Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

R.I.P. Macstorm

22 replies to this topic

NumberSix

NumberSix

Content Provider Emeritus

• 29,724 posts

So, uh, hey, here's the kind of event we rarely cover here on Nightly, though it's good that we haven't had to:

For longtime members who remember Macstorm as an active participant in the Save Point, as Moderator of our one-time Final Fantasy forum (one of our coolest-looking forums ever), and as an all-around good dude in great standing...

If you weren't already staying in touch with him on social media, I regret to pass along the news that Macstorm passed away this past Saturday morning. He'd been fighting cancer over the past several months or longer, and tweeting about it fairly candidly.  At one point it was beaten down in remission and he kept right on posting about video games in general and handheld in particular.  I'm pretty sure he'd even been making money at video game site writing.

One week ago things took a turn for the worse.  His family (probably his wife) shared the news in one last tweet yesterday, attached.

R.I.P. Michael. Sorry about the FF Forum.  :(

Attached Thumbnails

• 20180825_194628_30416218478_o.jpg

Tank

Tank

Driver

• 34,015 posts
I hadn't stayed in contact, but I remember him from the before times. Always a very cool guy.

Metropolis

Metropolis

• 13,938 posts
RiP :(

Tex

Tex

• Members
  • 4,653 posts
So sorry to hear this. I didn’t post much in the Save Point, so I only remember him by name.

Hurts to lose one of our own. I wish I had known him better.

Jacen123

Jacen123

Woggle-Bug

• 36,675 posts

I'm really sorry to hear that.   I hadn't really thought about him recently (much like most former members), but as soon as I saw his username posted, I remembered him quite clearly as being a really good guy.  Thanks for letting us know, Six.

• Ryn +1 this

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

• Supporters
  • 8,209 posts

My sincere condolences.

Destiny Skywalker

Destiny Skywalker

Actually, I am a rocket scientist

• 20,573 posts
Very sad news, indeed. He was a really nice guy and solid contributor to this site. He really made the FF forum and Save Point what they were/are.

Iceheart

Iceheart

No.

• 20,212 posts

I only remember seeing the name around, I don't think we ever actually interacted... that's still awfully sad news. RIP.

Ryn

Ryn

Moonshadow

• Supporter/Mods
  • 28,520 posts

Aw man. Nice guy. RIP, Michael.

Sephi

Sephi

Curse you Frances, curse you

• Members
  • 18,788 posts

Thanks for posting, NumberSix. I actually came here to post the same thing if it hadn't already been done. I got to know him most when a bunch of us from Nightly played Final Fantasy XI. During that time I was a dumb high school kid but he never talked down to me. Since then, I followed him on Twitter and every so often we would reminisce about our good old days. He was always super helpful, positive, and optimistic. I'm sad I didn't get to know him on a more personal level but that's how life is.

If anyone here didn't know, he was also a long-time Editor-in-Chief for the enthusiast site RPGamer.com. They've posted a short obituary about him: https://rpgamer.com/...am-passes-away/

RIP, friend.

• NumberSix +1 this

David

David

LOOK ALIVE

• 14,788 posts
Had many good times with Mac in the FF forum. Was always so jealous of all you folks that got together on nightly and played FF11 together. Always fun watching the daily updates in the FF11 thread though. Hate hearing this news about Macstorm. I play FF14 often, and sometimes reminisce about the fun times in the FF forum and wonder if any of you all are playing FF14 online with me. I remember the admins were against a FF forum, didnt think thered be enough traction for it, but we actually ended up making that forum pretty successful for a few years. Good times.

Zerimar Nyliram

Zerimar Nyliram

Dude

• 3,035 posts

Memory eternal. :(

3 & 6 years to go...

3 & 6 years to go...

Mr. Impatient

• Moderators
  • 19,069 posts

Did not know him well, but what a damn shame.  My condolences to all that knew him well.  Whether on here, Twitter, or face-to-face.

Cancer ****ing blows.  Takes a lot of people far too young.

Fozzie

Fozzie

• Admin
  • 4,131 posts
I'm sad to read this. He was always great.

Robin

Robin

zambingo

• Members
  • 516 posts
Mac always seemed to be a decent sort, I feel for his family both for his passing and having lived through what cancer does obviously to the loved one but also the family. My mother-in-law and father-in-law were both taken by cancer.

JonTucker

JonTucker

Halo -4- Life

• Members
  • 9,216 posts
He was my best friend. Thanks for posting this.
  • NumberSix +1 this

TuskenRaider

TuskenRaider

decommissioned

• 32,565 posts

Man, that is really terrible news to hear.  I remember him mostly around Final Fantasy and games in general.   He was always great to me and had a lot of interesting takes on things.   I remember he wrote up a proper video game review of my Basketweaver game and put it up on an unadvertised page of RPGamer.com (I think that was the site).     Later on, his boss or whoever found it and asked him what the hell it was.   I can't imagine how that conversation must have went, but it made me laugh.

He will certainly be missed.

• NumberSix +1 this

OB Tampon Karaoke

OB Tampon Karaoke

Well, hello there.

• Members
  • 298 posts

:(  :(  :(

so sad. 

Gamevet

Gamevet

• 4,342 posts

Cancer sucks! It's sad to have a life snuffed out by such a horrible disease.

Iceman

Iceman

omit myself

• Members
  • 5,328 posts

So sad to hear. My condolences. RIP :(

Cashmere

Cashmere

puppy mama

• Reading Winner Rd 1
  • 7,249 posts
Thanks for sharing this, NumberSix. My condolences to all who knew him. :(