R.I.P. Macstorm

NumberSix

So, uh, hey, here's the kind of event we rarely cover here on Nightly, though it's good that we haven't had to:

For longtime members who remember Macstorm as an active participant in the Save Point, as Moderator of our one-time Final Fantasy forum (one of our coolest-looking forums ever), and as an all-around good dude in great standing...

If you weren't already staying in touch with him on social media, I regret to pass along the news that Macstorm passed away this past Saturday morning. He'd been fighting cancer over the past several months or longer, and tweeting about it fairly candidly. At one point it was beaten down in remission and he kept right on posting about video games in general and handheld in particular. I'm pretty sure he'd even been making money at video game site writing.

One week ago things took a turn for the worse. His family (probably his wife) shared the news in one last tweet yesterday, attached.

R.I.P. Michael. Sorry about the FF Forum. :(

post-558-0-64372000-1535307163_thumb.jpg

Thanks for posting, NumberSix. I actually came here to post the same thing if it hadn't already been done. I got to know him most when a bunch of us from Nightly played Final Fantasy XI. During that time I was a dumb high school kid but he never talked down to me. Since then, I followed him on Twitter and every so often we would reminisce about our good old days. He was always super helpful, positive, and optimistic. I'm sad I didn't get to know him on a more personal level but that's how life is.

If anyone here didn't know, he was also a long-time Editor-in-Chief for the enthusiast site RPGamer.com. They've posted a short obituary about him: https://rpgamer.com/2018/08/rpgamer-editor-in-chief-michael-a-cunningham-passes-away/

RIP, friend.

Had many good times with Mac in the FF forum. Was always so jealous of all you folks that got together on nightly and played FF11 together. Always fun watching the daily updates in the FF11 thread though. Hate hearing this news about Macstorm. I play FF14 often, and sometimes reminisce about the fun times in the FF forum and wonder if any of you all are playing FF14 online with me. I remember the admins were against a FF forum, didnt think thered be enough traction for it, but we actually ended up making that forum pretty successful for a few years. Good times.

Mac always seemed to be a decent sort, I feel for his family both for his passing and having lived through what cancer does obviously to the loved one but also the family. My mother-in-law and father-in-law were both taken by cancer.

Man, that is really terrible news to hear. I remember him mostly around Final Fantasy and games in general. He was always great to me and had a lot of interesting takes on things. I remember he wrote up a proper video game review of my Basketweaver game and put it up on an unadvertised page of RPGamer.com (I think that was the site). Later on, his boss or whoever found it and asked him what the hell it was. I can't imagine how that conversation must have went, but it made me laugh.

He will certainly be missed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.