The Expanse

Guest El Chalupacabra

Guest El Chalupacabra

Anybody catch this show? Just started, and 2 episodes in. Not too impressed so far, though it does get an e for effort. Trying to hang in there waiting to get better, but my first impression is that the creator(s) of this show must have been Cowboy Beebop fans.

I'm currently working my way through season 3, and I've loved it so far, enough that I've read all the books in between seasons. It got cancelled by SyFy after season 3, but was rescued by Amazon (I think), which I'm very happy about. It does get better, especially when Bobby shows up in season 2.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I think so far, my issue is I don't have any real attachment to any characters, yet. The Naomi character seems like it may have been the inspiration for the Burnham character from STD (resemblance is uncanny). And whenever the Aghdashloo character is on screen, I have to fast forward, because I can't stand her voice. But I still have enough interest to give it through the end of season 1 before deciding to continue or drop.

Oh man, Chrisjen Avasarala (Aghdashloo's character) is one of the best characters. She genuinely doesn't give a fuck about what people think about her, which means she ends up just literally telling people to straight up fuck off and do as they're damn well told. She's a bitch that gets shit done and she knows it.

As for Naomi, I wouldn't be surprised. There's a lot more going on with her, which doesn't really come out until much later in the books, and even the series is only just beginning to touch on her history and why she's so good at what she does and why she's where she is. My advice is stick it to the end of the season, and if you find yourself wanting more, crack on. If you still don't care, at least you gave it a go.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Until you mentioned it, I hadn't realized the show was based on novels. That right there makes me want to continue giving it a chance.

I've watched half the first season...pretty similar vibe honestly, I respect what I've seen but it hasn't really grabbed me at all and always find myself faffing about on the phone when it's on. But I know it's meant to be one of the best sci fi shows around so I do want to give it another shot and try and get past the first season.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I finished the first season. It does get better. Not the best show, but I am interested enough in seeing season 2.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest El Chalupacabra

Yeah, this is a show that is like a slow burn for the first 4 episodes or so, then it starts to pick up. I'm taking a break while I binge watch a couple other shows, but will resume with season 2 after that.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Read the first book, loved it. Watched the pilot of the series really wanting to like it, felt like it was trying too hard to be BSG and felt kinda cheap.

And then nothing. I keep telling myself I should give it more of a chance.

Yeah, I got that vibe too. It came off like a BSG-lite, in the same way *Stargate Universe came off.

The Expanse is not a sci fi show (based on my viewing of season 1 only...it could be better, or worse) that will blow you away, but it is definitely watchable.

*SGU was inferior to SG1 and SGA, but I still liked it. It was one of those shows that had a rocky start, and I almost bailed on it, but I stayed with it long enough to come to like it enough that I wish we received a season 3 or a miniseries to wrap up the story. It ends on a cliff hanger.

There's only so many ways a modern era show can present science fiction. I think it's just a cheap out when you don't like one to say they're trying to rip off BSG. It's like saying any new show about the paranormal is trying to rip off X Files.

Been hearing this for a decade now. Who would WANT to rip off BSG when they shit their pants so badly in the final season?

Guest El Chalupacabra

There's only so many ways a modern era show can present science fiction. I think it's just a cheap out when you don't like one to say they're trying to rip off BSG. It's like saying any new show about the paranormal is trying to rip off X Files.

Been hearing this for a decade now. Who would WANT to rip off BSG when they **** their pants so badly in the final season?

I didn't say I didn't like the Expanse. Or SGU for that matter. All I mean to say is my first impression was "HMMM, the set and cinematography resembles BSG." And it makes sense to me that it would, considering all 3 shows were SyFy channel shows.

Been hearing this for a decade now. Who would WANT to rip off BSG when they **** their pants so badly in the final season?

It was the production design and cinematography. Even their ship scanner made the DRADIS sound.

I can name at least four dark hard scifi space shows since BSG that arent at all reminiscent of it-- Dark Matter, Altered Carbon, Lost In Space, and Discovery all come to mind.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.