wasn't to be invited? Now it's revealed that Sarah Palin isn't invited to the funeral. Say what you will about Palin, McCain is the one who made that decision. He hasn't spoken a word about hey since that electionn ended. People blame Palin for him losing that electionn ignoring the fact that McCain ran as bad a campaign as Bush did against Gore.

Chalup! My family in AZ have voted for him many times. If he hadn't have chosen Palin as his running mate I'd probably have given my vote to him. He definitely wasn't perfect but he did his best for veterans and I think that's important. Many current military and retired vets are the working poor now and the VA needs a lot of help to get better as a healthcare provider.

Guest El Chalupacabra

No one is perfect so it's usually it's pointless trying to judge people. Especially those you don't know personally. You look into his past though, you will find things that make you understand why the views on this man are so polarizing.

The media is funny though. Before McCain was a racist, misogynistic, warmonger who would drag this country into endless wars. Ever since him and Trump clashed, he was a man of honor who was trying to bring dignity back to the Republican party. Why won't the president attend his funeral? That's so petty and unpresidential! Didn't we go through this song and dance months ago when it was announced that McCain wanted Bush and Obama to speak at his funeral and that Trump wasn't to be invited? Now it's revealed that Sarah Palin isn't invited to the funeral. Say what you will about Palin, McCain is the one who made that decision. He hasn't spoken a word about hey since that electionn ended. People blame Palin for him losing that electionn ignoring the fact that McCain ran as bad a campaign as Bush did against Gore.

McCain stated he didn't want Trump at his funeral. Not that Trump would likely go, anyway. But the last jab at Trump from beyond the grave is kinda awesome.

I think McCain was past his prime in 2008 and his campaign was pretty botched. It was like Bush 41 VS Clinton in 1992.

As for Sara Palin, we all know that running mates are from a list that staffers put together for approval, and there is often party politics involved with pressuring the candidate. I suspect McCain didn't know her all that well, but accepted what people around him were telling him (or pressuring him) to do to "balance the ticket." Once she was selected, she went from seemingly reasonable to batsh*t crazy in .0047 seconds, and got even worse after the election. They blamed each other, but the media also has some blame because they focussed on Palin so much, and almost made it into "Do you want the first African American president, or do you want the first female VP," and also took potshots at McCain (some fair, some not).

Guest El Chalupacabra

Chalup! My family in AZ have voted for him many times. If he hadn't have chosen Palin as his running mate I'd probably have given my vote to him. He definitely wasn't perfect but he did his best for veterans and I think that's important. Many current military and retired vets are the working poor now and the VA needs a lot of help to get better as a healthcare provider.

Yeah, to me, McCain from 2000 would have been a decent president. McCain from 2008, not so sure. I think there was a marked change in him over those 8 years, and it could very well be health issues were taking their toll. The guy was sharp up to the end for his age, but I think he was not as sharp in 2008 as he was in 2000.

I admit I got sucked into that Obama hype. Had I known he would have been such a mediocre president and so disappointing, and if I could do it over again, maybe I would have voted McCain, despite Palin. Palin was my main reason for not voting McCain.

Guest El Chalupacabra

ah-thanks. I recall the immigration stuff and I agree he was a warmonger but I didn't recall any lady ****ery

He cheated on his first wife numerous times including with his last wife Cindy.

Not saying it was right, but keep in mind, he was f*cked up in the head for many years, after having spent time as a POW. It's not uncommon for marriages to fall apart for vets who see the kind of combat and horrors he did.

ah-thanks. I recall the immigration stuff and I agree he was a warmonger but I didn't recall any lady ****ery

He cheated on his first wife numerous times including with his last wife Cindy.

Not saying it was right, but keep in mind, he was f*cked up in the head for many years, after having spent time as a POW. It's not uncommon for marriages to fall apart for vets who see the kind of combat and horrors he did.
Perhaps. Seeing as though she was also in bad shape recovering from a major accident herself throws the mall back in his court. Guys don't get the benefit of the doubt when it comes to infidelity.

I liked McCain a lot more before I learned a bit about him. Trump was right about one thing, he was only a war hero because he got shot down. He was a terrible pilot who crashed 2 aircraft and heavily damaged a third (while knocking out power to thousands of people after hitting the power line he tried to fly under) before he even went to Vietnam. Any other pilot would have been yanked out of the cockpit for that incompetence and negligence, but he was the son and grandson of admiralty. So he got the opportunity to **** up again and get himself shot down. He didn't do anything special that day, he did the same thing as the other pilots, except that most of them did it right. Just another reckless privileged show-off whose ego and family connections far surpassed his skill. Not the stuff heroes are made of.

I liked McCain a lot more before I learned a bit about him. Trump was right about one thing, he was only a war hero because he got shot down. He was a terrible pilot who crashed 2 aircraft and heavily damaged a third (while knocking out power to thousands of people after hitting the power line he tried to fly under) before he even went to Vietnam. Any other pilot would have been yanked out of the cockpit for that incompetence and negligence, but he was the son and grandson of admiralty. So he got the opportunity to **** up again and get himself shot down. He didn't do anything special that day, he did the same thing as the other pilots, except that most of them did it right. Just another reckless privileged show-off whose ego and family connections far surpassed his skill. Not the stuff heroes are made of.

In McCain's defense... half hearted and all, he was kinda forced into doing this military stuff because it's some kinda of family thing of being a son of an Admiral. I look at his sons in their uniform and wonder how much "extra" it maybe for them or the people that serve with them.

In other news not related to your post:

40468505_2171107186436192_85282483990891

This appeared in my families feed this morning on Facebook. These are people who voted for McCain. Trump over party.

Well, I certainly will not miss his warmongering or his ultra-statist policies. As for the man himself, may he rest in peace. Memory eternal.

..or like every corner of the news media, develop collective amnesia about McCain voting against the Martin Luther King holiday. There was no excuse for that, and his so-called "evolution" on the matter--made as part of a speech on April 4th, 2008--the 40th anniversary of MLK's assassination--seemed completely motivated by his (ultimately) failed political ambitions that year.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.